Windows Vista Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

MMO

Windows Vista Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware
How does Windows Live OneCare compare with Norton Internet Security and
McAfee?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows Vista Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 03:04:39 -0800, "MMO" <mmocom@hotmail.com> wrote:

> How does Windows Live OneCare compare with Norton Internet Security and
> McAfee?

Norton is probably the worst Security software on the market.

McAfee is probably second worst.

I've never used OneCare myself, but from everything I've heard about
it, it would seem that it's not a whole lot better than the other two.

By the way, I would avoid the entire concept of a Security *Suite*,
and look for the best products in each of the categories. There's no
reason to assume that the company which makes the best firewall
product also makes the best anti-virus program, and so on.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Robinb

Re: Windows Vista Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware
umm you want the truth? <g>
I personally do not like Norton or Mcafee now Windows Live OneCare
I think it is better to get a free antivirus protection like AVG which works
very good with Vista
Get another antispyware program like superantispyware- (Vista now runs
Windows Defender but it is not enough protection) you can get it free or
purchase it. If you purchase it, it gives you real time protection and works
very nice with WD. This way you can set up a scan every day or once a week
depending on your needs.
If you purchase superantispyware it is coming out in a few weeks with
version 4. I am testing the version now and it is real sweet, so wait for
the newer version because it has been upgraded for Vista
and use Windows Firewall for your firewall security.
Espcially since it can control ins and outs.
Also get spywareblaster- that is free too
and if you are on broadband for extra security get yourself a router
If you do not need it for wireless they are real cheap, less than $30
Even if you need it for wireless you can get the linksys g router for $49.99
or less
that way you are totally protected.
robin
"MMO" <mmocom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How does Windows Live OneCare compare with Norton Internet Security and
> McAfee?

Kayman

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:41:12 -0500, Robinb wrote:

> umm you want the truth? <g>
> I personally do not like Norton or Mcafee now Windows Live OneCare
> I think it is better to get a free antivirus protection like AVG which works
> very good with Vista
> Get another antispyware program like superantispyware- (Vista now runs
> Windows Defender but it is not enough protection) you can get it free or
> purchase it. If you purchase it, it gives you real time protection and works
> very nice with WD. This way you can set up a scan every day or once a week
> depending on your needs.
> If you purchase superantispyware it is coming out in a few weeks with
> version 4. I am testing the version now and it is real sweet, so wait for
> the newer version because it has been upgraded for Vista
> and use Windows Firewall for your firewall security.
> Espcially since it can control ins and outs.
> Also get spywareblaster- that is free too
> and if you are on broadband for extra security get yourself a router
> If you do not need it for wireless they are real cheap, less than $30
> Even if you need it for wireless you can get the linksys g router for $49.99
> or less
> that way you are totally protected.

umm the truth? "You can't handle the truth"! ...totally protected??? LOL

--
Security is a process not a product.
(Bruce Schneier)
Mick Murphy

RE: Windows Vista Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware
There is nothing wrong with Vista's Firewall. And if you go into it, you
control traffic both ways.

For an anti-virus, you can't go past Avast, which also happens to be free.
It is also, vista 32bit and 64bit compatible.

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy is a very good anti-spyware program.

"MMO" wrote:

> How does Windows Live OneCare compare with Norton Internet Security and
> McAfee?

stever

Re: Windows Vista Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware

I use a laptop and I have to use wifi connections at home and college.
As in my college many other users log on to the same system and there is
a high risk of malpractices. But www.search-and-destroy.com has always
kept my laptop safe. The best quality about your software is that it can
detect all type of spywares. Thanks for such a wonderful technology.

--
stever
stever's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/stever.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Malke

stever wrote:

> I use a laptop and I have to use wifi connections at home and college.
> As in my college many other users log on to the same system and there is
> a high risk of malpractices. But [url removed] has always
> kept my laptop safe. The best quality about your software is that it can
> detect all type of spywares. Thanks for such a wonderful technology.

This is the second time you've posted this. Since the website to which you
link is hawking rogue antispyware which is malware, this is dangerous spam.
I've reported you.

To anyone reading this thread, do *not* go to the site. See:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-030507-2039-99&tabid=2

Malke
--
MS-MVP