Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Winows Firewall

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2008
8-Ball
 

Posts: n/a
Winows Firewall
Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red. I
continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that I
need to change?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2008
Robinb
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
are you using other firewall software? because that software would turn off
windows firewall
robin
"8-Ball" <8-Ball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:190F1F1D-2299-44C6-AC8D-5683C937F784@microsoft.com...
> Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red.
> I
> continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
> again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that I
> need to change?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2008
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
Is Windows Live One Care or another security suite installed ?
That would explain why the native Vista firewall is disabled.

Firewall: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...296ce1033.mspx

If not, strongly suggest you do a scan for malware:
Downloaded scanners -
http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
Click the Sysclean Package link. Read the ' readme_sysclean.txt. ' and
then download the latest Controlled Pattern Release
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/v...ruspattern-cpr

Online scanners:
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ [requires IE]
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/ [requiresIE]

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


8-Ball wrote:

> Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red. I
> continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
> again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that I
> need to change?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2008
Robinb
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
lol- you think like me Mow?
robin
"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
news:uMUuLvqaIHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Is Windows Live One Care or another security suite installed ?
> That would explain why the native Vista firewall is disabled.
>
> Firewall: frequently asked questions
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...296ce1033.mspx
>
> If not, strongly suggest you do a scan for malware:
> Downloaded scanners -
> http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
> Click the Sysclean Package link. Read the ' readme_sysclean.txt. ' and
> then download the latest Controlled Pattern Release
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/v...ruspattern-cpr
>
> Online scanners:
> http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ [requires IE]
> http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/ [requiresIE]
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
> 8-Ball wrote:
>
>> Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red.
>> I continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
>> again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that
>> I need to change?



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2008
ReneeA65
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
I'm so glad I checked this group and saw the vista firewall question. I've
been having the same problem with not only the Windows firewall turning off
on its own but also the McAfee's firewall/internet security error message
coming up all the time that it has been interrupted and has been turned off.
I noted the free virus software you suggest and just started using Threatfire
anti-virus program which is also a free download. Have you heard anything
about this program? I've seen several people mention "AVG" anti-virus
software where to I find this and do you know how it compares with Threatfire?
Thanks!

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Is Windows Live One Care or another security suite installed ?
> That would explain why the native Vista firewall is disabled.
>
> Firewall: frequently asked questions
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...296ce1033.mspx
>
> If not, strongly suggest you do a scan for malware:
> Downloaded scanners -
> http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
> Click the Sysclean Package link. Read the ' readme_sysclean.txt. ' and
> then download the latest Controlled Pattern Release
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/v...ruspattern-cpr
>
> Online scanners:
> http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ [requires IE]
> http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/ [requiresIE]
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
> 8-Ball wrote:
>
> > Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red. I
> > continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
> > again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that I
> > need to change?

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2008
Robinb
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
I do not like threatfire at all
I tested it on two computers and found it slowed down the computers to a
crawl.
Trying to uninstall it was a major horror on both of them
I have been using avg free for 10yrs with no problems and I have it on 40 of
my client computers and it just runs well and better, it is totally free.
robin
"ReneeA65" <ReneeA65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C5D6705B-F79C-4DA2-A22E-4250BAE17B9B@microsoft.com...
> I'm so glad I checked this group and saw the vista firewall question.
> I've
> been having the same problem with not only the Windows firewall turning
> off
> on its own but also the McAfee's firewall/internet security error message
> coming up all the time that it has been interrupted and has been turned
> off.
> I noted the free virus software you suggest and just started using
> Threatfire
> anti-virus program which is also a free download. Have you heard anything
> about this program? I've seen several people mention "AVG" anti-virus
> software where to I find this and do you know how it compares with
> Threatfire?
> Thanks!
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is Windows Live One Care or another security suite installed ?
>> That would explain why the native Vista firewall is disabled.
>>
>> Firewall: frequently asked questions
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...296ce1033.mspx
>>
>> If not, strongly suggest you do a scan for malware:
>> Downloaded scanners -
>> http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>> Click the Sysclean Package link. Read the ' readme_sysclean.txt. ' and
>> then download the latest Controlled Pattern Release
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/v...ruspattern-cpr
>>
>> Online scanners:
>> http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ [requires IE]
>> http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/ [requiresIE]
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>
>>
>> 8-Ball wrote:
>>
>> > Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in
>> > red. I
>> > continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
>> > again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting
>> > that I
>> > need to change?

>>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2008
Robinb
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
avg free you can get at
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-...virus/us/crp/0

robin
"ReneeA65" <ReneeA65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C5D6705B-F79C-4DA2-A22E-4250BAE17B9B@microsoft.com...
> I'm so glad I checked this group and saw the vista firewall question.
> I've
> been having the same problem with not only the Windows firewall turning
> off
> on its own but also the McAfee's firewall/internet security error message
> coming up all the time that it has been interrupted and has been turned
> off.
> I noted the free virus software you suggest and just started using
> Threatfire
> anti-virus program which is also a free download. Have you heard anything
> about this program? I've seen several people mention "AVG" anti-virus
> software where to I find this and do you know how it compares with
> Threatfire?
> Thanks!
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is Windows Live One Care or another security suite installed ?
>> That would explain why the native Vista firewall is disabled.
>>
>> Firewall: frequently asked questions
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...296ce1033.mspx
>>
>> If not, strongly suggest you do a scan for malware:
>> Downloaded scanners -
>> http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>> Click the Sysclean Package link. Read the ' readme_sysclean.txt. ' and
>> then download the latest Controlled Pattern Release
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/v...ruspattern-cpr
>>
>> Online scanners:
>> http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ [requires IE]
>> http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/ [requiresIE]
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>
>>
>> 8-Ball wrote:
>>
>> > Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in
>> > red. I
>> > continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
>> > again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting
>> > that I
>> > need to change?

