Security Center won't turn on

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpY2tuZXI=?=

Security Center won't turn on
I did a clean instal of Vista Ultimate, everyhting was running great. The
security center informend me I did not have antivirus software on my system
and suggested a few that were Vista compatible. I have used symantic
antivirus in the past so I picked up the latest norton antivirus 2007 and
installed it. It never worked, and I kept getting an error saying it could
not migrate virus definitions and vista was not compatible. So i unistalled
with Norton removal tool. During the instal of norton antivirus and
afterword, I have not been able to turn the windows security system on. When
I try, it just says "the secuirty Center cannot be started".

Any suggestions?
=?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=

RE: Security Center won't turn on
I have the same issue on my computer too, although I installed Windows Live
OneCare. I have a firewall and antispam etc through that program so do I
still need my Windows firewall turned on too? Do I even need to use the
Security Center? I am confused about this issue.

"Brickner" wrote:

> I did a clean instal of Vista Ultimate, everyhting was running great. The
> security center informend me I did not have antivirus software on my system
> and suggested a few that were Vista compatible. I have used symantic
> antivirus in the past so I picked up the latest norton antivirus 2007 and
> installed it. It never worked, and I kept getting an error saying it could
> not migrate virus definitions and vista was not compatible. So i unistalled
> with Norton removal tool. During the instal of norton antivirus and
> afterword, I have not been able to turn the windows security system on. When
> I try, it just says "the secuirty Center cannot be started".
>
> Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: Security Center won't turn on
There are two questions in this thread:

1. Help! I uninstalled Symantec's security suite and now I can't run Windows
Security Center.
This *should* not be happening with Vista. There are protections against
third-party vendors turning off Security Center. It is certainly possible to
turn them off, but that should be considered a hostile action. That's not at
all to say that Symantec wouldn't do so.

I _believe_ the reason you are having this problem is a flawed uninstaller
in Symantec's AV suite. Most likely they leave the Windows Security Center
service disabled after they uninstall. You need to re-enable the service for
Windows Security Center. This KB article tells you how to do it on XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919291. The instructions are very similar for
Vista, but you can type services.msc in the search dialog on the start menu
instead of in the Run menu.

2. I have OneCare. Do I still need the Windows Firewall?
No. In fact, you can't use it. OneCare comes with its own firewall.

<rant>
I find the fact that OneCare comes with its own firewall confusing and a
poor use of resources. The built-in firewall is better, less intrusive, and
faster. It would be nice if Microsoft were to finally stop building the same
functionality in three different places just because they have the people to
do it.
</rant>

"Dan" wrote:

> I have the same issue on my computer too, although I installed Windows Live
> OneCare. I have a firewall and antispam etc through that program so do I
> still need my Windows firewall turned on too? Do I even need to use the
> Security Center? I am confused about this issue.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpY2tuZXI=?=

RE: Security Center won't turn on
Thanks for the advise. It sounds like it may work, I will give it a shot
during my lunch break, and will post my results.

Thanks for the help

"Jesper" wrote:

> There are two questions in this thread:
>
> 1. Help! I uninstalled Symantec's security suite and now I can't run Windows
> Security Center.
> This *should* not be happening with Vista. There are protections against
> third-party vendors turning off Security Center. It is certainly possible to
> turn them off, but that should be considered a hostile action. That's not at
> all to say that Symantec wouldn't do so.
>
> I _believe_ the reason you are having this problem is a flawed uninstaller
> in Symantec's AV suite. Most likely they leave the Windows Security Center
> service disabled after they uninstall. You need to re-enable the service for
> Windows Security Center. This KB article tells you how to do it on XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919291. The instructions are very similar for
> Vista, but you can type services.msc in the search dialog on the start menu
> instead of in the Run menu.
>
> 2. I have OneCare. Do I still need the Windows Firewall?
> No. In fact, you can't use it. OneCare comes with its own firewall.
>
> <rant>
> I find the fact that OneCare comes with its own firewall confusing and a
> poor use of resources. The built-in firewall is better, less intrusive, and
> faster. It would be nice if Microsoft were to finally stop building the same
> functionality in three different places just because they have the people to
> do it.
> </rant>
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>
> > I have the same issue on my computer too, although I installed Windows Live
> > OneCare. I have a firewall and antispam etc through that program so do I
> > still need my Windows firewall turned on too? Do I even need to use the
> > Security Center? I am confused about this issue.

navilyninc@gmail.com

Re: Security Center won't turn on
Another thing, you could do a restore to before you installed Norton
Symantec

On Feb 12, 12:40 pm, Brickner <Brick...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for the advise. It sounds like it may work, I will give it a shot
> during my lunch break, and will post my results.
>
> Thanks for the help
>

> "Jesper" wrote:
> > There are two questions in this thread:

> > 1. Help! I uninstalled Symantec's security suite and now I can't run Windows
> > Security Center.
> > This *should* not be happening with Vista. There are protections against
> > third-party vendors turning off Security Center. It is certainly possible to
> > turn them off, but that should be considered a hostile action. That's not at
> > all to say that Symantec wouldn't do so.

