reg change denied

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

pdw

reg change denied
I'm trying to get my Zen V+ mp3 player to work in Vista. According to
Creative's KB, I need to allow the Everyone group in (lm-sys-cur ctrl
set-usb) to have full permissions on the USB key. However, when I try to
make the change, Vista gives me an Access Denied error. I am running under
Administrator account.

Jimmy Brush

Re: reg change denied
Hello,

I would try editing the registry key from a "system" regedit. It is easier
than having to modify security permissions on system settings and then
trying to remember what they were to begin with to change them back.

- Download psexec.exe from here:
- Extract psexec.exe
- Open a command prompt "as administrator" (right-click, click run as
administrator)
- change to the location of psexec.exe
- Execute the following command

psexec -s -i regedit.exe

This will open a regedit running as system on your desktop, which should
have access rights to the registry.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"pdw" <pdwight1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get my Zen V+ mp3 player to work in Vista. According to
> Creative's KB, I need to allow the Everyone group in (lm-sys-cur ctrl
> set-usb) to have full permissions on the USB key. However, when I try to
> make the change, Vista gives me an Access Denied error. I am running under
> Administrator account.

pdw

Re: reg change denied
Thanks, Jimmy.
Interesting that even tho I'm logged on with admin privileges, it still
required your suggestion to make the change.
Vista is definitely going to take some getting used to and I dread the day
we (meaning the I/S staff) have to start rolling it out to the users.
"Jimmy Brush" <jb@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would try editing the registry key from a "system" regedit. It is easier
> than having to modify security permissions on system settings and then
> trying to remember what they were to begin with to change them back.
>
> - Download psexec.exe from here:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897553.aspx
> - Extract psexec.exe
> - Open a command prompt "as administrator" (right-click, click run as
> administrator)
> - change to the location of psexec.exe
> - Execute the following command
>
> psexec -s -i regedit.exe
>
> This will open a regedit running as system on your desktop, which should
> have access rights to the registry.
>
> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "pdw" <pdwight1@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get my Zen V+ mp3 player to work in Vista. According to
>> Creative's KB, I need to allow the Everyone group in (lm-sys-cur ctrl
>> set-usb) to have full permissions on the USB key. However, when I try to
>> make the change, Vista gives me an Access Denied error. I am running
>> under Administrator account.

Jimmy Brush

Re: reg change denied
I'm sure you could have made the change OK from your admin account, but this
can sometimes involve repeatedly taking ownership of a key, refreshing,
taking ownership of the subkeys, etc, and then changing permissions on
everything. I've found the permissions editor in regedit seems to be lacking
in some respects compared to the one in explorer.

--

> Thanks, Jimmy.
> Interesting that even tho I'm logged on with admin privileges, it still
> required your suggestion to make the change.
> Vista is definitely going to take some getting used to and I dread the day
> we (meaning the I/S staff) have to start rolling it out to the users.
> "Jimmy Brush" <jb@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would try editing the registry key from a "system" regedit. It is
>> easier than having to modify security permissions on system settings and
>> then trying to remember what they were to begin with to change them back.
>>
>> - Download psexec.exe from here:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897553.aspx
>> - Extract psexec.exe
>> - Open a command prompt "as administrator" (right-click, click run as
>> administrator)
>> - change to the location of psexec.exe
>> - Execute the following command
>>
>> psexec -s -i regedit.exe
>>
>> This will open a regedit running as system on your desktop, which should
>> have access rights to the registry.
>>
>> --
>> - JB
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "pdw" <pdwight1@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to get my Zen V+ mp3 player to work in Vista. According to
>>> Creative's KB, I need to allow the Everyone group in (lm-sys-cur ctrl
>>> set-usb) to have full permissions on the USB key. However, when I try
>>> to make the change, Vista gives me an Access Denied error. I am running
>>> under Administrator account.

staicomp

Re: reg change denied
The registry cleaner of the update of jv16 Powertools 2009 wasn`t able to
delete some items after starting windows vista 32 in the safe mode and
starting jv16 as an administrator.This was the resolution.
Thank You.