NEED HELP with User Accounts.....

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Ronzlo

NEED HELP with User Accounts.....
I've set up a Windows Vista standard user account for a foreign student
staying with us, and found he can access all the files on my 'C' drive. Is
there some way this access can be blocked? Thanks a lot.

--
Ron S
Ken Triebold

Re: NEED HELP with User Accounts.....
Yes, of course that can be done. Click on Start, Help and Support, and then
search on User Accounts. There is all kinds of information there that will
show you what you want to do.

"Ronzlo" <Ronzlo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've set up a Windows Vista standard user account for a foreign student
> staying with us, and found he can access all the files on my 'C' drive. Is
> there some way this access can be blocked? Thanks a lot.
>
> --
> Ron S

Paul Smith

Re: NEED HELP with User Accounts.....
"Ronzlo" <Ronzlo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've set up a Windows Vista standard user account for a foreign student
> staying with us, and found he can access all the files on my 'C' drive. Is
> there some way this access can be blocked? Thanks a lot.

By default a user should have read access to all the files under C:\ at
least in the Windows and Program Files directories or else they'll be
problems trying to do anything. Do you have any user-specific files there
like documents you want to block?

If so they should really be moved into the other users home folder
C:\Users\otheruser\ which only an administrator by default would have access
to, or the user to whom they specifically belong.

If that doesn't do the job you could set the security on the folders you
want to block, by right-clicking on them, go to Properties and then
Security. From there you should see a button called Edit, which will ask
for elevation and open a new window where you can make the changes.

What you'll want to do there is Add the user (eg Bob), and then in the
section below check the Deny boxes (read & execute, list folder contents and
read should do the trick). It's important to use Deny and not just uncheck
what he is allowed to do, otherwise him being in the users group will give
him read access. In this case Deny will override an Allow the user has
inherited from being in a group.

Hope that helps.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Ronzlo

Re: NEED HELP with User Accounts.....
Thanks for the advice - I'll try setting this up right away.
--
Ron S

"Ken Triebold" wrote:

> Yes, of course that can be done. Click on Start, Help and Support, and then
> search on User Accounts. There is all kinds of information there that will
> show you what you want to do.
>

> "Ronzlo" <Ronzlo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've set up a Windows Vista standard user account for a foreign student
> > staying with us, and found he can access all the files on my 'C' drive. Is
> > there some way this access can be blocked? Thanks a lot.
> >
> > --
> > Ron S

Bob

Re: NEED HELP with User Accounts.....
All you need to do is delete the Standard account and set up a Guest
account.
As a result, the student will not have access to your personal files.
Neither will he be able to install any programs, change any settings, or
create a password.