winlogon trojan/worm???

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?bGlsbW9tbWFvZjM=?=

winlogon trojan/worm???
Hi, somehow I have contracted a virus that "windows reports and solutions"
says it is the winlogon Trojan/worm virus. I have run live one virus scan to
no avail, it says there are no viruses. And when I look on the virus data
base I can not find this virus to see what it does and how to get rid of it.
If you know what I can do to get rid of this thing please let me know. Oh,
and I have all my firewalls and protection from vista up and running, so how
did it get thru in the first place? I have not downloaded anything. Thank you
for your replies.
Malke

Re: winlogon trojan/worm???
lilmommaof3 wrote:
> Hi, somehow I have contracted a virus that "windows reports and solutions"
> says it is the winlogon Trojan/worm virus. I have run live one virus scan to
> no avail, it says there are no viruses. And when I look on the virus data
> base I can not find this virus to see what it does and how to get rid of it.
> If you know what I can do to get rid of this thing please let me know. Oh,
> and I have all my firewalls and protection from vista up and running, so how
> did it get thru in the first place? I have not downloaded anything. Thank you
> for your replies.

Is "Windows Reports and Solutions" part of OneLiveCare? If so, contact
them to find out if this is a false-positive.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
=?Utf-8?B?bGlsbW9tbWFvZjM=?=

Re: winlogon trojan/worm???
No, I do not think it is part of live one, I downloaded live one after I got
the message saying I had the virus. I had Macafee when I got my computer(last
week) but uninstalled it since it was not working well with vista. I did not
think about the fact that vista did not have an anti virus, since it has
everything else an anti virus software would have. So thus when I contracted
the virus(yesterday) I did not have any anti virus software installed. After
receiving the message telling me about it, I downloaded Windows live onecare
off of the microsoft website. This software is not detecting the virus even
though I still get the message that I have the virus. Should I try another
anti virus program to see if it will detect and remove the virus? Thanks
again.

"Malke" wrote:

> lilmommaof3 wrote:
> > Hi, somehow I have contracted a virus that "windows reports and solutions"
> > says it is the winlogon Trojan/worm virus. I have run live one virus scan to
> > no avail, it says there are no viruses. And when I look on the virus data
> > base I can not find this virus to see what it does and how to get rid of it.
> > If you know what I can do to get rid of this thing please let me know. Oh,
> > and I have all my firewalls and protection from vista up and running, so how
> > did it get thru in the first place? I have not downloaded anything. Thank you
> > for your replies.

> Is "Windows Reports and Solutions" part of OneLiveCare? If so, contact
> them to find out if this is a false-positive.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

pete

Re: winlogon trojan/worm???
If you contacted the Virus while you had no Anti Virus Program installed
what or better who told you that you had a virus????
Windows defender will warn about malware..not too sure if it actually warns
about virus.
try an online scanner
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
peter

"lilmommaof3" <lilmommaof3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No, I do not think it is part of live one, I downloaded live one after I
> got
> the message saying I had the virus. I had Macafee when I got my
> computer(last
> week) but uninstalled it since it was not working well with vista. I did
> not
> think about the fact that vista did not have an anti virus, since it has
> everything else an anti virus software would have. So thus when I
> contracted
> the virus(yesterday) I did not have any anti virus software installed.
> After
> receiving the message telling me about it, I downloaded Windows live
> onecare
> off of the microsoft website. This software is not detecting the virus
> even
> though I still get the message that I have the virus. Should I try another
> anti virus program to see if it will detect and remove the virus? Thanks
> again.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> lilmommaof3 wrote:
>> > Hi, somehow I have contracted a virus that "windows reports and
>> > solutions"
>> > says it is the winlogon Trojan/worm virus. I have run live one virus
>> > scan to
>> > no avail, it says there are no viruses. And when I look on the virus
>> > data
>> > base I can not find this virus to see what it does and how to get rid
>> > of it.
>> > If you know what I can do to get rid of this thing please let me know.
>> > Oh,
>> > and I have all my firewalls and protection from vista up and running,
>> > so how
>> > did it get thru in the first place? I have not downloaded anything.
>> > Thank you
>> > for your replies.

