Live OneCare vs AVG ?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Amanda

Live OneCare vs AVG ?
I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I
currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running Vista.
I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I have
a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't want
to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it.
Could someone give a review of these two programs?
--
Amanda B
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I
> currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running
> Vista.
> I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I
> have
> a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't
> want
> to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it.
> Could someone give a review of these two programs?
> --
> Amanda B

No review. Stick with AVG.. :-)

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Robinb

Re: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
stick with AVG- I know a lot that use one care and are not happy with it
robin
"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I
>> currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running
>> Vista.
>> I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I
>> have
>> a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't
>> want
>> to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it.
>> Could someone give a review of these two programs?
>> --
>> Amanda B

> No review. Stick with AVG.. :-)
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP

Rea's

Re: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
Mike,
I have been using Live one care since last March and after several
uninstalls and reinstalls in the beginning, it seems to work OK now. I have
not noticed anything that would prompt me to change. I previously used
Norton Anti Virus and become unsatisfied with Norton. I will renew my
subscription in April for another year. Service is good for three
computers. Staples currently has a rebate that allows all or most of your
money back. I think the list is $39.00 for up to 3 computers
George
"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I
>> currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running
>> Vista.
>> I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I
>> have
>> a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't
>> want
>> to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it.
>> Could someone give a review of these two programs?
>> --
>> Amanda B

> No review. Stick with AVG.. :-)
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP

StephenB

Re: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
Amanda <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I
>currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running Vista.
>I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I have
>a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't want
>to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it.
>Could someone give a review of these two programs?

If you have a paid up subscription for AVG, I would not make the switch. OneCare
is a good program, in my opinion, but so is AVG. If you want the extra features
of OneCare, that may make it worth the switch, though. Since you are using the
trial, you'll know if you like it or not.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
M C

Re: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
I recommend MS Live OneCare... 3 reasons:
1. comes with a 90 day trial (picked up a full version for $40).. will
activate when time's up
2. it's from Microsoft!! probably a good idea to let these guys fix their
own vulnerabilities!
and...
3. it can backup user profile related docs and settings as well

"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I
> currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running
> Vista.
> I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I
> have
> a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't
> want
> to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it.
> Could someone give a review of these two programs?
> --
> Amanda B

XKLL

RE: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
AVG is one of the top rated virus programs that is widely used. use both
programs, and if you have to disable one to run the other then do so. i think
they will work together. (?) You must have 32 bit because AVG does not work
on my pc, 64 bit
Live onecare does not work for me either so i dont know anything about it.

"Amanda" wrote:

> I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I
> currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running Vista.
> I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I have
> a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't want
> to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it.
> Could someone give a review of these two programs?
> --
> Amanda B

StephenB

Re: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
*Never* have two antivirus programs installed concurrently. Even disabled,
conflicts may occur, impacting system performance and stability.
If you want AVG, remove OneCare. If you was OneCare, uninstall AVG.
-steve

--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
sboots@mvps.org
John Barnett MVP

Re: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
In the end a review is dependent upon the reviewer's preferences. I've beta
tested Windows Live OneCare and have used it, but, personally, it isn't
something I would recommend. My experience with OneCare was far too
troublesome, that why it never got reviewed on either of my websites. My
personal advice would be to stick with AVG.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been given a new Windows Live OneCare subscription to try, and I
> currently use AVG Internet Security, for 3 home computers, all running
> Vista.
> I'd like to know if Onecare is something I should give up the AVG for. I
> have
> a subscription with AVG through Feb of next year, (paid for) so I don't
> want
> to give it up unless there is particulary good benefit from it.
> Could someone give a review of these two programs?
> --
> Amanda B

GUS

Re: Live OneCare vs AVG ?
I use MSN Messenger and as a matter of file transfer options I selected the
Onecare scanner (ease of use). It only is active for the file transfer
during a conversation. I have the AVG as my Anti-virus software
(free-version only). Is there a way to specify AVG in lieu of the Onecare
file scanning in the file transfer function?

Thank you,
MJH