Manifest not working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

G. Plante

Manifest not working
Hi,

I have a small program named MyProg.exe that requires administrative rights
to run. I want that when the user run it, he gets the concent prompt to run
it as administrator. I tried to create a manifest file named
MyProg.exe.manifest in the same folder but it does not work at all. I'm not
able to get the concent prompt. But, as I read on the internet, it should
work. I tried with several version of the manifest file with no success at
all.

Is somebody could tell me what's wrong with manifest ? Is it should work or
not ?

Is somebody has a manifest file model that work ?

Thanks for any help.

--
G. Plante

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: Manifest not working
> I have a small program named MyProg.exe that requires administrative rights
> to run. I want that when the user run it, he gets the concent prompt to run
> it as administrator. I tried to create a manifest file named
> MyProg.exe.manifest in the same folder but it does not work at all. I'm not
> able to get the concent prompt. But, as I read on the internet, it should
> work. I tried with several version of the manifest file with no success at
> all.

I think my first attempt at answering was lost.

I'm not expert on manifests (try someone in the programming newsgroups) but
very likely the program has a manifest attached by the linker and I am pretty
sure you can't have a file system manifest if there is an attached manifest.
The easiest way to resolve the problem would probably be to embed the
manifest with the linker. If you can't do that, why don't you try to extract
the existing manifest and modify it. I used these steps to modify the
manifest on Notepad.exe.

1. Open an SDK command prompt. It does not need to be an admin
2. Run
mt.exe -nologo -inputresource:notepad.exe;#1 -out:extracted.manifest
3. Modify the extracted.manifest to change the requiredExecutionLevel to
requireAdministrator
4. Re-embed the manifest using
mt.exe -outputresource:notepad-test.exe;#1 -manifest extracted.manifest

Obviously you'll need to replace notepad.exe and notepad-test.exe before you
use these commands. The output resource must also exist already.

G. Plante

Re: Manifest not working
Thank you for this information. However, I do not have the MT.EXE utility.
Whar I can find this utility ? Is this utility is included with some
Microsoft products ?

G. Plante.

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a small program named MyProg.exe that requires administrative
>> rights
>> to run. I want that when the user run it, he gets the concent prompt to
>> run
>> it as administrator. I tried to create a manifest file named
>> MyProg.exe.manifest in the same folder but it does not work at all. I'm
>> not
>> able to get the concent prompt. But, as I read on the internet, it should
>> work. I tried with several version of the manifest file with no success
>> at
>> all.

> I think my first attempt at answering was lost.
>
> I'm not expert on manifests (try someone in the programming newsgroups)
> but
> very likely the program has a manifest attached by the linker and I am
> pretty
> sure you can't have a file system manifest if there is an attached
> manifest.
> The easiest way to resolve the problem would probably be to embed the
> manifest with the linker. If you can't do that, why don't you try to
> extract
> the existing manifest and modify it. I used these steps to modify the
> manifest on Notepad.exe.
>
> 1. Open an SDK command prompt. It does not need to be an admin
> 2. Run
> mt.exe -nologo -inputresource:notepad.exe;#1 -out:extracted.manifest
> 3. Modify the extracted.manifest to change the requiredExecutionLevel to
> requireAdministrator
> 4. Re-embed the manifest using
> mt.exe -outputresource:notepad-test.exe;#1 -manifest extracted.manifest
>
> Obviously you'll need to replace notepad.exe and notepad-test.exe before
> you
> use these commands. The output resource must also exist already.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: Manifest not working
> Thank you for this information. However, I do not have the MT.EXE utility.
> Whar I can find this utility ? Is this utility is included with some
> Microsoft products ?

mt.exe is part of the Windows SDK. You can download it at: