Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

access denied

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
LarryW
 

Posts: n/a
access denied
When I try to look at, for instance, All Users/Desktop from the explorer I
get an 'access denied'. My account is an Administrator account but I do have
UAC enabled. How do I elevate my privileges so that I can 'administer' the
files that are on my computer?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
=?Utf-8?B?QmVubnk=?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: access denied
LarryW,

I had the same problem after upgrading from XP to Vista. I found out that
the old XP directory structure had been reconfigured and the Vista Structure
was vastly different. To accommodate legacy software, Vista has a shortcut
type thing (I think they call it a junction) that allows access to the new
file structure. If you'll notice, your "My Documents" area is now just
"Documents." If you dig around, you will probably find your document
elsewhere.

Benny

"LarryW" wrote:

> When I try to look at, for instance, All Users/Desktop from the explorer I
> get an 'access denied'. My account is an Administrator account but I do have
> UAC enabled. How do I elevate my privileges so that I can 'administer' the
> files that are on my computer?
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
LarryW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: access denied
In article <F17E4D3D-CBD1-45DD-AB41-97721B60D98D@microsoft.com>, Benny wrote:
> From: Benny <Benny@discussions.microsoft.com>
> Subject: RE: access denied
> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:03:45 -0800
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
>
> LarryW,
>
> I had the same problem after upgrading from XP to Vista. I found out that
> the old XP directory structure had been reconfigured and the Vista Structure
> was vastly different. To accommodate legacy software, Vista has a shortcut
> type thing (I think they call it a junction) that allows access to the new
> file structure. If you'll notice, your "My Documents" area is now just
> "Documents." If you dig around, you will probably find your document
> elsewhere.
>
> Benny
>
> "LarryW" wrote:
>
> > When I try to look at, for instance, All Users/Desktop from the explorer I
> > get an 'access denied'. My account is an Administrator account but I do have
> > UAC enabled. How do I elevate my privileges so that I can 'administer' the
> > files that are on my computer?
> >
> >

>

It's not that I'm looking for a document but that I want to see what's in that
folder. If it's a 'junction' then shouldn't that take me to the 'real' folder? I
see a little arrow next to them that I assume is the 'junction' indicator. I can
click over some of them and the properties shows where the 'real' location is but
others don't. Searching the help and support for 'junction' doesn't find
anything. I can't find any description of this in the 'using files and folders'.
Where do I find information on this? Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: access denied
Larry;
What version?
Pay, free as well as build number.
Are you using the latest version of AVG, Version 7.5?
I assume you are using the RTM version of Vista and not one of the pre
release versions.

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling AVG.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"LarryW" <lwdaddio@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
news:VA.00000031.05846e45@newsgroups.nospam...
> When I try to look at, for instance, All Users/Desktop from the explorer I
> get an 'access denied'. My account is an Administrator account but I do
> have
> UAC enabled. How do I elevate my privileges so that I can 'administer'
> the
> files that are on my computer?
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: access denied
Sorry Larry.
Wrong thread.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
news:O59ND9SVHHA.1200@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Larry;
> What version?
> Pay, free as well as build number.
> Are you using the latest version of AVG, Version 7.5?
> I assume you are using the RTM version of Vista and not one of the pre
> release versions.
>
> Try uninstalling and then reinstalling AVG.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: access denied
> It's not that I'm looking for a document but that I want to see what's in
that
> folder. If it's a 'junction' then shouldn't that take me to the 'real' folder?


Junctions take you to the real folder if you try to open a file through
them. However, if you try to navigate through them you are actually trying to
list files and that is specifically blocked on them.

> I
> see a little arrow next to them that I assume is the 'junction' indicator. I can
> click over some of them and the properties shows where the 'real' location is but
> others don't.


Which ones do not have the arrows? If you go to a command line you can
generally see the junction, like this:
C:\>dir /a "Documents and Settings\all Users"
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is B614-7D1C

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\all Users

02/19/2007 08:15 AM <DIR> .
02/19/2007 08:15 AM <DIR> ..
12/06/2006 03:55 PM <DIR> Adobe
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\ProgramData]
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Desktop [C:\Users\Public\Desktop]
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Documents [C:\Users\Public\Documents]
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Favorites [C:\Users\Public\Favorites]
02/07/2007 11:19 PM <DIR> InstallShield
02/13/2007 10:14 AM <DIR> McAfee
01/30/2007 03:28 PM <DIR> Microsoft
02/19/2007 09:32 AM <DIR> Microsoft Help
02/19/2007 08:15 AM 13,276 ntuser.pol
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Start Menu
[C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wind
ows\Start Menu]
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Templates
[C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windo
ws\Templates]
1 File(s) 13,276 bytes
13 Dir(s) 31,463,129,088 bytes free

> Searching the help and support for 'junction' doesn't find
> anything. I can't find any description of this in the 'using files and folders'.
> Where do I find information on this? Thanks!


Silly you. Thinking that Microsoft would document something like this in the
help file. :-)

If anything, this would be a KB topic. Here is one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930128/en-us

I went into some depth on this in the Vista Security Book
(http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista-...dp/0470101555/) as well, but that won't be out until June or so.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
LarryW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: access denied
In article <876BA25F-B337-4FA7-8DFB-2F13887D7997@microsoft.com>, Jesper wrote:
> > I
> > see a little arrow next to them that I assume is the 'junction' indicator. I can
> > click over some of them and the properties shows where the 'real' location is but
> > others don't.

>
> Which ones do not have the arrows?
>

All of the ones I'm talking about have the arrows. What I was trying to say is that
in some of them (such as C:\Users\All Users) the properties shows the target as
C:\ProgramData. In others (such as C:\Documents and Settings) there's nothing in the
target field.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007
LarryW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: access denied
In article <876BA25F-B337-4FA7-8DFB-2F13887D7997@microsoft.com>, Jesper wrote:
> Silly you. Thinking that Microsoft would document something like this in the
> help file. :-)
>
> If anything, this would be a KB topic. Here is one:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930128/en-us
>

Thanks for the link!

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2007
=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: access denied
> All of the ones I'm talking about have the arrows. What I was trying to
say is that
> in some of them (such as C:\Users\All Users) the properties shows the target as
> C:\ProgramData. In others (such as C:\Documents and Settings) there's nothing in the
> target field.


Aah. OK, I see what you are saying. Technically, the reason some have a
location and others don't is because some (like C:\Users\All Users) are
actually symbolic links, whereas others (like C:\Documents and Settings) are
junctions. There is a slight difference between the two. Windows has never
supported symbolic links until now and it appears the Shell was updated to
show the target for them, but not for Junctions. In addition, symbolic links
cannot traverse drives, whereas junctions can.

As for why some are symbolic links and some are junctions, I honestly have
no idea.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2007
Jimmy Brush
 

Posts: n/a
Re: access denied
Wow! Nice find!

I am curious myself as to why that one is a symbolic link as opposed to a
junction.


--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WOW, it works >Re: Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied MR Harrington microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 4 08-02-2007 01:50
Network Access Denied Vince microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 9 04-02-2007 22:58
Access is denied message when trying to access a remote printer =?Utf-8?B?TWFya0M=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 1 03-09-2007 02:34
Connecting Vista to XP shared folders, Access is denied. Why? zombi microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 03-02-2007 00:23
Re: SUID Kurt Harriger microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 7 12-18-2006 11:06




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:52.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120