installing programs

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpyMTEwMA==?=

installing programs
I can't get any of the programs I used with windowsXP to install and work on
Vista. This is really dissapointing!

For some reason non of the executables are allowed to be installed in the
"programs" folder.

Is there something I need to do so my software will install?
Robert Moir

Re: installing programs

"djr1100" <djr1100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't get any of the programs I used with windowsXP to install and work
>on
> Vista. This is really dissapointing!
>
> For some reason non of the executables are allowed to be installed in the
> "programs" folder.
>
> Is there something I need to do so my software will install?

Depending on what the details of "any of the programs I used with Windows
XP" are. you may need to ask the manufacturer for Vista compatible software.
In the meantime, what is happening exactly and what errors are you getting?
Have you tried running the installers as administrator? Using the
compatability mode to force XP compatability?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpyMTEwMA==?=

Re: installing programs
You'll have to explain what you mean by "logging in as administrator" I keep
seeing this but I never get that option when I turn on my computer. Obviously
since I don't know how to get into administrator mode, I don't have a clue
what you mean by "force XP compatibility".

I mis-spoke earlier, the excecutable files are NOT being written into the
"programs" folder. So I get the error that ".exe file cannot be found"

"Robert Moir" wrote:

> "djr1100" <djr1100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't get any of the programs I used with windowsXP to install and work
> >on
> > Vista. This is really dissapointing!
> >
> > For some reason non of the executables are allowed to be installed in the
> > "programs" folder.
> >
> > Is there something I need to do so my software will install?

> Depending on what the details of "any of the programs I used with Windows
> XP" are. you may need to ask the manufacturer for Vista compatible software.
> In the meantime, what is happening exactly and what errors are you getting?
> Have you tried running the installers as administrator? Using the
> compatability mode to force XP compatability?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGpyMTEwMA==?=

Re: installing programs
well, since microsoft doesn't want to respond in a way that makes sense to a
normal joe who isn't the most computer savvy, I think I'll just scrap Vista
and put XP on my computer. Maybe I'll be able to do the basic things, like
edit homemade movies without too much trouble. Thanks for nothing, again,
microsoft.

> well, since microsoft doesn't want to respond in a way that makes sense to
> normal joe who isn't the most computer savvy, I think I'll just scrap
> Vista
> and put XP on my computer. Maybe I'll be able to do the basic things, like
> edit homemade movies without too much trouble. Thanks for nothing, again,
> microsoft.

Well I wouldn't argue with going back to XP.

You run a program as administrator by right clicking on it, and choosing the
obvious option.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: installing programs
If a piece of software isn't built for Vista you need to go to the
location of the setup.exe and right mouse click. Then click on "Run as
Administrator", this will allow it to be installed. Once it's installed
you may need to right mouse click the icon and go into compatibility
properties and "run as XP sp2"

On the brand spanking new Dell OEM Vista they give no documentation
whatsoever on how to install programs for vista.

djr1100 wrote:
> well, since microsoft doesn't want to respond in a way that makes sense to a
> normal joe who isn't the most computer savvy, I think I'll just scrap Vista
> and put XP on my computer. Maybe I'll be able to do the basic things, like
> edit homemade movies without too much trouble. Thanks for nothing, again,
> microsoft.
>
> "djr1100" wrote:
>
>> You'll have to explain what you mean by "logging in as administrator" I keep
>> seeing this but I never get that option when I turn on my computer. Obviously
>> since I don't know how to get into administrator mode, I don't have a clue
>> what you mean by "force XP compatibility".
>>
>> I mis-spoke earlier, the excecutable files are NOT being written into the
>> "programs" folder. So I get the error that ".exe file cannot be found"
>>
>> "Robert Moir" wrote:
>>
>>> "djr1100" <djr1100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Depending on what the details of "any of the programs I used with Windows
>>> XP" are. you may need to ask the manufacturer for Vista compatible software.
>>> In the meantime, what is happening exactly and what errors are you getting?
>>> Have you tried running the installers as administrator? Using the
>>> compatability mode to force XP compatability?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1?=

Re: installing programs
I have a friend that simply can't install xp games in his windows vista.
I read all you've written but it didn't work. He keeps saying that it does a
strange error during the programe running