Password protection

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jen

Password protection
I want to be able to put a password on a folder, i know how to put one on a
document but alot of other people use my computer and they don't need to be
going through my things so is it possible to put a password on my pictures
and document folders?
Bob

Re: Password protection
It depends on your Vista version. You can't do it with Basic or Home Premium
unless you have a 3rd party program.

"Jen" <jpballer35@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I want to be able to put a password on a folder, i know how to put one on a
> document but alot of other people use my computer and they don't need to
> be
> going through my things so is it possible to put a password on my pictures
> and document folders?

Brink

Re: Password protection

Jen;597580 Wrote:
> I want to be able to put a password on a folder, i know how to put one
> on a
> document but alot of other people use my computer and they don't need
> to be
> going through my things so is it possible to put a password on my
> pictures
> and document folders?

Hi Jen,

You cannot put a password on a individual folder in Vista without a 3rd
party program. If you have the Vista Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise
version, then you can Encrypt a file or folder to keep people from being
able to access it. Only your user account can open it. Just be sure to
backup the encryption certificate to be safe. You can see how to do this
here.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...lder-file.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Bruce Chambers

Re: Password protection
Jen wrote:
> I want to be able to put a password on a folder, i know how to put one on a
> document but alot of other people use my computer and they don't need to be
> going through my things so is it possible to put a password on my pictures
> and document folders?

Like WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP before it, Vistsa's file security
paradigm doesn't rely on, or allow, the cumbersome method of password
protection for individual applications, files, or folders. Instead, it
uses the superior method of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions
to individual users and/or groups.

As a crude work-around, you can place the file in a compressed
folder, and set a password to uncompress the folder to view/access its
contents. Also, some applications allow the user to password-protect
their specific data files. Read the specific application's Help files
for further information on this capability.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
lee74in2000

Re: Password protection

hay i have one solutions for this check it i will update it in few days

--
lee74in2000
Glen

Re: Password protection
Right click on the folder, if there is a security tab available then you can
choose to deny access to those that you do not want to have access to the
folder. if there is no security tab, then you need third party software.