avg anti-virus

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Allison

avg anti-virus
i have avg free antivirus on my computer and it updates and checks every time
i turn my computer on but windows security centre is saying i don't have an
anti virus . also is says windows defender is turned off but i can't work
out how to turn it on.
f/fgeorge

Re: avg anti-virus
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:25:01 -0800, Allison
<Allison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have avg free antivirus on my computer and it updates and checks every time
>i turn my computer on but windows security centre is saying i don't have an
>anti virus . also is says windows defender is turned off but i can't work
>out how to turn it on.

AVG is designed to check periodically for updates and scan your
computer. Consider leaving your pc on 24/7 and it will do all this in
the background. As for Windows Defender uninstall it and go to the MS
site and re-download and re-install it. Yours is probably just out of
date.
Robinb

Re: avg anti-virus
you cannot uninstall Windows Defender in Vista- only in XP
As for it being turned off- if you are running Windows Onecare which has an
antivirus program built in and a piece of it is also WD, it will turn off
the WD that came installed with Vista
If not- go into Tools/options- scroll all the way down and look to see if
there is a check in "Use Windows Defender for all users"
If there is no check there put it in
make sure you click Save when done
robin
"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:25:01 -0800, Allison
> <Allison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>i have avg free antivirus on my computer and it updates and checks every
>>time
>>i turn my computer on but windows security centre is saying i don't have
>>an
>>anti virus . also is says windows defender is turned off but i can't work
>>out how to turn it on.

> AVG is designed to check periodically for updates and scan your
> computer. Consider leaving your pc on 24/7 and it will do all this in
> the background. As for Windows Defender uninstall it and go to the MS
> site and re-download and re-install it. Yours is probably just out of
> date.

cma

RE: avg anti-virus
Allison,

I too am having the same problem. I am running the AVG Antivirus (FREE
TRIAL) but it isn't scanning for the virus' it says it will!!!!!

Have you found a solution to your question yet?

3-19-08

"Allison" wrote:

> i have avg free antivirus on my computer and it updates and checks every time
> i turn my computer on but windows security centre is saying i don't have an
> anti virus . also is says windows defender is turned off but i can't work
> out how to turn it on.

f/fgeorge

Re: avg anti-virus
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:10:01 -0700, cma
<cma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Allison,
>
>I too am having the same problem. I am running the AVG Antivirus (FREE
>TRIAL) but it isn't scanning for the virus' it says it will!!!!!
>
>Have you found a solution to your question yet?
>
>3-19-08

Did you check the set up for the scan? By default it scans in the
middle of the night, if your pc is off then and you do not have the
check next time the pc is started, then you will not get a scan done.
I have it on over 20 pc's and have adjusted the scan time on all of
them to reflect what works for me.

>"Allison" wrote:
>
>> i have avg free antivirus on my computer and it updates and checks every time
>> i turn my computer on but windows security centre is saying i don't have an
>> anti virus . also is says windows defender is turned off but i can't work
>> out how to turn it on.

Robinb

Re: avg anti-virus
if you are running Microsoft One Care it has its own antivirus program built
into it
If this is so you need to uninstall avg. You cannot run two at the same
time they will cause a conflict

Also Windows defender is turned off when running One Care because One Care
has a portion of WD built into it

newsvo1u3lpqampeqrdnpc9hs3k5e80iee0i4@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:10:01 -0700, cma
> <cma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Allison,
>>
>>I too am having the same problem. I am running the AVG Antivirus (FREE
>>TRIAL) but it isn't scanning for the virus' it says it will!!!!!
>>
>>Have you found a solution to your question yet?
>>
>>3-19-08
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>

> Did you check the set up for the scan? By default it scans in the
> middle of the night, if your pc is off then and you do not have the
> check next time the pc is started, then you will not get a scan done.
> I have it on over 20 pc's and have adjusted the scan time on all of
> them to reflect what works for me.
>

>>"Allison" wrote:
>>
>>> i have avg free antivirus on my computer and it updates and checks every
>>> time
>>> i turn my computer on but windows security centre is saying i don't have
>>> an
>>> anti virus . also is says windows defender is turned off but i can't
>>> work
>>> out how to turn it on.

kkkenny

RE: avg anti-virus