Windows Firewall - McAfee Security Center

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Eric

Windows Firewall - McAfee Security Center
I'm currently using a firewall from McAfee Security Center. Should I be
using Windows Firewall in place, or in addition to McAfee?

I use the computer mostly for web surfing, e-mail, and news. I am not an
online gamer.
Allan

Re: Windows Firewall - McAfee Security Center

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently using a firewall from McAfee Security Center. Should I be
> using Windows Firewall in place, or in addition to McAfee?
>
> I use the computer mostly for web surfing, e-mail, and news. I am not an
> online gamer.

Disable Windows Firewall (Vista) and use McAfee unless you need ipv6
connectivity. Two software firewalls are redundant and do not increase your
security.

zhangxiang

Re: Windows Firewall - McAfee Security Center
Windows Firewall can not protect you from the virus,but McAfee can.
Note: You do not have to use Windows Firewall—you can install and run any
firewall that you choose. Evaluate the features of other firewalls and then
decide which firewall best meets your needs. If you choose to install and
run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall.

How Windows Firewall Works
When someone on the Internet or on a network tries to connect to your
computer, we call that attempt an "unsolicited request." When your computer
gets an unsolicited request, Windows Firewall blocks the connection. If you
run a program such as an instant messaging program or a multiplayer network
game that needs to receive information from the Internet or a network, the
firewall asks if you want to block or unblock (allow) the connection.

If you choose to unblock the connection, Windows Firewall creates an
exception so that the firewall won't bother you when that program needs to
receive information in the future.

Tip:lthough you can turn off Windows Firewall for specific Internet and
network connections, doing this increases the risk to your computer's
security.

--
cdzhangxiang
"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息
> I'm currently using a firewall from McAfee Security Center. Should I be
> using Windows Firewall in place, or in addition to McAfee?
>
> I use the computer mostly for web surfing, e-mail, and news. I am not an
> online gamer.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows Firewall - McAfee Security Center
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:14:00 -0800, Eric
<Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm currently using a firewall from McAfee Security Center. Should I be
> using Windows Firewall in place, or in addition to McAfee?

Pick one of them. Although I'm not a fan of anything McAfee, it
probably makes little difference which.

Don't run two firewalls. You achieve no extra protection, you incur
the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run the risk
(probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between them.

See http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../firewall.mspx
which includes the following:

"Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software firewall
from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

"A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical
home computers, home networking, and small-business networking
scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause
issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior.
One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection
Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial
protection for your computer."

Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If the
Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left with no
running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the Windows
firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your third-party
firewall.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Jesper

Re: Windows Firewall - McAfee Security Center
"Windows Firewall can not protect you from the virus,but McAfee can."

Wrong. Neither can protect you from a virus. No firewall can. Last time I
checked Windows Firewall was still the only one that protected the computer
during boot as well.

---

"zhangxiang" wrote:

> Windows Firewall can not protect you from the virus,but McAfee can.
> Note: You do not have to use Windows Firewall—you can install and run any
> firewall that you choose. Evaluate the features of other firewalls and then
> decide which firewall best meets your needs. If you choose to install and
> run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall.
>
> How Windows Firewall Works
> When someone on the Internet or on a network tries to connect to your
> computer, we call that attempt an "unsolicited request." When your computer
> gets an unsolicited request, Windows Firewall blocks the connection. If you
> run a program such as an instant messaging program or a multiplayer network
> game that needs to receive information from the Internet or a network, the
> firewall asks if you want to block or unblock (allow) the connection.
>
> If you choose to unblock the connection, Windows Firewall creates an
> exception so that the firewall won't bother you when that program needs to
> receive information in the future.
>
> Tip:lthough you can turn off Windows Firewall for specific Internet and
> network connections, doing this increases the risk to your computer's
> security.
>

> --
> cdzhangxiang
> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息
> > I'm currently using a firewall from McAfee Security Center. Should I be
> > using Windows Firewall in place, or in addition to McAfee?
> >
> > I use the computer mostly for web surfing, e-mail, and news. I am not an
> > online gamer.

Scrat

Re: Windows Firewall - McAfee Security Center
McAfee couldn't find its ass in a closet with both hands free. McAfee and
Symantec are GARBAGE.

Scrat

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Windows Firewall can not protect you from the virus,but McAfee can."
>
> Wrong. Neither can protect you from a virus. No firewall can. Last time I
> checked Windows Firewall was still the only one that protected the
> computer
> during boot as well.
>
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>

> "zhangxiang" wrote:
>
>> Windows Firewall can not protect you from the virus,but McAfee can.
>> Note: You do not have to use Windows Firewall—you can install and run any
>> firewall that you choose. Evaluate the features of other firewalls and
>> then
>> decide which firewall best meets your needs. If you choose to install and
>> run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall.
>>
>> How Windows Firewall Works
>> When someone on the Internet or on a network tries to connect to your
>> computer, we call that attempt an "unsolicited request." When your
>> computer
>> gets an unsolicited request, Windows Firewall blocks the connection. If
>> you
>> run a program such as an instant messaging program or a multiplayer
>> network
>> game that needs to receive information from the Internet or a network,
>> the
>> firewall asks if you want to block or unblock (allow) the connection.
>>
>> If you choose to unblock the connection, Windows Firewall creates an
>> exception so that the firewall won't bother you when that program needs
>> receive information in the future.
>>
>> Tip:lthough you can turn off Windows Firewall for specific Internet and
>> network connections, doing this increases the risk to your computer's
>> security.
>>

>> --
>> cdzhangxiang
>> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息
>> > I'm currently using a firewall from McAfee Security Center. Should I
>> > be
>> > using Windows Firewall in place, or in addition to McAfee?
>> >
>> > I use the computer mostly for web surfing, e-mail, and news. I am not
>> > an
>> > online gamer.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Scrat" <scrat@acorn.biz> wrote in message
> McAfee couldn't find its ass in a closet with both hands free. McAfee and
> Symantec are GARBAGE.

Yes.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

robin

Re: Windows Firewall - McAfee Security Center
both true
also running two firewalls will fight with each other and will prolly lock
up your system.
Windows Vista firewall has gotten so much better than xp firewall
allowing/disallowing ins and outs.
If you are running a router connected to your modem you are doubly protected
that way too.
With Vista still so unstable at this time, you are better off running
something that is known compatable to itself- its own firewall.
Use a good antivrius program like AVG, make sure your settings are correct
in Windows Defender (you can go to the Windows Defender Newsgroups and get
good advise there
(http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx
)
and antispyware programs like Spybot Search and Destroy, Superantispyware
and AVG Antispyware (both come free - and you can get both by purchasing one
and having it run in realtime and using the free one as a manual scan).
I run AVG Pro and Free (I have 7 computers) and either tell my clients to
run the pro depending if they are a business or the free if they are not a
business. I have spybot s&d as a manual and superantispyware Pro on some
machines and i run avg antispyware pro and free on others.

robin
news74FFAD2-93DF-4CD7-82F0-1D211759A077@microsoft.com...