Allow blocked program

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Daniel

Allow blocked program
Hi

I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout down
of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.

When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.

How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting the
exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.

thanks

Daniel

Bob

Re: Allow blocked program
Add the program to firewall exceptions.

"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>
> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>
> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting the
> exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel

Re: Allow blocked program
No. that did not work.
"Bob" <bob@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:BK2dnfX3Ft6f7THanZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Add the program to firewall exceptions.
>
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>>
>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>>
>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel

Robinb

Re: Allow blocked program
look in Windows Defender and see if it is not allowing the program in
go to tools/options
robin
> No. that did not work.
> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:BK2dnfX3Ft6f7THanZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Add the program to firewall exceptions.
>>
>> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
>>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>>>
>>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
>>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>>>
>>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
>>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Daniel

PaulB

Re: Allow blocked program
What I do for these type programs is use the task scheduler to run them at
start up with elevated privileges.
--
Paul

"Robinb" wrote:

> look in Windows Defender and see if it is not allowing the program in
> go to tools/options
> robin
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > No. that did not work.
> > "Bob" <bob@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > news:BK2dnfX3Ft6f7THanZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> >> Add the program to firewall exceptions.

Bruce Chambers

Re: Allow blocked program
Daniel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>
> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>
> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to contact the
maker of the UPS to see if they offer a Vista-compatible version of
their software, or have a proven work-around for the product to work
with Vista.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Daniel

Re: Allow blocked program
Thanks to all, this seems to be the issue, there is a Vista help file on the
site but the download keeps failing.

cheers

Daniel
> Daniel wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>>
>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>>
>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel

> In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to contact the maker
> of the UPS to see if they offer a Vista-compatible version of their
> software, or have a proven work-around for the product to work with Vista.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

C.B.

Re: Allow blocked program

> Hi
>
> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>
> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>
> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting the
> exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel,

Go to the APC website and download the Vista compatible software. You
must uninstall the original APC software first. You can then download and
install the Vista software. This worked for me.

C.B.

Daniel

Re: Allow blocked program
What is the APC software?
"C.B." <notreallycbcbmullen@hotconcretesucksmail.com> wrote in message

> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>>
>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>>
>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel

> Daniel,
>
> Go to the APC website and download the Vista compatible software. You
> must uninstall the original APC software first. You can then download and
> install the Vista software. This worked for me.
>
> C.B.

Brink

Re: Allow blocked program

Daniel;599940 Wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> down
> of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>
> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown
> but
> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>
> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
> the
> exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I would use Task Scheduler to have it run at startup instead. It should
work better for you. See Method Two in OPTION ONE below.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

Shawn

--
Brink