Always Automatically Allow a Certain Program

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Ken Triebold

Always Automatically Allow a Certain Program
Every time I boot up, User Account Control pops up and asks me if I want to
allow this program to run "PSDiagnostic.exe". This program has to do with
the functionality of my wireless print server and it needs to run or the
printer on my print server will not function. If I allow the program to run
everything is fine, but I would rather not have to be bothered with this
during every boot up. I know I can disable User Account Control to avoid
this, but is there a way I can leave User Account Control active and still
allow this program to run automatically during boot up? Like is there a list
of exceptions that I could add it to?

Charlie42

Re: Always Automatically Allow a Certain Program
"Ken Triebold" wrote:

> Every time I boot up, User Account Control pops up and asks me if I want to
> allow this program to run "PSDiagnostic.exe". This program has to do with
> the functionality of my wireless print server and it needs to run or the
> printer on my print server will not function. If I allow the program to run
> everything is fine, but I would rather not have to be bothered with this
> during every boot up. I know I can disable User Account Control to avoid
> this, but is there a way I can leave User Account Control active and still
> allow this program to run automatically during boot up? Like is there a list
> of exceptions that I could add it to?

There is a fix utilizing the Application Compatibility Toolkit, it may very
well work for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946932

Download ACT 5.0:

Charlie42
Ken Triebold

"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
> "Ken Triebold" wrote:
>
>> Every time I boot up, User Account Control pops up and asks me if I want
>> allow this program to run "PSDiagnostic.exe". This program has to do
>> with
>> the functionality of my wireless print server and it needs to run or the
>> printer on my print server will not function. If I allow the program to
>> run
>> everything is fine, but I would rather not have to be bothered with this
>> during every boot up. I know I can disable User Account Control to avoid
>> this, but is there a way I can leave User Account Control active and
>> still
>> allow this program to run automatically during boot up? Like is there a
>> list
>> of exceptions that I could add it to?

> There is a fix utilizing the Application Compatibility Toolkit, it may
> very
> well work for you:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946932
>
> Download ACT 5.0:

> Charlie42

Thanks Charlie. It worked like a charm.

"Ken Triebold" wrote:

> Thanks Charlie. It worked like a charm.

Glad to hear, thanks for reporting back.

Charlie42
Copecabra

Re: Always Automatically Allow a Certain Program
Hello, Charlie42; The fix worked, thank you! I wouldn't say it worked like a
charm, though, as it was a contorted and convoluted way to deal with what
should have been a simple matter to be able to fix WITHIN the OS. MS still
has a way to go in terms of usability and friendliness.

Copecabra
- - - - - - - - -
"Charlie42" wrote:

> "Ken Triebold" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Charlie. It worked like a charm.

> Glad to hear, thanks for reporting back.
>
> Charlie42

hicktick

RE: Always Automatically Allow a Certain Program

--
rick

"Ken Triebold" wrote:

> Every time I boot up, User Account Control pops up and asks me if I want to
> allow this program to run "PSDiagnostic.exe". This program has to do with
> the functionality of my wireless print server and it needs to run or the
> printer on my print server will not function. If I allow the program to run
> everything is fine, but I would rather not have to be bothered with this
> during every boot up. I know I can disable User Account Control to avoid
> this, but is there a way I can leave User Account Control active and still
> allow this program to run automatically during boot up? Like is there a list
> of exceptions that I could add it to?

VirginiaJim

Re: Always Automatically Allow a Certain Program
Unfortunately, as of Jun 26, Knowledge base reports that this article is no
longer available. SO, I still need a solution that allows a non-signature
older program to run without asking EVERY TIME I try to run it whether I
really want to run it. How can I permanently and once for all tell the
system that the program is ok?

"Ken Triebold" wrote:

> "Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
> > "Ken Triebold" wrote:
> >
> >> Every time I boot up, User Account Control pops up and asks me if I want
> >> allow this program to run "PSDiagnostic.exe". This program has to do
> >> with
> >> the functionality of my wireless print server and it needs to run or the
> >> printer on my print server will not function. If I allow the program to
> >> run
> >> everything is fine, but I would rather not have to be bothered with this
> >> during every boot up. I know I can disable User Account Control to avoid
> >> this, but is there a way I can leave User Account Control active and
> >> still
> >> allow this program to run automatically during boot up? Like is there a
> >> list
> >> of exceptions that I could add it to?

> > There is a fix utilizing the Application Compatibility Toolkit, it may
> > very
> > well work for you:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946932
> >
> > Download ACT 5.0:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >
> > Charlie42

> Thanks Charlie. It worked like a charm.

lhawkred is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same problem with user account control
I am having the same problem. I'd rather not disable user account control, but I have a program I really want to come up on start up and not have to give it permission every time.
Mr. Arnold

"lhawkred" <lhawkred.3eb906@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I am having the same problem. I'd rather not disable user account
> control, but I have a program I really want to come up on start up and
> not have to give it permission every time.

Well, start-up Windows Defender, go to Programs Explorer, make sure it has
Start-up in the drop down box, find the program or short-cut and Enable it.
It's WD that's stopping it and is wanting approval, because it doesn't see
it as a program that can run at Start-up. If the program doesn't need Run As
Administrator and you have it enabled, then disable it.

lhawkred is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
User account control with windows live one care
Mr. Arnold,
Thanks for your reply, but I am not using Windows defender as my firewall. My e-mail came with Windows Live One Care which has its
own firewall. So far I have not found a way to get into it to change
settings.
lhawkred