>>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2008
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing ??? <g>
For you, I mean.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


Robinb wrote:

> lol- you think like me Mow?
> robin
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> news:uMUuLvqaIHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
>>Is Windows Live One Care or another security suite installed ?
>>That would explain why the native Vista firewall is disabled.
>>
>>Firewall: frequently asked questions
>>http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...296ce1033.mspx
>>
>>If not, strongly suggest you do a scan for malware:
>>Downloaded scanners -
>>http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
>>http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>>Click the Sysclean Package link. Read the ' readme_sysclean.txt. ' and
>>then download the latest Controlled Pattern Release
>>http://www.trendmicro.com/download/v...ruspattern-cpr
>>
>>Online scanners:
>>http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
>>http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>>http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ [requires IE]
>>http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/ [requiresIE]
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>
>>8-Ball wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red.
>>>I continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
>>>again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that
>>>I need to change?

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2008
8-Ball
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
Robin, when I install the AVG software, my firewall stays turned off; should
this still be happening?

"Robinb" wrote:

> avg free you can get at
> http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-...virus/us/crp/0
>
> robin
> "ReneeA65" <ReneeA65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C5D6705B-F79C-4DA2-A22E-4250BAE17B9B@microsoft.com...
> > I'm so glad I checked this group and saw the vista firewall question.
> > I've
> > been having the same problem with not only the Windows firewall turning
> > off
> > on its own but also the McAfee's firewall/internet security error message
> > coming up all the time that it has been interrupted and has been turned
> > off.
> > I noted the free virus software you suggest and just started using
> > Threatfire
> > anti-virus program which is also a free download. Have you heard anything
> > about this program? I've seen several people mention "AVG" anti-virus
> > software where to I find this and do you know how it compares with
> > Threatfire?
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Is Windows Live One Care or another security suite installed ?
> >> That would explain why the native Vista firewall is disabled.
> >>
> >> Firewall: frequently asked questions
> >> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...296ce1033.mspx
> >>
> >> If not, strongly suggest you do a scan for malware:
> >> Downloaded scanners -
> >> http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php
> >> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
> >> Click the Sysclean Package link. Read the ' readme_sysclean.txt. ' and
> >> then download the latest Controlled Pattern Release
> >> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/v...ruspattern-cpr
> >>
> >> Online scanners:
> >> http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.php
> >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> >> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ [requires IE]
> >> http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/ [requiresIE]
> >>
> >> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> >> ===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >> Never Forgotten
> >> ===============
> >>
> >>
> >> 8-Ball wrote:
> >>
> >> > Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in
> >> > red. I
> >> > continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off
> >> > again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting
> >> > that I
> >> > need to change?
> >>

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2008
mikecabq
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Winows Firewall
I'm having the same problem. I have already been using AVG for my virus
protection, and though it did a scan this morning, I did another this
evening, with no detections.

And as far as I know, I am not running any other firewall, only Windows
Firewall.

When I attempt to turn on the Firewall, I get a message box that says:
" Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall service?"

After clicking "yes", it tries to start the service then says:
"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service."

I've gone to the Services section of the Computer Management tool, and try
to start the service from there with this message:
"Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. For more
information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service,
contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5."

Looking at the Event Viewer, I find this:
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider
Event ID: 7024
Level: Error
User: N/A
OpCode: Info
More Information: Event Log Online Help

The last item is a link which brings up a window that has the following
additional information:
Product Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Locale ID: 1033

That all maybe too much information, but I don't know what all this means,
and I can't think of anything else to try. Any help anyone can provide would
be great. I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Thanks,

Mike


"8-Ball" wrote:

> Robin, when I install the AVG software, my firewall stays turned off; should
> this still be happening?
>
> "Robinb" wrote:
>
> > avg free you can get at
> > http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-...virus/us/crp/0
> >
> > robin
> > "ReneeA65" <ReneeA65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:C5D6705B-F79C-4DA2-A22E-4250BAE17B9B@microsoft.com...
> > > I'm so glad I checked this group and saw the vista firewall question.
> > > I've
> > > been having the same problem with not only the Windows firewall turning
> > > off
> > > on its own but also the McAfee's firewall/internet security error message
> > > coming up all the time that it has been interrupted and has been turned
> > > off.
> > > I noted the free virus software you suggest and just started using
> > > Threatfire
> > > anti-virus program which is also a free download. Have you heard anything
> > > about this program? I've seen several people mention "AVG" anti-virus
> > > software where to I find this and do you know how it compares with
> > > Threatfire?
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> > >

<snip>
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't Get My Mail At work when I view it at home on winows mail Bob B microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 12-05-2007 21:50
Winows defender hazzamat microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 2 12-02-2007 03:50
mailing pictures from Winows photogalery HanLee microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 08-12-2007 17:43
Crear Dual Boot teniendo instalado Winows Vista para agregar XP Agregar XP a Windows Vista microsoft.public.es.windowsvista 1 07-07-2007 16:35
winows mail franz.j.w.liebich microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.sonstiges 2 06-19-2007 21:07




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120