Vista and Norton Antivirus

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Joe Noreal

Vista and Norton Antivirus
I just got a new computer running Vista. I installed Norton Antivirus but in
the "Norton Protection Center" I get an "At Risk" warning regarding the
firewall. Specifically it reads "At Risk: Advanced Firewall". I have
Windows Firewall tuned on, I don't understand what it is talking about when
it says Advanced Firewall.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Vista and Norton Antivirus
NAV is supposed to disable the native Vista firewall and enable the NAV
firewall *if* it contains one.
Advise you to consult NAV's Help file or Symantec's web site for further
info as to it's firewall capabilities.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Joe Noreal wrote:

> I just got a new computer running Vista. I installed Norton Antivirus but in
> the "Norton Protection Center" I get an "At Risk" warning regarding the
> firewall. Specifically it reads "At Risk: Advanced Firewall". I have
> Windows Firewall tuned on, I don't understand what it is talking about when
> it says Advanced Firewall.

Joe Noreal

Re: Vista and Norton Antivirus
Hi, Thanks for responding to my question.

I have tried Symantec's tech support three times, and wasted over 2 hours
trying to work it out with them. It seems like none of their tech people are
familiar with Vista. They constantly reference settings that are in XP, but
not Vista. The product I use is just an Antivirus program and does not
include a firewall. It seems like NAV does not recognize Vista's firewall.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> NAV is supposed to disable the native Vista firewall and enable the NAV
> firewall *if* it contains one.
> Advise you to consult NAV's Help file or Symantec's web site for further
> info as to it's firewall capabilities.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Joe Noreal wrote:
>
> > I just got a new computer running Vista. I installed Norton Antivirus but in
> > the "Norton Protection Center" I get an "At Risk" warning regarding the
> > firewall. Specifically it reads "At Risk: Advanced Firewall". I have
> > Windows Firewall tuned on, I don't understand what it is talking about when
> > it says Advanced Firewall.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Vista and Norton Antivirus
Forget what the Norton Protection Center is stating as long as the
native Vista firewall is Enabled.
How can I put this politely ? NAV sucks, how's that <w>
It hasn't been compatible with Windows since NAV 2.0.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Joe Noreal wrote:

> Hi, Thanks for responding to my question.
>
> I have tried Symantec's tech support three times, and wasted over 2 hours
> trying to work it out with them. It seems like none of their tech people are
> familiar with Vista. They constantly reference settings that are in XP, but
> not Vista. The product I use is just an Antivirus program and does not
> include a firewall. It seems like NAV does not recognize Vista's firewall.
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>NAV is supposed to disable the native Vista firewall and enable the NAV
>>firewall *if* it contains one.
>>Advise you to consult NAV's Help file or Symantec's web site for further
>>info as to it's firewall capabilities.
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Joe Noreal wrote:
>>

>>>I just got a new computer running Vista. I installed Norton Antivirus but in
>>>the "Norton Protection Center" I get an "At Risk" warning regarding the
>>>firewall. Specifically it reads "At Risk: Advanced Firewall". I have
>>>Windows Firewall tuned on, I don't understand what it is talking about when
>>>it says Advanced Firewall.

Bob

Re: Vista and Norton Antivirus
What MowGreen said.

"Joe Noreal" <JoeNoreal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Thanks for responding to my question.
>
> I have tried Symantec's tech support three times, and wasted over 2 hours
> trying to work it out with them. It seems like none of their tech people
> are
> familiar with Vista. They constantly reference settings that are in XP,
> but
> not Vista. The product I use is just an Antivirus program and does not
> include a firewall. It seems like NAV does not recognize Vista's
> firewall.
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> NAV is supposed to disable the native Vista firewall and enable the NAV
>> firewall *if* it contains one.
>> Advise you to consult NAV's Help file or Symantec's web site for further
>> info as to it's firewall capabilities.
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> Joe Noreal wrote:
>>
>> > I just got a new computer running Vista. I installed Norton Antivirus
>> > but in
>> > the "Norton Protection Center" I get an "At Risk" warning regarding the
>> > firewall. Specifically it reads "At Risk: Advanced Firewall". I have
>> > Windows Firewall tuned on, I don't understand what it is talking about
>> > when
>> > it says Advanced Firewall.

Daniel

Re: Vista and Norton Antivirus
Give Norton's a big miss, Windows Firewall, defender AVG antivirus (free)
and a bit of common sense is all you need.

cheers

Daniel
"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> NAV is supposed to disable the native Vista firewall and enable the NAV
> firewall *if* it contains one.
> Advise you to consult NAV's Help file or Symantec's web site for further
> info as to it's firewall capabilities.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Joe Noreal wrote:
>
>> I just got a new computer running Vista. I installed Norton Antivirus
>> but in the "Norton Protection Center" I get an "At Risk" warning
>> regarding the firewall. Specifically it reads "At Risk: Advanced
>> Firewall". I have Windows Firewall tuned on, I don't understand what it
>> is talking about when it says Advanced Firewall.

Bob

Re: Vista and Norton Antivirus
Add Spybot Search and Destroy as well.

"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Give Norton's a big miss, Windows Firewall, defender AVG antivirus (free)
> and a bit of common sense is all you need.
>
> cheers
>
> Daniel
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>> NAV is supposed to disable the native Vista firewall and enable the NAV
>> firewall *if* it contains one.
>> Advise you to consult NAV's Help file or Symantec's web site for further
>> info as to it's firewall capabilities.
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> Joe Noreal wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a new computer running Vista. I installed Norton Antivirus
>>> but in the "Norton Protection Center" I get an "At Risk" warning
>>> regarding the firewall. Specifically it reads "At Risk: Advanced
>>> Firewall". I have Windows Firewall tuned on, I don't understand what it
>>> is talking about when it says Advanced Firewall.

Daniel

Re: Vista and Norton Antivirus
True, good advice

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:YaCdnebttfRtdzHanZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Add Spybot Search and Destroy as well.
>
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Give Norton's a big miss, Windows Firewall, defender AVG antivirus (free)
>> and a bit of common sense is all you need.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Daniel
>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>>> NAV is supposed to disable the native Vista firewall and enable the NAV
>>> firewall *if* it contains one.
>>> Advise you to consult NAV's Help file or Symantec's web site for further
>>> info as to it's firewall capabilities.
>>>

>>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>> ===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten
>>> ===============

Bob

Re: Vista and Norton Antivirus
Actually, I take back my advice. Since my previous post Spybot has caused me
many problems.

> True, good advice
>
> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:YaCdnebttfRtdzHanZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Add Spybot Search and Destroy as well.
>>
>> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Give Norton's a big miss, Windows Firewall, defender AVG antivirus
>>> (free) and a bit of common sense is all you need.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Daniel

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista and Norton Antivirus

Avast is a very good anti-virus(and also free as a bonus!); and is vista
32bit and 64bit compatible.

Vista's Firewall works fine.

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & destroy for anti-spyware program is very good.