Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

ROBCIS

Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router
Need help.

I am attempting to set up Wireless network security. I have the following
equipment:
Netgear wireless router
Comcast Arris modem which connects internet, telephone and cable
Dell Dimension running Vista Home Basic (connected to router via cable)
Dell Dimension running Windows XP (wireless connected)
IBM ThinkPad running Windows XP (wireless connected)

My goal is to secure my wireless connection from outside intrusion.

What steps should I take to set this up? Since one of my desk tops is
running wirelessly should I set up the security via that PC?

Any help and direction is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin Harper

Re: Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router
You can set up WEP on the router, and each wireless client would need to
type the password to connect to the router.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"ROBCIS" <ROBCIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Need help.
>
> I am attempting to set up Wireless network security. I have the following
> equipment:
> Netgear wireless router
> Comcast Arris modem which connects internet, telephone and cable
> Dell Dimension running Vista Home Basic (connected to router via cable)
> Dell Dimension running Windows XP (wireless connected)
> IBM ThinkPad running Windows XP (wireless connected)
>
> My goal is to secure my wireless connection from outside intrusion.
>
> What steps should I take to set this up? Since one of my desk tops is
> running wirelessly should I set up the security via that PC?
>
> Any help and direction is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Dustin Harper

Re: Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router
perfect. WEP is VERY easy to crack, WPA is more difficult, but not
impossible. Also, turn off the SSI broadcast on your router. Only the
die-hard people would find and/or hack into your setup.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page

"ROBCIS" <ROBCIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Need help.
>
> I am attempting to set up Wireless network security. I have the following
> equipment:
> Netgear wireless router
> Comcast Arris modem which connects internet, telephone and cable
> Dell Dimension running Vista Home Basic (connected to router via cable)
> Dell Dimension running Windows XP (wireless connected)
> IBM ThinkPad running Windows XP (wireless connected)
>
> My goal is to secure my wireless connection from outside intrusion.
>
> What steps should I take to set this up? Since one of my desk tops is
> running wirelessly should I set up the security via that PC?
>
> Any help and direction is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

ROBCIS

Re: Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router
Dustin,

Thanks. Now how do I do this? Do I go through my PC?

Thanks,

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> You can set up WEP on the router, and each wireless client would need to
> type the password to connect to the router.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "ROBCIS" <ROBCIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Need help.
> >
> > I am attempting to set up Wireless network security. I have the following
> > equipment:
> > Netgear wireless router
> > Comcast Arris modem which connects internet, telephone and cable
> > Dell Dimension running Vista Home Basic (connected to router via cable)
> > Dell Dimension running Windows XP (wireless connected)
> > IBM ThinkPad running Windows XP (wireless connected)
> >
> > My goal is to secure my wireless connection from outside intrusion.
> >
> > What steps should I take to set this up? Since one of my desk tops is
> > running wirelessly should I set up the security via that PC?
> >
> > Any help and direction is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,

ROBCIS

Re: Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router
Dustin,

I was wondering about WEP vs. WPA and glad that you posted this. I am still
unsure what the exacts steps I should take, can you advise?

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> perfect. WEP is VERY easy to crack, WPA is more difficult, but not
> impossible. Also, turn off the SSI broadcast on your router. Only the
> die-hard people would find and/or hack into your setup.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "ROBCIS" <ROBCIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Need help.
> >
> > I am attempting to set up Wireless network security. I have the following
> > equipment:
> > Netgear wireless router
> > Comcast Arris modem which connects internet, telephone and cable
> > Dell Dimension running Vista Home Basic (connected to router via cable)
> > Dell Dimension running Windows XP (wireless connected)
> > IBM ThinkPad running Windows XP (wireless connected)
> >
> > My goal is to secure my wireless connection from outside intrusion.
> >
> > What steps should I take to set this up? Since one of my desk tops is
> > running wirelessly should I set up the security via that PC?
> >
> > Any help and direction is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,

Paul Adare

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:36:01 -0800, ROBCIS wrote:

> I was wondering about WEP vs. WPA and glad that you posted this. I am still
> unsure what the exacts steps I should take, can you advise?

You should begin by reading the documentation that came with your Netgear
WiFi device.
--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
Dustin Harper

Re: Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router
Here is a page from Netgear overviewing WPA.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101190.asp
And here is another page from Netgear on how to set it up:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101675.asp

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

--

> Dustin,
>
> I was wondering about WEP vs. WPA and glad that you posted this. I am
> still
> unsure what the exacts steps I should take, can you advise?
>
> "Dustin Harper" wrote:

>> perfect. WEP is VERY easy to crack, WPA is more difficult, but not
>> impossible. Also, turn off the SSI broadcast on your router. Only the
>> die-hard people would find and/or hack into your setup.
>>
>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>>

>> "ROBCIS" <ROBCIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Need help.
>> >
>> > I am attempting to set up Wireless network security. I have the
>> > following
>> > equipment:
>> > Netgear wireless router
>> > Comcast Arris modem which connects internet, telephone and cable
>> > Dell Dimension running Vista Home Basic (connected to router via cable)
>> > Dell Dimension running Windows XP (wireless connected)
>> > IBM ThinkPad running Windows XP (wireless connected)
>> >
>> > My goal is to secure my wireless connection from outside intrusion.
>> >
>> > What steps should I take to set this up? Since one of my desk tops is
>> > running wirelessly should I set up the security via that PC?
>> >
>> > Any help and direction is appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Dustin Harper wrote:
> perfect. WEP is VERY easy to crack, WPA is more difficult, but not
> impossible. Also, turn off the SSI broadcast on your router. Only the
> die-hard people would find and/or hack into your setup.

Another thing that may help is to set the security so that only specific
MAC addresses are allowed into the router.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
ROBCIS

Re: Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router
Paul,

Thanks, I amd going to dig it out.

"Paul Adare" wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:36:01 -0800, ROBCIS wrote:
>
> > I was wondering about WEP vs. WPA and glad that you posted this. I am still
> > unsure what the exacts steps I should take, can you advise?

> You should begin by reading the documentation that came with your Netgear
> WiFi device.
> --
> Paul Adare
> MVP - Virtual Machines
> http://www.identit.ca
> ROM: A RAM after a delicate operation.

ROBCIS

Re: Setting up a Security on my Wireless Router
Dustin,

Thanks much.