Multiple Security Problems

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Stephen

Multiple Security Problems
To All,

i have just brought a new computer with Vista Ultimate and have had nothing
but problems so far, these are as follows:

1. I keep getting a security message that states that ActiveX controls
cannot be installed by websites or something like that. I have tried
everthing i can think of for stopping this turning off UAC and playing with
security options on internet options.

2. I can download anything to the downloads folder (I have administrator
rights but it says i need permission to do this).

3. I have activated my Vista and run an update but in the end this has
failed to install stating an error code '80070005'.

any help anyone can give me will be most appricated.

Thanks
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Multiple Security Problems
Visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and click on
"Start Diagnostics".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Stephen" wrote:

To All,

i have just brought a new computer with Vista Ultimate and have had nothing
but problems so far, these are as follows:

1. I keep getting a security message that states that ActiveX controls
cannot be installed by websites or something like that. I have tried
everthing i can think of for stopping this turning off UAC and playing with
security options on internet options.

2. I can download anything to the downloads folder (I have administrator
rights but it says i need permission to do this).

3. I have activated my Vista and run an update but in the end this has
failed to install stating an error code '80070005'.

any help anyone can give me will be most appricated.

Thanks
Stephen

Re: Multiple Security Problems
Thanks for that but it is failing on three counts which are as follows:

1. Windows validation activeX loaded - Failed
2. Office validation activeX loaded - Failed
3. Validation self help activeX loaded - Failed

And when you click 'Resolve Now' and try to install the Microsoft Genuine
Advantage ActiveX controls is still says security settings do not allow
websites to use ActiveX controls on your computer.

and i cant download the diagnostic tool for extra help...What is going
on?!?!?!?

Please Help...Anyone

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and click on
> "Start Diagnostics".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Stephen" wrote:
>
> To All,
>
> i have just brought a new computer with Vista Ultimate and have had nothing
> but problems so far, these are as follows:
>
> 1. I keep getting a security message that states that ActiveX controls
> cannot be installed by websites or something like that. I have tried
> everthing i can think of for stopping this turning off UAC and playing with
> security options on internet options.
>
> 2. I can download anything to the downloads folder (I have administrator
> rights but it says i need permission to do this).
>
> 3. I have activated my Vista and run an update but in the end this has
> failed to install stating an error code '80070005'.
>
> any help anyone can give me will be most appricated.
>
> Thanks

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: Multiple Security Problems
what third party security software is installed?

Stephen wrote:
> Thanks for that but it is failing on three counts which are as follows:
>
> 1. Windows validation activeX loaded - Failed
> 2. Office validation activeX loaded - Failed
> 3. Validation self help activeX loaded - Failed
>
> And when you click 'Resolve Now' and try to install the Microsoft Genuine
> Advantage ActiveX controls is still says security settings do not allow
> websites to use ActiveX controls on your computer.
>
> and i cant download the diagnostic tool for extra help...What is going
> on?!?!?!?
>
> Please Help...Anyone
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and click on
>> "Start Diagnostics".
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

>> "Stephen" wrote:
>>
>> To All,
>>
>> i have just brought a new computer with Vista Ultimate and have had nothing
>> but problems so far, these are as follows:
>>
>> 1. I keep getting a security message that states that ActiveX controls
>> cannot be installed by websites or something like that. I have tried
>> everthing i can think of for stopping this turning off UAC and playing with
>> security options on internet options.
>>
>> 2. I can download anything to the downloads folder (I have administrator
>> rights but it says i need permission to do this).
>>
>> 3. I have activated my Vista and run an update but in the end this has
>> failed to install stating an error code '80070005'.
>>
>> any help anyone can give me will be most appricated.
>>
>> Thanks

Stephen

Re: Multiple Security Problems
Err i have got MacAfee anti-virus (and the rest) software, and i go through a
wireless rooter but apart from that nothing other than the windows stuff.

i have installed MacAfee on other computers and none of these are suffering
for the problems that i am having.

Stephen

"Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks" wrote:

> what third party security software is installed?
>
> Stephen wrote:
> > Thanks for that but it is failing on three counts which are as follows:
> >
> > 1. Windows validation activeX loaded - Failed
> > 2. Office validation activeX loaded - Failed
> > 3. Validation self help activeX loaded - Failed
> >
> > And when you click 'Resolve Now' and try to install the Microsoft Genuine
> > Advantage ActiveX controls is still says security settings do not allow
> > websites to use ActiveX controls on your computer.
> >
> > and i cant download the diagnostic tool for extra help...What is going
> > on?!?!?!?
> >
> > Please Help...Anyone
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and click on
> >> "Start Diagnostics".
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> "Stephen" wrote:
> >>
> >> To All,
> >>
> >> i have just brought a new computer with Vista Ultimate and have had nothing
> >> but problems so far, these are as follows:
> >>
> >> 1. I keep getting a security message that states that ActiveX controls
> >> cannot be installed by websites or something like that. I have tried
> >> everthing i can think of for stopping this turning off UAC and playing with
> >> security options on internet options.
> >>
> >> 2. I can download anything to the downloads folder (I have administrator
> >> rights but it says i need permission to do this).
> >>
> >> 3. I have activated my Vista and run an update but in the end this has
> >> failed to install stating an error code '80070005'.
> >>
> >> any help anyone can give me will be most appricated.
> >>
> >> Thanks

CB

"Stephen" wrote:

> Err i have got MacAfee anti-virus (and the rest) software, and i go through a
> wireless rooter but apart from that nothing other than the windows stuff.
>
> i have installed MacAfee on other computers and none of these are suffering
> for the problems that i am having.
>
> Stephen
>
> "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks" wrote:
>
> > what third party security software is installed?
> >
> > Stephen wrote:
> > > Thanks for that but it is failing on three counts which are as follows:
> > >
> > > 1. Windows validation activeX loaded - Failed
> > > 2. Office validation activeX loaded - Failed
> > > 3. Validation self help activeX loaded - Failed
> > >
> > > And when you click 'Resolve Now' and try to install the Microsoft Genuine
> > > Advantage ActiveX controls is still says security settings do not allow
> > > websites to use ActiveX controls on your computer.
> > >
> > > and i cant download the diagnostic tool for extra help...What is going
> > > on?!?!?!?
> > >
> > > Please Help...Anyone

Stephen,

Uninstall McAfee and in its place install anything except
Norton/Symantec, ZoneAlarm or TrendMicro.

C.B.