service pack 1

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

mart3y

service pack 1
hey,
i'm new to vista and i want to check if my computer has SP1, how do i do
that? and if it doesn't have SP1, what is the best way to go about getting it?
thanks
martin
Brink

Re: service pack 1

mart3y;597783 Wrote:
> hey,
> i'm new to vista and i want to check if my computer has SP1, how do i
> do
> that? and if it doesn't have SP1, what is the best way to go about
> getting it?
> thanks
> martin

Hi Martin,

This will show you how to see if have the SP1 in "System" properties.
If you do not, then you can see how to install the latest version of the
SP1 released to the public. The final SP1 version is suppose to be
released in mid March to mid April.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...c-refresh.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Paul Adare

Re: service pack 1
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:45:00 -0800, mart3y wrote:

> hey,
> i'm new to vista and i want to check if my computer has SP1, how do i do
> that? and if it doesn't have SP1, what is the best way to go about getting it?
> thanks
> martin

Further to Brink's post, if you're that new and you don't know how to
figure out whether you've got SP1 installed or not, ignore his advice about
installing the pre-release version and wait until the final version is
available on Windows Update.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
Richard G. Harper

Re: service pack 1
Further to both Brink and Paul's advice, since SP1 was only officially
released to manufacturing (RTM) yesterday, I don't think you'll find it
anywhere for a while quite yet. You may have installed a pre-release
version which you'll want to uninstall, but you won't find SP1 on any
computers, DVDs or from any reliable source yet.

"mart3y" <mart3y@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey,
> i'm new to vista and i want to check if my computer has SP1, how do i do
> that? and if it doesn't have SP1, what is the best way to go about getting
> it?
> thanks
> martin

f/fgeorge

Re: service pack 1
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:45:00 -0800, mart3y
<mart3y@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hey,
>i'm new to vista and i want to check if my computer has SP1, how do i do
>that? and if it doesn't have SP1, what is the best way to go about getting it?
>thanks
>martin

SP1 is NOT released to the public yet! It is still in he testing,
Beta, phase. DO NOT download it!!!! Yet.
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: service pack 1
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:45:00 -0800, mart3y
<mart3y@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> hey,
> i'm new to vista and i want to check if my computer has SP1, how do i do
> that? and if it doesn't have SP1, what is the best way to go about getting it?
> thanks

You don't have it and you can *not* get it. Nobody has it (except in
test versions). It was just released to manufacturing and won't be
available to the public before mid-March.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
VicTek

Re: service pack 1
> hey,
> i'm new to vista and i want to check if my computer has SP1, how do i do
> that? and if it doesn't have SP1, what is the best way to go about getting
> it?
> thanks
> martin

Just in case it isn't clear, the reason you don't want to install a beta of
SP1 is because you will have to uninstall it before you can install the
official version when it becomes available. Personally I don't think it's
worth the time and risk - if the uninstall fails you might be looking at a
complete reinstall of Vista.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: service pack 1
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:42:57 -0800, "VicTek" <Victek@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> > hey,
> > i'm new to vista and i want to check if my computer has SP1, how do i do
> > that? and if it doesn't have SP1, what is the best way to go about getting
> > it?
> > thanks
> > martin

> Just in case it isn't clear, the reason you don't want to install a beta of
> SP1 is because you will have to uninstall it before you can install the
> official version when it becomes available.

My view is entirely different: The reason you don't want to install a
beta of SP1 (or any other beta, particularly of an operating system or
operating system upgrade) is because it's a test version, likely to
have all sorts of problems, and puts you at extreme risk of losing
everything on your machine.

Nobody should install such a beta version unless he is someone who
enjoys fooling around with whatever is newest (even if it's unstable)
and has a spare machine to fool around with it on. Putting a beta
Windows Service Pack on a production machine is looking for trouble.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Arawn13 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI unless turned off SP1 RC places a Build 6000.1(Something like that ,there is a one if SP1)... in the lower right part of your screen
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
PaintDeskyopVersion = 1
will turn it on if it is off. This is your Windows version..
AvatarOfTheShip

Re: service pack 1

Press the Windows key and Pause. The sheet that comes up will tell you
if you have SP1 or not

--
AvatarOfTheShip