Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Remote Assistance Safety

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2008
js248
 

Posts: n/a
Remote Assistance Safety
If I am remotely assisting another computer, and they are having to lower
their firewall to let me in, can hackers more easily access their computer?
I don't want to jeopordize their system.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2008
Mark Burnett
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance Safety
It really depends on how much they are lowering it to let you in. Hopefully
they aren't just turning it off. I would recommend you give them your IP
address and they add an exception just for you.


Mark

"js248" <js248@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E0037B65-76DF-4B2F-81D3-364CC633EE91@microsoft.com...
> If I am remotely assisting another computer, and they are having to lower
> their firewall to let me in, can hackers more easily access their
> computer?
> I don't want to jeopordize their system.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2008
js248
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance Safety
Thank you Mark. When and if we set this up, I will make sure that it is only
our IP address they add. I know little to nothing about this, but am trying
to learn all I can before utilizing this tool. Do you also know if it is
going to be a problem if I have Vista and they have XP?

"Mark Burnett" wrote:

> It really depends on how much they are lowering it to let you in. Hopefully
> they aren't just turning it off. I would recommend you give them your IP
> address and they add an exception just for you.
>
>
> Mark
>
> "js248" <js248@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E0037B65-76DF-4B2F-81D3-364CC633EE91@microsoft.com...
> > If I am remotely assisting another computer, and they are having to lower
> > their firewall to let me in, can hackers more easily access their
> > computer?
> > I don't want to jeopordize their system.

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2008
super1
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance Safety
Nope, you might get a message about not connecting as securly as possible,
since it is an XP machine. Works fine though.

"js248" <js248@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ACD18865-EA69-4196-BD53-0F2D4B9F3365@microsoft.com...
> Thank you Mark. When and if we set this up, I will make sure that it is
> only
> our IP address they add. I know little to nothing about this, but am
> trying
> to learn all I can before utilizing this tool. Do you also know if it is
> going to be a problem if I have Vista and they have XP?
>
> "Mark Burnett" wrote:
>
>> It really depends on how much they are lowering it to let you in.
>> Hopefully
>> they aren't just turning it off. I would recommend you give them your IP
>> address and they add an exception just for you.
>>
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> "js248" <js248@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E0037B65-76DF-4B2F-81D3-364CC633EE91@microsoft.com...
>> > If I am remotely assisting another computer, and they are having to
>> > lower
>> > their firewall to let me in, can hackers more easily access their
>> > computer?
>> > I don't want to jeopordize their system.

>>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2008
Victek
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Remote Assistance Safety
>> If I am remotely assisting another computer, and they are having to lower
>> their firewall to let me in, can hackers more easily access their
>> computer?
>> I don't want to jeopordize their system.

>
> It really depends on how much they are lowering it to let you in.
> Hopefully they aren't just turning it off. I would recommend you give them
> your IP address and they add an exception just for you.
>

Assuming we're talking about the Windows Firewall, is that even necessary?
Shouldn't it be enough for the user to enable "Allow Remote Assistance
Connections to this Computer" in Control Panel/System/Remote Settings? That
opens the port and allows the pre-authorized access. I say "pre-authorized"
because I believe the user needs to email an invitation to the tech first.
Is this correct?

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offer Remote Assistance not accepted because Remote Assistance notinstalled churin microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 01-18-2008 16:50
Remote Assistance Kurosh microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 11-29-2007 22:08
Article ID: 937803 During a Remote Assistance session in Windows Vista, the administrator who is trying to provide remote assistance receives a black screen KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Is there a program to use remote desktop, or remote assistance "host" on Vista Home? Tim microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 08-14-2007 11:14
Remote Assistance m-arx microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 08-08-2007 12:50




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:22.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120