reinstall defender

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?YXR0aWtz?=

reinstall defender
hello,

i uninstalled windows defender from my vista business, i tried reinstalling
it but it got the message that it's part of vista and hence i can not install
it, tried looking for a repair but couldn't find anything.

any ideas?
Josh Phillips

Re: reinstall defender
How did you uninstall it?

Have you looked into OCSetup, if it is an ospackage you should be able to
use this to add features.

josh
"attiks" <attiks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i uninstalled windows defender from my vista business, i tried
> reinstalling
> it but it got the message that it's part of vista and hence i can not
> install
> it, tried looking for a repair but couldn't find anything.
>
> any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?YXR0aWtz?=

Re: reinstall defender
Josh,

I did the uninstall using add/remove programs

I tried running ocsetup "defender" and ocsetup "windows defender" but no luck

"Josh Phillips" wrote:

> How did you uninstall it?
>
> Have you looked into OCSetup, if it is an ospackage you should be able to
> use this to add features.
>

> josh
> "attiks" <attiks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello,
> >
> > i uninstalled windows defender from my vista business, i tried
> > reinstalling
> > it but it got the message that it's part of vista and hence i can not
> > install
> > it, tried looking for a repair but couldn't find anything.
> >
> > any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

RE: reinstall defender
I did the exact same thing, but am not able to re-install it. I tried to
download it again from Microsoft, but when you try to install it, it stops
and says that because Windows if part of VISTA you do not need to download
it...

"attiks" wrote:

> hello,
>
> i uninstalled windows defender from my vista business, i tried reinstalling
> it but it got the message that it's part of vista and hence i can not install
> it, tried looking for a repair but couldn't find anything.
>
> any ideas?

The Fallen

Re: reinstall defender
> Josh,
>
> I did the uninstall using add/remove programs
>
> I tried running ocsetup "defender" and ocsetup "windows defender" but no
> luck

To restore defender I had to reinstall Vista:/ I wasnt able to install it in
any other way.

The Fallen One

=?Utf-8?B?cmFlYmdpYg==?=

RE: reinstall defender
Guys,

I had a friendly "MS Tech at India" remove it as he tried to help fix
another problem and left it uninstalled. I would like to know how to
re-installed it.

Appreciate some advice....

"Mike" wrote:

> I did the exact same thing, but am not able to re-install it. I tried to
> download it again from Microsoft, but when you try to install it, it stops
> and says that because Windows if part of VISTA you do not need to download
> it...
>
> "attiks" wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > i uninstalled windows defender from my vista business, i tried reinstalling
> > it but it got the message that it's part of vista and hence i can not install
> > it, tried looking for a repair but couldn't find anything.
> >
> > any ideas?

BobC

Re: reinstall defender

"raebgib" <raebgib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> I had a friendly "MS Tech at India" remove it as he tried to help fix
> another problem and left it uninstalled. I would like to know how to
> re-installed it.
>
> Appreciate some advice....

try this:
Go to control panel,administrative tools,then services.find "windows
defender" ,then click and "start the service"
regards

>> I did the exact same thing, but am not able to re-install it. I tried to
>> download it again from Microsoft, but when you try to install it, it
>> stops
>> and says that because Windows if part of VISTA you do not need to
>> download
>> it...
>>
>> "attiks" wrote:
>>
>> > hello,
>> >
>> > i uninstalled windows defender from my vista business, i tried
>> > reinstalling
>> > it but it got the message that it's part of vista and hence i can not
>> > install
>> > it, tried looking for a repair but couldn't find anything.
>> >
>> > any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?cmFlYmdpYg==?=

Re: reinstall defender
BobC

It did not work. There were no services with this name. I also tried Josh
method - no luck. I downloaded the file, but Vista installer blocks it as it
should be built. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

"BobC" wrote:

> "raebgib" <raebgib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Guys,
> >
> > I had a friendly "MS Tech at India" remove it as he tried to help fix
> > another problem and left it uninstalled. I would like to know how to
> > re-installed it.
> >
> > Appreciate some advice....
> >

> try this:
> Go to control panel,administrative tools,then services.find "windows
> defender" ,then click and "start the service"
> regards
> >
> >> I did the exact same thing, but am not able to re-install it. I tried to
> >> download it again from Microsoft, but when you try to install it, it
> >> stops
> >> and says that because Windows if part of VISTA you do not need to
> >> download
> >> it...

erobishaw@getintheword.com

Re: reinstall defender
I've got the same issue:

XP Pro upgraded to Vista Business.
Had problems with Defender.
Uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs
Cannot Reinstall Defender as the Setup program says "Vista has
Defender built in, you do not need to run this" or something like
that.
Any ideas out there?

On Feb 2, 10:36 pm, raebgib <raeb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> BobC
>
> It did not work. There were no services with this name. I also tried Josh
> method - no luck. I downloaded the file, butVistainstaller blocks it as it
> should be built. Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> "BobC" wrote:
>
> > "raebgib" <raeb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Guys,

> > > I had a friendly "MS Tech at India" remove it as he tried to help fix
> > > another problem and left it uninstalled. I would like to know how to
> > > re-installed it.

> > > Appreciate some advice....

> > try this:
> > Go to control panel,administrative tools,then services.find "windows
> >defender" ,then click and "start the service"
> > regards

BobC

Re: reinstall defender

<erobishaw@getintheword.com> wrote in message
news:1170545833.955839.146930@s48g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...
> I've got the same issue:
>
> XP Pro upgraded to Vista Business.
> Had problems with Defender.
> Uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs
> Cannot Reinstall Defender as the Setup program says "Vista has
> Defender built in, you do not need to run this" or something like
> that.
> Any ideas out there?
>

> On Feb 2, 10:36 pm, raebgib <raeb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> BobC
>>
>> It did not work. There were no services with this name. I also tried Josh
>> method - no luck. I downloaded the file, butVistainstaller blocks it as
>> it
>> should be built. Any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>"it's" there,so go at the "services" another way:

Open a command prompt as administrator,
type servises.msc
You will see DEFENDER on the list of services.click and select "start".