System Restore Points not available

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Terry G

System Restore Points not available
When I access the system properties box, then click on the system protection
tab, it starts to search for available disks. It continues to search
indefinitely. I'm unable to access any of the features on this tab: system
restore or create. I've heard this has to do with the new updates. Is this
true, and is something being done to fix it?
Jesper

RE: System Restore Points not available
I don't see that on my system. How many drives do you have and what kind? Is
there anything else special about your computer?
---

"Terry G" wrote:

> When I access the system properties box, then click on the system protection
> tab, it starts to search for available disks. It continues to search
> indefinitely. I'm unable to access any of the features on this tab: system
> restore or create. I've heard this has to do with the new updates. Is this
> true, and is something being done to fix it?

Wayne O

RE: System Restore Points not available
I have the same problem. What did you have to do to correct it?

"Terry G" wrote:

> When I access the system properties box, then click on the system protection
> tab, it starts to search for available disks. It continues to search
> indefinitely. I'm unable to access any of the features on this tab: system
> restore or create. I've heard this has to do with the new updates. Is this
> true, and is something being done to fix it?

opalocka

RE: System Restore Points not available
I am having the same problem. Have searched Windows Help to no avail. Has
anybody found any solution at all? Thanks in advance.
--
opalocka

"Wayne O" wrote:

> I have the same problem. What did you have to do to correct it?
>
> "Terry G" wrote:
>
> > When I access the system properties box, then click on the system protection
> > tab, it starts to search for available disks. It continues to search
> > indefinitely. I'm unable to access any of the features on this tab: system
> > restore or create. I've heard this has to do with the new updates. Is this
> > true, and is something being done to fix it?

Bob

Re: System Restore Points not available
What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"opalocka" <opalocka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem. Have searched Windows Help to no avail. Has
> anybody found any solution at all? Thanks in advance.
> --
> opalocka
>

> "Wayne O" wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem. What did you have to do to correct it?
>>
>> "Terry G" wrote:
>>
>> > When I access the system properties box, then click on the system
>> > protection
>> > tab, it starts to search for available disks. It continues to search
>> > indefinitely. I'm unable to access any of the features on this tab:
>> > system
>> > restore or create. I've heard this has to do with the new updates. Is
>> > this
>> > true, and is something being done to fix it?

opalocka

Re: System Restore Points not available
Hi Bob, I have windows firewall and McAfee that was downloaded from Comcast.
I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 and it came with Trend Micro PC-cillin which has
expired. Thanks for your response. Any ideas will help.
--
opalocka

"Bob" wrote:

> What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
> are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "opalocka" <opalocka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having the same problem. Have searched Windows Help to no avail. Has
> > anybody found any solution at all? Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > opalocka
> >

> > "Wayne O" wrote:
> >
> >> I have the same problem. What did you have to do to correct it?

Bob

Re: System Restore Points not available
Trend Micro and McAfee are known to cause problems. Sometimes they don’t
show up immediately.
Replace McAfee with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Defender. Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
it.
McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml

Trend Micro does not have an uninstaller. Uninstall it from "Programs and
Features"
-------

> Hi Bob, I have windows firewall and McAfee that was downloaded from
> Comcast.
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 and it came with Trend Micro PC-cillin which
> has
> expired. Thanks for your response. Any ideas will help.
> --
> opalocka
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed?
>> There
>> are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
>> so
>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>
>> [How to ask a question]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>
>> "opalocka" <opalocka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having the same problem. Have searched Windows Help to no avail.
>> >Has
>> > anybody found any solution at all? Thanks in advance.
>> > --
>> > opalocka

Nameless

Re: System Restore Points not available
Can not uninstall Trend Micro from Programs and Features. Right click does
nothing. Thinking it may have already been uninstalled, but sure would like
to get rid of it in programs and features if possible.

news:UvKdnfSCDImceXzanZ2dnUVZ_tWtnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...tID=EN-1033121
-------

"Nameless" <Vistauser@helpneeded.net> wrote in message
> Can not uninstall Trend Micro from Programs and Features. Right click does
> nothing. Thinking it may have already been uninstalled, but sure would
> like
> to get rid of it in programs and features if possible.
>

> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:UvKdnfSCDImceXzanZ2dnUVZ_tWtnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Trend Micro and McAfee are known to cause problems. Sometimes they don’t
> show up immediately.
> Replace McAfee with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
> Windows
> Defender. Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
> it.
> McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml
>
> Trend Micro does not have an uninstaller. Uninstall it from "Programs and
> Features"
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
> so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "opalocka" <opalocka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Bob, I have windows firewall and McAfee that was downloaded from
>> Comcast.
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 and it came with Trend Micro PC-cillin which
>> has
>> expired. Thanks for your response. Any ideas will help.
>> --
>> opalocka
>>

>> "Bob" wrote:
>>
>>> What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed?
>>> There
>>> are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
>>> -------
>>> *Report back, please*
>>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>>> so
>>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>>>
>>> [How to ask a question]
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Nameless

Re: System Restore Points not available
Thanks Bob, but your link refers to XP not Vista. My OS is Windows Vista
Home Premium.

news:ut2dnaGjLMogVn7anZ2dnUVZ_qWtnZ2d@comcast.com. ..