>> Is "Windows Reports and Solutions" part of OneLiveCare? If so, contact
>> them to find out if this is a false-positive.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

pete

Re: winlogon trojan/worm???
here is a little more info to help figure it out
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...logon.exe.html

peter
"lilmommaof3" <lilmommaof3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No, I do not think it is part of live one, I downloaded live one after I
> got
> the message saying I had the virus. I had Macafee when I got my
> computer(last
> week) but uninstalled it since it was not working well with vista. I did
> not
> think about the fact that vista did not have an anti virus, since it has
> everything else an anti virus software would have. So thus when I
> contracted
> the virus(yesterday) I did not have any anti virus software installed.
> After
> receiving the message telling me about it, I downloaded Windows live
> onecare
> off of the microsoft website. This software is not detecting the virus
> even
> though I still get the message that I have the virus. Should I try another
> anti virus program to see if it will detect and remove the virus? Thanks
> again.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> lilmommaof3 wrote:
>> > Hi, somehow I have contracted a virus that "windows reports and
>> > solutions"
>> > says it is the winlogon Trojan/worm virus. I have run live one virus
>> > scan to
>> > no avail, it says there are no viruses. And when I look on the virus
>> > data
>> > base I can not find this virus to see what it does and how to get rid
>> > of it.
>> > If you know what I can do to get rid of this thing please let me know.
>> > Oh,
>> > and I have all my firewalls and protection from vista up and running,
>> > so how
>> > did it get thru in the first place? I have not downloaded anything.
>> > Thank you
>> > for your replies.

>> Is "Windows Reports and Solutions" part of OneLiveCare? If so, contact
>> them to find out if this is a false-positive.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?bGlsbW9tbWFvZjM=?=

Re: winlogon trojan/worm???

Ok, this is what the message itself says, It is from windows problem reports
and solutions(when windows checks for a solution to why a program stopped
working).....

Virus alert: Windows detected the Winlogon Trojan/Worm virus on your computer

This problem was caused by Winlogon Trojan/Worm, a known computer virus.

A solution is available that will solve this problem.

Solution

To prevent this problem from occurring again, click the link below to go
online and then follow the instructions.

Microsoft Corporation

Additional information

To keep yourself informed of the latest security issues, visit the Microsoft
security website.

To see a list of Microsoft and third-party solutions for spyware, adware,
and antivirus software, go to the following webpage online.

Security software: Downloads and trials

Note: You can avoid this and many other errors by running Automatic Update
and running an up-to-date anti-virus application. Automatic Update keeps your
computer up-to-date and secure by notifying you as soon as updates become
available.

Learn more about Automatic Update.
Review the article 49500 for a list of anti-virus software vendors.

I did everything it said to do on this message and the virus is still there.
I do not see what it does bad to my computer besides right after I log on it
says that winlogon.exe has stopped working, then it checks for solution and
this message comes up. I can do everything the same as before with the virus.
It does not hinder anything I do on my computer. I mainly want to make sure
that I can not spread the virus with others via email and that it does not
end up harming my computer. If there is a way to get it off that would be
great, but if it is not harmful it is fine i guess. I just want to know what
this virus does to my computer. Thank you.
pete

Re: winlogon trojan/worm???
This is a standard for NT machines , can be found in NT/2000/XP but not in
windows 98/95/ME, however from what i have experienced is that there is a
Virus CLONE of this and obviously needs to be gone, NT/2000/XP users will
have to look closely at the filename if its Winlogon.exe then its ok if its
WinIogon.exe (with Capital i) kill it, or if its Winlogin.exe (notice the
change from logon to login) then kill it. but do use extreme caution as you
could lock yourself out,if you delete the wrong one

> Ok, this is what the message itself says, It is from windows problem
> reports
> and solutions(when windows checks for a solution to why a program stopped
> working).....
>
> Virus alert: Windows detected the Winlogon Trojan/Worm virus on your
> computer
>
> This problem was caused by Winlogon Trojan/Worm, a known computer virus.
>
> A solution is available that will solve this problem.
>
> Solution

