Cannot open user profile - Help!!!!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

craftwoodman

Cannot open user profile - Help!!!!
I have two user profiles on my laptop. One for me and one for my wife. When I
turned on the computer tonight and tried to logon to my user profile I
received a message stating "The user Profile Service service Failed The
Logon. User Profile Cannot Be Loaded."

I can log on to my wifes profile, but not mine. How do I rectify this issue.
I have over 1000 photos from our recent Europe trip and do not want to lose
them.

Thanks for any help.
Jesper

RE: Cannot open user profile - Help!!!!
First, back up your photos. Do this from your wife's account:

1. Hit the Window button, All Programs, Accessories
2. Right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator"
3. Accept the elevation prompt
4. Type icacls c:\users\<yourusername> /grant <yourwifesusername>F)
replacing <yourusername> with the name of your account and
<yourwifesusername> with her name. This will grant your wife permission to
all your data. You can now open an Explorer window (window key+E) and
navigate to c:\users\<yourusername>\pictures and copy your pictures to some
more permanent, preferably external, medium, like a DVD. A USB flash drive
would work too, at least temporarily.

Once you are done with that, you need to figure out what caused your profile
to stop loading. From the same command prompt, type eventvwr.msc.
1. Expand "Windows Logs"
2. Click Application
3. Click "Filter Current Log..."
4. In the Event sources dropdown, select "User Profile General" and "User
Profile Service".

You should now have a number of events listed. Are there any with a red sign
saying "Error"? If so, look at the data in the General section and see if it
has to do with your profile. Copy and paste them into a response to this post
and maybe they will tell us more about what went wrong with your profile. I
can't promise that it is fixable, but at least this gets us somewhere.
---

"craftwoodman" wrote:

> I have two user profiles on my laptop. One for me and one for my wife. When I
> turned on the computer tonight and tried to logon to my user profile I
> received a message stating "The user Profile Service service Failed The
> Logon. User Profile Cannot Be Loaded."
>
> I can log on to my wifes profile, but not mine. How do I rectify this issue.
> I have over 1000 photos from our recent Europe trip and do not want to lose
> them.
>
> Thanks for any help.

craftwoodman

RE: Cannot open user profile - Help!!!!
Thank you very much for the advise. This worked. I was also finally able to
do a system restore and get back online.