Mcafee VirusScan problems

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?eWVzZGVhcg==?=

Mcafee VirusScan problems
my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have downloaded &
installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with my
mcafee .
do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to offer
JimR

Re: Mcafee VirusScan problems
"yesdear" <yesdear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6FC4262-4F24-4A9F-B583-A9FC2F9E507D@microsoft.com...
> my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have
> downloaded &
> installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with
> my
> mcafee .
> do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to
> offer

Yes, you absolutely need to have antivirus software. If McAfee is causing
issues there are many other antivirus products available for Vista, both
free and commercial.

--
Jim

Super Play

Re: Mcafee VirusScan problems
We are using Mcaffee VirsuScan Enterprise Version 8.5.0i and this works on
our Vista Clients.

"JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote in message
> "yesdear" <yesdear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6FC4262-4F24-4A9F-B583-A9FC2F9E507D@microsoft.com...
>> my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have
>> downloaded &
>> installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with
>> my
>> mcafee .
>> do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to
>> offer

> Yes, you absolutely need to have antivirus software. If McAfee is causing
> issues there are many other antivirus products available for Vista, both
> free and commercial.
>
> --
> Jim

=?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFN0ZWluaGF1c2Vy?=

RE: Mcafee VirusScan problems
If you try NOD32 and realize how much processor load McAfee uses, well you
will never go back. It's totally configurable and you may not be comfortable
with it if you just want to install and go but it does pass the V100 test
which none of the free ones do.
--
Sam

"yesdear" wrote:

> my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have downloaded &
> installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with my
> mcafee .
> do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to offer

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Mcafee VirusScan problems
Email them. I had an older version that didn't work at all and 5 months left
on the year for it. They let me have the newest version free for that length
of time.

"yesdear" <yesdear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6FC4262-4F24-4A9F-B583-A9FC2F9E507D@microsoft.com...
> my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have
> downloaded &
> installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with
> my
> mcafee .
> do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to
> offer

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Mcafee VirusScan problems
Unfortunately it isn't as good as Mcafee Virusscan though which is a bit of
a problem. I have had NOD32 infected systems I have had to fix quite a bit
by running Mcafee over them.

Unfortunate but true.

BTW, your Mcafee does slow things down out of the box but if you have a clue
you can fix that in the Mcafee options. Dead easy to do.

Also, if you want to speed the system up generally, get rid of indexing.
Makes a large difference.

"Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:94B2CDD0-DDCB-4D13-B45A-703C05221045@microsoft.com...
> If you try NOD32 and realize how much processor load McAfee uses, well you
> will never go back. It's totally configurable and you may not be
> comfortable
> with it if you just want to install and go but it does pass the V100 test
> which none of the free ones do.
> --
> Sam
>

> "yesdear" wrote:
>
>> my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have
>> downloaded &
>> installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with
>> my
>> mcafee .
>> do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to
>> offer

=?Utf-8?B?U2FtIFN0ZWluaGF1c2Vy?=

Re: Mcafee VirusScan problems
What options? I have VirusScan 11 Plus.
--
Sam

"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:

> Unfortunately it isn't as good as Mcafee Virusscan though which is a bit of
> a problem. I have had NOD32 infected systems I have had to fix quite a bit
> by running Mcafee over them.
>
> Unfortunate but true.
>
> BTW, your Mcafee does slow things down out of the box but if you have a clue
> you can fix that in the Mcafee options. Dead easy to do.
>
> Also, if you want to speed the system up generally, get rid of indexing.
> Makes a large difference.
>
> "Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:94B2CDD0-DDCB-4D13-B45A-703C05221045@microsoft.com...
> > If you try NOD32 and realize how much processor load McAfee uses, well you
> > will never go back. It's totally configurable and you may not be
> > comfortable
> > with it if you just want to install and go but it does pass the V100 test
> > which none of the free ones do.
> > --
> > Sam
> >

> > "yesdear" wrote:
> >
> >> my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have
> >> downloaded &
> >> installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with
> >> my
> >> mcafee .
> >> do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to
> >> offer

same thing happened here

RE: Mcafee VirusScan problems
On your 8.5i is disable on access scan from the task bar menu graked out?

"yesdear" wrote:

> my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have downloaded &
> installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with my
> mcafee .
> do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to offer

same thing happened here

Re: Mcafee VirusScan problems
On your 8.5i is the disable on access scan option from the task bar menu
grayed out?

"Super Play" wrote:

> We are using Mcaffee VirsuScan Enterprise Version 8.5.0i and this works on
> our Vista Clients.
>

> "JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote in message
> > "yesdear" <yesdear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news6FC4262-4F24-4A9F-B583-A9FC2F9E507D@microsoft.com...
> >> my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have
> >> downloaded &
> >> installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with
> >> my
> >> mcafee .
> >> do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to
> >> offer

> > Yes, you absolutely need to have antivirus software. If McAfee is causing
> > issues there are many other antivirus products available for Vista, both
> > free and commercial.
> >
> > --
> > Jim

Pflueger

Re: Mcafee VirusScan problems

"same thing happened here" <samethinghappenedhere@discussions.microsoft.com >
wrote in message news:0A243101-EB6E-49B4-BB43-63CC83946EDB@microsoft.com...
> On your 8.5i is disable on access scan from the task bar menu graked out?
>
> "yesdear" wrote:
>
> > my Vista works good until i install my mcafee virusscan , i have

downloaded &
> > installed there vista update , but vista does not seem to get along with

my
> > mcafee .
> > do we even need to run a antivirus with all the security vista has to

offer

You absolutely need an anti-virus application plus IMO a few other security
apps (spywareblaster, spybot, Spyware Terminator, etc.).

I used Mcafee products for a long time once until I found out it was causing
many problems and had installed many many unwanted files all over the place
on my PC. I totally wiped Mcafee from my system, then ever since I have
used AVGfree and have never had any serious issues in many years (it's free
too).

Pflu