UAC problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsZXkgQw==?=

UAC problem
This might be an Office 2007 problem, but I think it is a Vista problem.

New build
Vista Ultimate 64 bit
4 GB ram
2.13 GHZ dual core
80 GB HDD, SATA, 40 GB free

On 01 Feb, Vista installed, with user "U N".
[ " U N" is an alias to protect the identity of the innocent. ]
All subsequent action performed with user account "U N".
Office 2007 Standard installed using upgrade & Office 2000 CD for qualifying
product.
All verified & activated.
At this point, Word, Excel & Outlook all worked.
Setup Outlook; transferred old outlook.pst to C:\user\UN\documents\email
Pointed Outlook to said folder.
Life was good. We could read old email, send & receive new email.
As best as I can recall, this was the last time Office 2007 programs were
verified as working.
Norton Internet Security 2007 installed.
We could access the internet.

POP3 is comcast, not MSN as
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930008/en-us?spid=2520 notes.

On 02 Feb, user tried to install Act 2005, which failed.
Then, the user tried to install [ QuickBooks ] QB 2007, which failed. User
called Intuit. They blamed & referred the user to Microsoft.
I uninstalled QB.
I installed the Windows Cleanup Utility [ which is 64 bit & Vista compatible
] & used it.
Then, I installed QB 2007 using the Program compatibility feature, with a
setting of compatibility to Windows XP.
QB 2007 works well.

Open Outlook, Excel, Word and Windows tells us that the program has not been
installed for the current user. This is the only user, except for
"Administrator" on the computer.

I searched the internet & found references to "User Access Control". But the
most recent reference was Dec 2006 & RFC. I found no references to the
commercial Vista.

I turned off UAC, rebooted & viola, Office 2007 programs worked fine.
I turned on UAC, rebooted, Office 2007 programs did not work fine.

I repaired Office 2007 using the "change" feature in "programs & features.
Same problem.

I uninstalled Office 2007.
Ran Windows Cleanup Utility, but no references to Office 2007.
With UAC on, I installed Office 2007. Same problem.

I uninstalled Office 2007.
Ran Windows Cleanup Utility, but no references to Office 2007.
With UAC off, I installed Office 2007. Same problem.

I tried to install Office 2007 in safe mode, but the Windows installer would
not run.

With UAC off, when I opened Word, I received a message that "Word failed to
start correctly last time. Starting word in safe mode will help you correct
or isolate a staratup problem in order to successfully start the program.
Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want start Word in
safe mode?"
I selected "no".
I started word: winword /a
Life was good.

I turned on UAC, rebooted. Opened Office 2007 programs & the program has not
been installed for the current user.

Re-install, repair re-install & sfc /scannow , have been considered. I will
try sfc /scannow first.

I hope you can offer additional suggestions.

wc
=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: UAC problem
I have no idea why this happened, but I blame Intuit. Then again, I blame
Intuit for a lot of things, and this may have nothing to do with them. It
thought QB 2007 was supposed to work in Vista?

Do you have any support incidents for MS? I'd start a support case and ask
them to walk you through it.

"Wiley C" wrote:

> [...]
>
> I tried to install Office 2007 in safe mode, but the Windows installer would
> not run.
>
> With UAC off, when I opened Word, I received a message that "Word failed to
> start correctly last time. Starting word in safe mode will help you correct
> or isolate a staratup problem in order to successfully start the program.
> Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want start Word in
> safe mode?"
> I selected "no".
> I started word: winword /a
> Life was good.
>
> I turned on UAC, rebooted. Opened Office 2007 programs & the program has not
> been installed for the current user.
>
> Re-install, repair re-install & sfc /scannow , have been considered. I will
> try sfc /scannow first.
>
> I hope you can offer additional suggestions.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: UAC problem
You can sorta blame Intuit as they gave lousy info....QB 2007 runs on
Vista... I have it running... I blame "Norton Internet Security 2007"
personally but you need to ensure you are on the "R4" version of the
2007 program.. I might have had to 'run as admin' to get it on the box,
but once it's on there, it will work. He needs to ensure that he's on
the latest version though.

But yeah the "blame Microsoft" is typical of Intuit. They need to
ensure they are on the "R4" version of the 2007 program.

QuickBooks Community - Quickbooks won't load and Server won't work:
http://www.quickbooksgroups.com/webx...tall/2166/1?50
"My clients running 2007 on Vista are not having any problems using an
ordinary user account. As to the problems with the service stopped, have
you updated to R4? At that point, Intuit finally figured out how to run
the database as a Windows service instead of linking it to a QB user
that QB installs. "

I concur... get up to "r4" and that should do the trick.

If you are a subscriber to TechNet plus you have two incidents. If you
are a software assurance customer you have web based support as well.
But for the rest of us, I'd stick to this newsgroup and the Quickbooks
one. :-)

Jesper wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I tried to install Office 2007 in safe mode, but the Windows installer would
>> not run.
>>
>> With UAC off, when I opened Word, I received a message that "Word failed to
>> start correctly last time. Starting word in safe mode will help you correct
>> or isolate a staratup problem in order to successfully start the program.
>> Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want start Word in
>> safe mode?"
>> I selected "no".
>> I started word: winword /a
>> Life was good.
>>
>> I turned on UAC, rebooted. Opened Office 2007 programs & the program has not
>> been installed for the current user.
>>
>> Re-install, repair re-install & sfc /scannow , have been considered. I will
>> try sfc /scannow first.
>>
>> I hope you can offer additional suggestions.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsZXkgQw==?=

Re: UAC problem
J & SB:
Thanks for the replies.
No, Microsoft has not been contacted. A reformat & re-install will be
quicker.

