Vista 'run program' security warning on every boot

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?YmFzc2phY2U=?=

Vista 'run program' security warning on every boot
Hi,
I am running Vista Ultimate on the Asus P5WDG2 WS board that has the Sound
Max High Def Audio device onit. I have downloaded the vista driver for it but
every time I boot I get a security warning asking me if I want to run the
..exe thats associated with it.
I have checked the driver and it is unsigned, thats what the security
warning is about, running an unsigned driver.
is there a way I can turn this off?

thanks
jason
=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: Vista 'run program' security warning on every boot
> I am running Vista Ultimate on the Asus P5WDG2 WS board that has the Sound
> Max High Def Audio device onit. I have downloaded the vista driver for it but
> every time I boot I get a security warning asking me if I want to run the
> .exe thats associated with it.
> I have checked the driver and it is unsigned, thats what the security
> warning is about, running an unsigned driver.
> is there a way I can turn this off?

What does this warning look like? There are three types of warnings that you
can get:

1. Installation of an unsigned driver. This will only happen when you
install the driver. The solution is to get a fixed driver from the
manufacturer.
2. Unrecognized program warning from Windows Defender. This is a small tray
popup. Solution: click the dialog to open Defender and then allow the program.
3. UAC prompt for a program that runs at logon but that is either detedted
as requiring elevation or contains a manifest that needs it. Solution: get a
fixed version which works correctly with Vista from the manufacturer of the
program.
=?Utf-8?B?YmFzc2phY2U=?=

RE: Vista 'run program' security warning on every boot
Jesper.
The message says the publisher could not be verified. Do you want to run
this software?
It then lists the file name publisher, type and location.
I have unchecked the Always ask me before opening this file box but still at
every reboot it does this.
It halsts the system. I cannot run anything until after this is dealt with.
IE won't work, I cannot get to the internet, other programs don't continue to
open until this is either ran or canceled.
Any ideas?

"Jesper" wrote:

> > I am running Vista Ultimate on the Asus P5WDG2 WS board that has the Sound
> > Max High Def Audio device onit. I have downloaded the vista driver for it but
> > every time I boot I get a security warning asking me if I want to run the
> > .exe thats associated with it.
> > I have checked the driver and it is unsigned, thats what the security
> > warning is about, running an unsigned driver.
> > is there a way I can turn this off?

> What does this warning look like? There are three types of warnings that you
> can get:
>
> 1. Installation of an unsigned driver. This will only happen when you
> install the driver. The solution is to get a fixed driver from the
> manufacturer.
> 2. Unrecognized program warning from Windows Defender. This is a small tray
> popup. Solution: click the dialog to open Defender and then allow the program.
> 3. UAC prompt for a program that runs at logon but that is either detedted
> as requiring elevation or contains a manifest that needs it. Solution: get a
> fixed version which works correctly with Vista from the manufacturer of the
> program.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: Vista 'run program' security warning on every boot
> Jesper.
> The message says the publisher could not be verified. Do you want to run
> this software?
> It then lists the file name publisher, type and location.
> I have unchecked the Always ask me before opening this file box but still at
> every reboot it does this.
> It halsts the system. I cannot run anything until after this is dealt with.
> IE won't work, I cannot get to the internet, other programs don't continue to
> open until this is either ran or canceled.
> Any ideas?

I'm still not clear which warning you are getting from your description.
However, based on the fact that it blocks you from doing anything else, it
sounds like a UAC warning. In that case, see 3 below: