On the UAC...leave it alone!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

schatenjager is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the UAC...leave it alone!
My experience with the Vista UAC, despite all of the complaints and suggestions to turn it off entirely has been good. I find that once i'm finished with the initial set up of the machine and i've moved on to a normal workload, it almost never appears and when it does, it tells me that i'm doing something that could potentially have an adverse impact on the computer. It's not as intrusive as the Mac ads and the internet at large seem to think. I'd suggest that, unless you are doing system-altering tasks on a daily basis, leave it as is and don't disable it. The need to hit one extra button is nothing compared to the number of times in the past that i've inadvertantly managed to mess something up.
Bob

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!

How to disable UAC prompts and retain UAC security:

Run Regedit and navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]

Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin from "2" to "0".

"schatenjager" <schatenjager.34he42@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:schatenjager.34he42@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> My experience with the Vista UAC, despite all of the complaints and
> suggestions to turn it off entirely has been good. I find that once i'm
> finished with the initial set up of the machine and i've moved on to a
> normal workload, it almost never appears and when it does, it tells me
> that i'm doing something that could potentially have an adverse impact
> on the computer. It's not as intrusive as the Mac ads and the internet
> at large seem to think. I'd suggest that, unless you are doing
> system-altering tasks on a daily basis, leave it as is and don't disable
> it. The need to hit one extra button is nothing compared to the number
> of times in the past that i've inadvertantly managed to mess something
> up.
>

> --
> schatenjager

Steve Thackery

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!
> How to disable UAC prompts and retain UAC security:

A contradiction in terms. As I understand it from reading the MS White
Papers on UAC, in effect each UAC prompt is silently answered with a "Yes"
with this setting. This removes one of the key advantages of UAC: the
computer no longer warns you when something with security implications is
about to happen.

Suppose you are happily typing away in Word, and suddenly a UAC prompt
appears. You can be damn sure it's because of some malware and can say
"No". With UAC prompts disabled it gets a "Yes" automatically, and the
malware goes away happy.

Unless I've misunderstood the situation. Does anyone know better?

I agree with the OP: UAC is such a tiny annoyance after the initial set up
period that I don't mind it at all. I'm rather glad I get a warning when
something with security implications is about to happen.

Any why do Mac users mock it? The Mac (like virtually all Unix variants)
uses elevation prompts in much the same way as Vista uses UAC prompts.
What's the difference?

SteveT

Bob

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!
I think this will interest you.
http://4sysops.com/archives/why-and-...top-prompting/

"Steve Thackery" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> How to disable UAC prompts and retain UAC security:

> A contradiction in terms. As I understand it from reading the MS White
> Papers on UAC, in effect each UAC prompt is silently answered with a "Yes"
> with this setting. This removes one of the key advantages of UAC: the
> computer no longer warns you when something with security implications is
> about to happen.
>
> Suppose you are happily typing away in Word, and suddenly a UAC prompt
> appears. You can be damn sure it's because of some malware and can say
> "No". With UAC prompts disabled it gets a "Yes" automatically, and the
> malware goes away happy.
>
> Unless I've misunderstood the situation. Does anyone know better?
>
> I agree with the OP: UAC is such a tiny annoyance after the initial set up
> period that I don't mind it at all. I'm rather glad I get a warning when
> something with security implications is about to happen.
>
> Any why do Mac users mock it? The Mac (like virtually all Unix variants)
> uses elevation prompts in much the same way as Vista uses UAC prompts.
> What's the difference?
>
> SteveT

Man-wai Chang ToDie

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!
> A contradiction in terms. As I understand it from reading the MS White
> Papers on UAC, in effect each UAC prompt is silently answered with a
> "Yes" with this setting. This removes one of the key advantages of UAC:
> the computer no longer warns you when something with security
> implications is about to happen.

This brings up a question: can we change the way the UAC prompt us?

Could we change the prompt to ask for a password regardless of my
current privilege?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.1
Man-wai Chang ToDie

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!
> How to disable UAC prompts and retain UAC security:

I think for Vi$ta, we need to stop using the admin account even when you
are the only user of the PC. Vi$ta wants us to work with the UAC, not
against it.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.1
^ ^ 17:18:01 up 3:31 0 users load average: 1.04 1.03 1.00
? ? (CSSA):
Bob

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!
You don't need to do something just because Vista "wants" you to, it's your
computer.

"Man-wai Chang ToDie" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> How to disable UAC prompts and retain UAC security:

> I think for Vi$ta, we need to stop using the admin account even when you
> are the only user of the PC. Vi$ta wants us to work with the UAC, not
> against it.
>
> --
> @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
> / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
> /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.1
> ^ ^ 17:18:01 up 3:31 0 users load average: 1.04 1.03 1.00
> ? ? (CSSA):
> http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

DevilsPGD

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!
In message <e2uO2yvaIHA.5400@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> Man-wai Chang ToDie
<toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A contradiction in terms. As I understand it from reading the MS White
>> Papers on UAC, in effect each UAC prompt is silently answered with a
>> "Yes" with this setting. This removes one of the key advantages of UAC:
>> the computer no longer warns you when something with security
>> implications is about to happen.

>This brings up a question: can we change the way the UAC prompt us?
>
>Could we change the prompt to ask for a password regardless of my
>current privilege?

Yes. If you have Business or Ultimate, take a look at the group policy,
there are actually several different options available.
Man-wai Chang ToDie

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!
>> Could we change the prompt to ask for a password regardless of my
>> current privilege?

> Yes. If you have Business or Ultimate, take a look at the group policy,
> there are actually several different options available.

Thanks. I am using 64-bit Ultimate.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.1
^ ^ 10:33:01 up 20:46 0 users load average: 0.08 0.03 0.01
? ? (CSSA):
Man-wai Chang ToDie

Re: On the UAC...leave it alone!
Bob wrote:
> You don't need to do something just because Vista "wants" you to, it's
> your computer.

Micro$oft security means doing things they believe to be correct. I
don't think Window$ was designed and coded to support user-definable
security.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.1
^ ^ 10:34:01 up 20:47 0 users load average: 0.07 0.04 0.01
? ? (CSSA):