QB has been uninstalled.

WC

"Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I tried to install Office 2007 in safe mode, but the Windows installer would
> >> not run.
> >>
> >> With UAC off, when I opened Word, I received a message that "Word failed to
> >> start correctly last time. Starting word in safe mode will help you correct
> >> or isolate a staratup problem in order to successfully start the program.
> >> Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want start Word in
> >> safe mode?"
> >> I selected "no".
> >> I started word: winword /a
> >> Life was good.
> >>
> >> I turned on UAC, rebooted. Opened Office 2007 programs & the program has not
> >> been installed for the current user.
> >>
> >> Re-install, repair re-install & sfc /scannow , have been considered. I will
> >> try sfc /scannow first.
> >>
> >> I hope you can offer additional suggestions.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsZXkgQw==?=

RE: UAC problem
Our "work around" of disabling UAC is less problematic than trying to reach
Micro$oft tech support.

The "mac" & "windows" UAC commercial had initially been irritating. Now,
the woo of the dark side [ apple ] is appealing. However, I have so much
time invested in Windows that change will not occur soon for me.

WC

"Wiley C" wrote:

> [...]
>
> I tried to install Office 2007 in safe mode, but the Windows installer would
> not run.
>
> With UAC off, when I opened Word, I received a message that "Word failed to
> start correctly last time. Starting word in safe mode will help you correct
> or isolate a staratup problem in order to successfully start the program.
> Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want start Word in
> safe mode?"
> I selected "no".
> I started word: winword /a
> Life was good.
>
> I turned on UAC, rebooted. Opened Office 2007 programs & the program has not
> been installed for the current user.
>
> Re-install, repair re-install & sfc /scannow , have been considered. I will
> try sfc /scannow first.
>
> I hope you can offer additional suggestions.

Robert Moir

Re: UAC problem

"Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Our "work around" of disabling UAC is less problematic than trying to
> reach
> Micro$oft tech support.

I'm not surprised you're having trouble contacting support. I've not heard
of "Micro$oft" but Windows Vista is made by a company called "Microsoft".

My workaround for problems with UAC is to buy software that is Vista
compatible. I find that works quite well.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: UAC problem
Quickbooks works on Vista. I have it working here.
When you installed the Office 2007 did it install 2000 "parts" anywhere?

Wiley C wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I tried to install Office 2007 in safe mode, but the Windows installer would
>> not run.
>>
>> With UAC off, when I opened Word, I received a message that "Word failed to
>> start correctly last time. Starting word in safe mode will help you correct
>> or isolate a staratup problem in order to successfully start the program.
>> Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want start Word in
>> safe mode?"
>> I selected "no".
>> I started word: winword /a
>> Life was good.
>>
>> I turned on UAC, rebooted. Opened Office 2007 programs & the program has not
>> been installed for the current user.
>>
>> Re-install, repair re-install & sfc /scannow , have been considered. I will
>> try sfc /scannow first.
>>
>> I hope you can offer additional suggestions.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsZXkgQw==?=

Re: UAC problem
The problem is running Office 2007. I apologize for not making that clear.

WC

"Robert Moir" wrote:

> "Wiley C" <WileyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Our "work around" of disabling UAC is less problematic than trying to
> > reach
> > Micro$oft tech support.

> I'm not surprised you're having trouble contacting support. I've not heard
> of "Micro$oft" but Windows Vista is made by a company called "Microsoft".
>
> My workaround for problems with UAC is to buy software that is Vista
> compatible. I find that works quite well.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsZXkgQw==?=

Re: UAC problem
Ms. Bradley.
1. I don't know what you mean by "2000 "parts" anywhere".

2. Did you install QB 2007 in compatibility mode?

3. Which version of QB 2007 did you install?

4. Did you install QB 2007 from a disk or download?

Thanks for your help.

> [...]

> >> I tried to install Office 2007 in safe mode, but the Windows installer would
> >> not run.
> >>
> >> With UAC off, when I opened Word, I received a message that "Word failed to
> >> start correctly last time. Starting word in safe mode will help you correct
> >> or isolate a staratup problem in order to successfully start the program.
> >> Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want start Word in
> >> safe mode?"
> >> I selected "no".
> >> I started word: winword /a
> >> Life was good.
> >>
> >> I turned on UAC, rebooted. Opened Office 2007 programs & the program has not
> >> been installed for the current user.
> >>
> >> Re-install, repair re-install & sfc /scannow , have been considered. I will
> >> try sfc /scannow first.
> >>
> >> I hope you can offer additional suggestions.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsZXkgQw==?=

Re: UAC problem
As far as I know, Ms Bradley, Office 2007 used the Office 2000 disk only for
verification of the presence of qualifying software because Office 2007 was
installed as an upgrade.

After the Office 2007 installation [ from upgrade ] wizard was satisfied
that a qualifying product was available, the installation of Office 2007
proceeded. I removed the Office 2000 CD when prompted by the Office 2007
installation wizard. It has been a month since that event, so I can not say
with any certainty when that occurred.

Thanks again for your learned replies.