UAC manual accept?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

UAC manual accept?
I understand the reason for UAC and don't mind it (that much). But I would
REALLY like to be able to add accepted files so I'm not always prompted.

A number of my aps ALWAYS ask for permission and I constantly allow. Is
there any way to permanently accept these applications?

Thanks

Jeff
Richard Urban

Re: UAC manual accept?
I have only one item that does that on my computer. It is a small program
that looks for an auto update every 24 hours. I just turned off the option
in the programs preferences section..

It can be annoying.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I understand the reason for UAC and don't mind it (that much). But I would
> REALLY like to be able to add accepted files so I'm not always prompted.
>
> A number of my aps ALWAYS ask for permission and I constantly allow. Is
> there any way to permanently accept these applications?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Re: UAC manual accept?
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info.

My apps are not ones that look for updates, they are actual programs (Tax
preparation, marking software). Vista always asks for permission to run them
when I try to start them.

I have set them all to "run as admin" under preferences.

One would think that after allowing them to run a few times that Vista would
realize they are OK or at least present an override option.

Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: UAC manual accept?
> My apps are not ones that look for updates, they are actual programs (Tax
> preparation, marking software). Vista always asks for permission to run them
> when I try to start them.
>
> I have set them all to "run as admin" under preferences.

If you set them to "run as admin" they will always prompt. If you clear that
check-box they will probably stop prompting.

There are several ways a prompt can get presented for a program:
1. If you set the "run as admin" setting in the program options
2. If the program contains a manifest that is configured to cause the
program to run as an administrator (for all types of users) or with maximum
permissions (for administrators only).
3. If the program is on a small list of programs that UAC has the been
written to always prompt for. Mostly this is done only for installers.

If none of these apply for a program it will not prompt. If the program
tries to perform an administrative action it may fail, depending on what the
action was.

> One would think that after allowing them to run a few times that Vista would
> realize they are OK or at least present an override option.

The issue is not whether the program is OK or not. The issue is whether the
user really wanted to perform the action the program performs. The whole idea
behind UAC is to make developers write programs that factor administrative
actions out and permits most of the functionality to be used by non-admins.
anthonyp

Re: UAC manual accept?
Always Running an Application as an Administrator
Windows Vista also enables you to mark an application so that it always runs
with administrator privileges. This is useful for resolving compatibility
issues with legacy applications that require administrator privileges. It is
also useful for Windows Vistacompliant applications that normally run in
standard mode but which you use to perform administrative tasks. As
examples, consider the following:

a.. An application written for an earlier version of Windows requires
administrator privileges. Because this program is configured to use standard
mode by default under Windows Vista, the program isn't running properly and
is generating numerous errors. To resolve the compatibility problem, you
decide to mark the application to always run as an administrator.

b.. A standard application written for Windows Vista is routinely run in
elevated mode and used for administration tasks. To eliminate the need to
right-click the application shortcut and select Run As Administrator before
running the application, you decide to mark it to always run as an
administrator.

Note

You cannot mark system applications or processes to always run as an
administrator. Only nonsystem applications and processes can be marked to
always run as an administrator.

You can mark an application to always run as an administrator by following
these steps:

1. On the Start menu, locate the program that you want to always run
as an administrator.

2. Right-click the application's shortcut and then click Properties.

3. In the Properties dialog box, select the Compatibility tab.

4. Under Privilege Level, select the Run This Program As An
Administrator check box.

> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> My apps are not ones that look for updates, they are actual programs (Tax
> preparation, marking software). Vista always asks for permission to run
> them
> when I try to start them.
>
> I have set them all to "run as admin" under preferences.
>
> One would think that after allowing them to run a few times that Vista
> would
> realize they are OK or at least present an override option.
>
> Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Re: UAC manual accept?
Thanks folks,

I turned off "run as admin" and it did help with one of the apps.

I have also noticed that shortcuts to the programs that bring up these
prompts also have a little shield on the bottom right corner - related?

Ahh... just found something else... when I view properties and make sure the
run as admin is off I checked under the "show settings for all users" and run
as admin was checked... removing the check stopped the issue with another
program.

I also changed some of the security permission for the different user levels
- not sure if this made a difference either.

These changes didn't seem to help other apps so I'm not sure if I'm on to
something or just got lucky.

Jeff

Richard Urban

Re: UAC manual accept?
When once the programs you are using are updated for Vista you will not have
this occurrence any longer. Running older programs you will have to learn to
live with it.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> My apps are not ones that look for updates, they are actual programs (Tax
> preparation, marking software). Vista always asks for permission to run
> them
> when I try to start them.
>
> I have set them all to "run as admin" under preferences.
>
> One would think that after allowing them to run a few times that Vista
> would
> realize they are OK or at least present an override option.
>
> Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Re: UAC manual accept?
Richard - tnx )