> To prevent this problem from occurring again, click the link below to go
> online and then follow the instructions.
>
> Microsoft Corporation
>
> Additional information
>
> To keep yourself informed of the latest security issues, visit the
> Microsoft
> security website.
>
> To see a list of Microsoft and third-party solutions for spyware, adware,
> and antivirus software, go to the following webpage online.
>
> Security software: Downloads and trials
>
> Note: You can avoid this and many other errors by running Automatic Update
> and running an up-to-date anti-virus application. Automatic Update keeps
> your
> computer up-to-date and secure by notifying you as soon as updates become
> available.
>
> Learn more about Automatic Update.
> Review the article 49500 for a list of anti-virus software vendors.
>

> I did everything it said to do on this message and the virus is still
> there.
> I do not see what it does bad to my computer besides right after I log on
> it
> says that winlogon.exe has stopped working, then it checks for solution
> and
> this message comes up. I can do everything the same as before with the
> virus.
> It does not hinder anything I do on my computer. I mainly want to make
> sure
> that I can not spread the virus with others via email and that it does not
> end up harming my computer. If there is a way to get it off that would be
> great, but if it is not harmful it is fine i guess. I just want to know
> what
> this virus does to my computer. Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?bGlsbW9tbWFvZjM=?=

Re: winlogon trojan/worm???
Thanks. It says winlogon.exe and i am running vista, but it appears to just
be a little annoying but not harmful. So thanks a bunch for the info.

"pete" wrote:

> This is a standard for NT machines , can be found in NT/2000/XP but not in
> windows 98/95/ME, however from what i have experienced is that there is a
> Virus CLONE of this and obviously needs to be gone, NT/2000/XP users will
> have to look closely at the filename if its Winlogon.exe then its ok if its
> WinIogon.exe (with Capital i) kill it, or if its Winlogin.exe (notice the
> change from logon to login) then kill it. but do use extreme caution as you
> could lock yourself out,if you delete the wrong one
> peter
> "lilmommaof3" <lilmommaof3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Ok, this is what the message itself says, It is from windows problem
> > reports
> > and solutions(when windows checks for a solution to why a program stopped
> > working).....
> >
> > Virus alert: Windows detected the Winlogon Trojan/Worm virus on your
> > computer
> >
> > This problem was caused by Winlogon Trojan/Worm, a known computer virus.
> >
> > A solution is available that will solve this problem.
> >
> > Solution

> > To prevent this problem from occurring again, click the link below to go
> > online and then follow the instructions.
> >
> > Microsoft Corporation
> >
> > Additional information
> >
> > To keep yourself informed of the latest security issues, visit the
> > Microsoft
> > security website.
> >
> > To see a list of Microsoft and third-party solutions for spyware, adware,
> > and antivirus software, go to the following webpage online.
> >
> > Security software: Downloads and trials
> >
> > Note: You can avoid this and many other errors by running Automatic Update
> > and running an up-to-date anti-virus application. Automatic Update keeps
> > your
> > computer up-to-date and secure by notifying you as soon as updates become
> > available.
> >
> > Learn more about Automatic Update.
> > Review the article 49500 for a list of anti-virus software vendors.
> >

> > I did everything it said to do on this message and the virus is still
> > there.
> > I do not see what it does bad to my computer besides right after I log on
> > it
> > says that winlogon.exe has stopped working, then it checks for solution
> > and
> > this message comes up. I can do everything the same as before with the
> > virus.
> > It does not hinder anything I do on my computer. I mainly want to make
> > sure
> > that I can not spread the virus with others via email and that it does not
> > end up harming my computer. If there is a way to get it off that would be
> > great, but if it is not harmful it is fine i guess. I just want to know
> > what
> > this virus does to my computer. Thank you.

Mr. Freeze

Re: winlogon trojan/worm???
I just had a thought, have you tried using system restore to go back before
you got the virus? You might try that. Hope this helps. Goodluck