How do I restart the service of Windows Security Center?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Loiselle

How do I restart the service of Windows Security Center?

I've read quite a few threads on people who do have an antivirus
installed with Vista.

I have one installed, it's working fine... but the Security Center does
not see it that way. And it's the same for Windows Defender. I am
currently using Windows Live OneCare, and Windows Defender as my
security options. But the security is not seeing either as being on my
computer.

When I open the security center, it shows as no anti-virus being found
on in the system, and, oddly enough, it's the same for Windows
Defender. It is now to the point where I have to "monitor it myself."
I know it's working... and this should be a non issue. But it's really
bugging me! So I would like to have this issue resolved with your help
as soon as possible.

Please help!

If you would like direct contact to me to help me even faster (which
would be MUCH appreciated) you can contact me via EMAIL at
BMLoiselle@gmail.com or Instant Message me at BMLBoss429 using AOL IM.

Thank you very much in advance.

--
Loiselle
Loiselle's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22254

http://forums.techarena.in

Loiselle

Re: How do I restart the service of Windows Security Center?

Bump... please help... any MVP's?

--
Loiselle
Loiselle's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22254
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=686048

http://forums.techarena.in

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: How do I restart the service of Windows Security Center?
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:27:54 +0530, Loiselle

>I have one installed, it's working fine... but the Security Center does
>not see it that way. And it's the same for Windows Defender. I am
>currently using Windows Live OneCare, and Windows Defender as my
>security options. But the security is not seeing either as being on my
>computer.

Is One Care your resident av?

>When I open the security center, it shows as no anti-virus being found
>on in the system, and, oddly enough, it's the same for Windows
>Defender. It is now to the point where I have to "monitor it myself."
>I know it's working... and this should be a non issue.

Defender's part of Vista (unles you installed an ?old version
explicitly), and One Care should be familiar to Vista also. So while
I read of various 3rd-party av apps that aren't detected by XP and
Vista, that should not apply here.

I'd be concerned that you have active malware that is upending these
resident defences, so that although they may appear to work, they
don't. Expect this to be the case if you see other broken fences;
firewall off and can't stay on again, unable to get updates for av,
can't read av web sites, etc.

If this were XP, I'd suggest finding a tach with anti-malware skills,
who may approach this by scanning formally from a Bart CDR boot, using
plugged-in scanners "from orbit". This is what I'd do.

But being Vista, the solution space changes. The Bart approach will
work, especially on Vista32, but within limitations; for example, the
RunScanner plug-in won't "see" or access the Vista registry hives, so
any tools that need registry access will be ineffective.

At least with Vista, you don't have to resort to Bart just to access
the system's contents without booting the infected OS. You can use
the mOS within the Vista boot DVD, which is built on WinPE 2.0 and may
include the WinRE that replaces XP's less powerful and friendly
Recovery Console.

But as a tech familiar with Bart, I have to re-learn everything about
plugging in scanners and other tools to do the same in WinPE, or to
modify Bart as a cross-accessed companion CDR for the native Vista
DVD-based boot. There seems to be no Vista equivalent to RunScanner
for WinPE, and that's a serious functionality loss right there.

OTOH, if you're using Vista64, your options are bleaker. Yes, you
have 64-bit versions of WinPE and WinRE, but they seem to run far
fewer 3rd-party tools than Vista32-based WinPE etc.

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!