> > I _believe_ the reason you are having this problem is a flawed uninstaller
> > in Symantec's AV suite. Most likely they leave the Windows Security Center
> > service disabled after they uninstall. You need to re-enable the service for
> > Windows Security Center. This KB article tells you how to do it on XP:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919291. The instructions are very similar for
> > Vista, but you can type services.msc in the search dialog on the start menu
> > instead of in the Run menu.

> > 2. I have OneCare. Do I still need the Windows Firewall?
> > No. In fact, you can't use it. OneCare comes with its own firewall.

> > <rant>
> > I find the fact that OneCare comes with its own firewall confusing and a
> > poor use of resources. The built-in firewall is better, less intrusive, and
> > faster. It would be nice if Microsoft were to finally stop building the same
> > functionality in three different places just because they have the people to
> > do it.
> > </rant>

> > "Dan" wrote:

> > > I have the same issue on my computer too, although I installed Windows Live
> > > OneCare. I have a firewall and antispam etc through that program so do I
> > > still need my Windows firewall turned on too? Do I even need to use the
> > > Security Center? I am confused about this issue.- Hide quoted text -

=?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=

RE: Security Center won't turn on
That worked! Thanks for the post. I do not get the message anymore. So...I
have all of my Windows protection and am going through One Care. You say the
Windows firewall is better though? Without OneCare or Symantec etc you would
have no antivirus or antispyware protection, right?

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 2. I have OneCare. Do I still need the Windows Firewall?
> No. In fact, you can't use it. OneCare comes with its own firewall.
>
> <rant>
> I find the fact that OneCare comes with its own firewall confusing and a
> poor use of resources. The built-in firewall is better, less intrusive,
> and
> faster. It would be nice if Microsoft were to finally stop building the
> same
> functionality in three different places just because they have the people
> do it.
> </rant>

Can you say "silo"?

There seems to be little co-ordination between groups inside of Microsoft to
determine where best to apply resources. Some groups seem eager to add
features to justify their continued existence, without a clear and concise
vision of where they are taking the product. Others have the vision, but
don't appear to get the manpower needed to achieve it.

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/
23921 57th Ave SE | Blog: http://msmvps.com/alunj/

F### Microsoft

RE: Security Center won't turn on
I tried that run services.msc it crashd my computer /and my system restore
dont work either. I tried to down grade back to xp but it crashes before the
install loads windows. Am open to suggestions

"Jesper" wrote:

> There are two questions in this thread:
>
> 1. Help! I uninstalled Symantec's security suite and now I can't run Windows
> Security Center.
> This *should* not be happening with Vista. There are protections against
> third-party vendors turning off Security Center. It is certainly possible to
> turn them off, but that should be considered a hostile action. That's not at
> all to say that Symantec wouldn't do so.
>
> I _believe_ the reason you are having this problem is a flawed uninstaller
> in Symantec's AV suite. Most likely they leave the Windows Security Center
> service disabled after they uninstall. You need to re-enable the service for
> Windows Security Center. This KB article tells you how to do it on XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919291. The instructions are very similar for
> Vista, but you can type services.msc in the search dialog on the start menu
> instead of in the Run menu.
>
> 2. I have OneCare. Do I still need the Windows Firewall?
> No. In fact, you can't use it. OneCare comes with its own firewall.
>
> <rant>
> I find the fact that OneCare comes with its own firewall confusing and a
> poor use of resources. The built-in firewall is better, less intrusive, and
> faster. It would be nice if Microsoft were to finally stop building the same
> functionality in three different places just because they have the people to
> do it.
> </rant>
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>
> > I have the same issue on my computer too, although I installed Windows Live
> > OneCare. I have a firewall and antispam etc through that program so do I
> > still need my Windows firewall turned on too? Do I even need to use the
> > Security Center? I am confused about this issue.

Gordon

F### Microsoft wrote:
> I tried that run services.msc it crashd my computer /and my system restore
> dont work either. I tried to down grade back to xp but it crashes before the
> install loads windows. Am open to suggestions

Err how does your post relate to the other two?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level
Cody Jarrett

Re: Security Center won't turn on
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:38:01 -0800, F### Microsoft <F###
Microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried that run services.msc it crashd my computer /and my system restore
>dont work either. I tried to down grade back to xp but it crashes before the
>install loads windows. Am open to suggestions

Here's one that comes immediately to mind: change your moniker. Your
present one makes you look like the idiot that you probably are.