Help installing an antivirus

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

doxiegal

Help installing an antivirus
I am trying to install Avast which has worked great for me in the past on my
old computer with Windows XP. My new computer with Vista is a problem. It
does the first box asking to run or save and has the download timer on it.
But then nothing happens. It does not go to the next box installing it. I
tried adding the Avast website to my list of safe sites. Even turned off my
firewall trying to get the program to load. When that didn't work I tried the
McAfee antivirus. Same thing, it will not install an antivirus for me. I am
not very technical savy, but it should not be that difficult to download,
never had a problem on the xp. Anyone have any suggestions?
Malke

Re: Help installing an antivirus
doxiegal wrote:
> I am trying to install Avast which has worked great for me in the past on my
> old computer with Windows XP. My new computer with Vista is a problem. It
> does the first box asking to run or save and has the download timer on it.
> But then nothing happens. It does not go to the next box installing it. I
> tried adding the Avast website to my list of safe sites. Even turned off my
> firewall trying to get the program to load. When that didn't work I tried the
> McAfee antivirus. Same thing, it will not install an antivirus for me. I am
> not very technical savy, but it should not be that difficult to download,
> never had a problem on the xp. Anyone have any suggestions?

Make sure you are installing while logged into an account with
administrative privileges, not a standard user account. I use Avast on
my Vista box with no problems and have installed it numerous times on
clients' Vista machines. McAfee is really awful so you don't want to go
that way.

Another reason for the inability to install an antivirus is prior
infection. Is the computer clean? Be sure:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"doxiegal" <doxiegal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install Avast which has worked great for me in the past on
>my
> old computer with Windows XP. My new computer with Vista is a problem. It
> does the first box asking to run or save and has the download timer on it.
> But then nothing happens. It does not go to the next box installing it. I
> tried adding the Avast website to my list of safe sites. Even turned off
> my
> firewall trying to get the program to load. When that didn't work I tried
> the
> McAfee antivirus. Same thing, it will not install an antivirus for me. I
> am
> not very technical savy, but it should not be that difficult to download,
> never had a problem on the xp. Anyone have any suggestions?

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

doxiegal

RE: Help installing an antivirus
So far no luck. I have tried hitting the save button and it acts like it is
downloading it but then when it completes I can't find it on my computer. Not
in my downloads, not in my recent changes, not by using the search. I have
tried installing it straight, saving it to install later, I have added avast
to my safe list, I have tried temporarily turning off the firewall. I can't
install it in safe mode because after I "download" it I can go into safe mode
but its no where to be found again. I never knew a computer could come from
the factory with malware or a virus on it. It will not let me install avast,
or any other firewall despite the fact that it keeps telling me that I need
to install one. I am starting to hate vista. It looks like I will have no
choice but to take it some place to be cleaned.