Ownership of folders as shipped

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Dewey

Ownership of folders as shipped
I just finished migrating applications to my new Vista Home Premium OEM OS.

During the process I needed to get access to Systems32, the various user
settings folders and some others. Before you ask, one of the programs is to
use an ICC on my monitor, I forget what the others were. In any event, stuff
was being inserted to the various startup folders and I wanted to make get
rid of "first attempts" in order to start over. And, I ran into "Access
denied" and finally figured out how to "take ownership".

OK, for good or ill, I did it. Now that I have had time to read some of the
posts on this subject, I think I understand I can always get "full admin
access" (in the functional sense, don't care about the semantics) by going
into Safe Mode. I read these threads as I was preparing to set up a full
administrator account for maintenance and return my user account to its
original state. Now I see that makes little sense (or I think I understand).

So, I want to return ownerships to where they originally. Should have kept
notes, but when you spend 8 to 10 hours doing this with no one around who is
paid by personnel to provide support, you simply do the best you can.

Would someone please point me to the list of folders that are Owned by
System in the as shipped state?

I do agree with those who think MS has made headaches for themselves by
using the term "adminstrator" in a sense that does not comport with past
definitions. As someone who has set up micro computers since CPM, and who
remembers the "he man" stuff of configuring hi mem and all that crap, I
expect to have total control of MY computer. While I play with important
areas at my own peril, it is still my choice.

I agree that the Vista security scheme is not something that should be
circumvented. I can see a great deal of thought went into it. That is why I
now want to put my OS back to the way it was. But there should be clearly
stated instructions with each OS that explain UAC, what "Administrator" now
means, and how one can access every file written on their own computer.

As an aside, I do not do this for a living and I have grown weary of
becoming facile with new systems only to have that effort become pointless
five years later. CPM, DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows XP, now Vista.
And that does not even cover PDP-8, and the IBM 360! I gotta say, I am have
reached a point where I would much prefer to buy a new car or undergo a root
canal than migrate to a new OS.

Anyway, if you can forgive my OT rant, do please point me to the list of
folder ownerships.

Regards,

Dewey
SG