Delete Folder

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

vovan

Delete Folder
I have several partitions on 2 hard drives on the PC with Vista Business.
I noticed that after some installations (today I installed SP2 for SQL2005)
on the drive not related to the main partition (it exists for data storage
explicitely) there is a new folder with the name containing just random
charachters, something like 4a5a8b......
Inside of that folder I see a single file with .log extension.
I tried to open that file - "Access denied" was the answer. I tried to
delete it with the same result - "Access denied"
I wouldn't want to see any garbage on my drives. How do I remove those
folders? They are not removed after rebooting, they do not become available
for deletion. If they are program folders then why they are not placed on C:
drive somewhere? They appear on F:, G: drives.

vovan

Jawade

Re: Delete Folder
In article <#kBhUERXHHA.5092@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, vovan <someone@vovan.com> says...
> I have several partitions on 2 hard drives on the PC with Vista Business.
> I noticed that after some installations (today I installed SP2 for SQL2005)
> on the drive not related to the main partition (it exists for data storage
> explicitely) there is a new folder with the name containing just random
> charachters, something like 4a5a8b......
> Inside of that folder I see a single file with .log extension.
> I tried to open that file - "Access denied" was the answer. I tried to
> delete it with the same result - "Access denied"
> I wouldn't want to see any garbage on my drives. How do I remove those
> folders? They are not removed after rebooting, they do not become available
> for deletion. If they are program folders then why they are not placed on C:
> drive somewhere? They appear on F:, G: drives.

Maybe you can remove them in safe mode?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Bootmanager ook voor Vista
Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl
=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: Delete Folder
> In article <#kBhUERXHHA.5092@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, vovan
<someone@vovan.com> says...
> > I have several partitions on 2 hard drives on the PC with Vista Business.
> > I noticed that after some installations (today I installed SP2 for SQL2005)
> > on the drive not related to the main partition (it exists for data storage
> > explicitely) there is a new folder with the name containing just random
> > charachters, something like 4a5a8b......
> > Inside of that folder I see a single file with .log extension.
> > I tried to open that file - "Access denied" was the answer. I tried to
> > delete it with the same result - "Access denied"
> > I wouldn't want to see any garbage on my drives. How do I remove those
> > folders? They are not removed after rebooting, they do not become available
> > for deletion. If they are program folders then why they are not placed on C:
> > drive somewhere? They appear on F:, G: drives.

What does the remainder of the Access Denied error say? Is it "access denied
the former you may have a little shield on one of the buttons that allows you
to elevate and delete the folder. If not, right-click it, go to the security
tab, and change the permissions to give yourself the right to delete it.

If it is the latter then you can't delete it while a program has it open.
You would need to get the program to close the handle. Process Explorer can
help you find out which program has the handle open.