Can I install a program with a standard user?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

codefuns

Can I install a program with a standard user?
Why I must install a program with a admin user since vista has a
folder&registry virtualization function?
What I want is just create several user accounts, one for games, one
for programs downloaded from internet, and maybe one for online
shopping. And each account installs its programs in its own domain and
run only in its domain. One account can't affect other account in any
case, just like a sandbox. So, when an account is infected by virus or
spyware, I don't need reinstall the system, but only need to delete
that account and create a new one.
Jimmy Brush

Re: Can I install a program with a standard user?
Hello,

This would be pretty cool. I would also like to see better support for
per-user installations and isolation in future versions of Windows.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"codefuns" <codefuns@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Why I must install a program with a admin user since vista has a
> folder&registry virtualization function?
> What I want is just create several user accounts, one for games, one
> for programs downloaded from internet, and maybe one for online
> shopping. And each account installs its programs in its own domain and
> run only in its domain. One account can't affect other account in any
> case, just like a sandbox. So, when an account is infected by virus or
> spyware, I don't need reinstall the system, but only need to delete
> that account and create a new one.

codefuns

Re: Can I install a program with a standard user?
If vista can do that, it can be say the most security system,
otherwise, it's just a little better than xp. Now the disk space is
not a big problem, why don't let user install the program they want on
their own domain? That is the real multi-user system.

On Dec 21, 7:53 pm, "Jimmy Brush" <j...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This would be pretty cool. I would also like to see better support for
> per-user installations and isolation in future versions of Windows.
>
> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "codefuns" <codef...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Why I must install a program with a admin user since vista has a
> > folder&registry virtualization function?
> > What I want is just create several user accounts, one for games, one
> > for programs downloaded from internet, and maybe one for online
> > shopping. And each account installs its programs in its own domain and
> > run only in its domain. One account can't affect other account in any
> > case, just like a sandbox. So, when an account is infected by virus or
> > spyware, I don't need reinstall the system, but only need to delete
> > that account and create a new one.

Jimmy Brush

Re: Can I install a program with a standard user?
You can do this on Vista, but the application you are installing must
support it, and it isn't exactly nice or secure. There is a lot of room for
improvement here on Microsoft's end.

--

> If vista can do that, it can be say the most security system,
> otherwise, it's just a little better than xp. Now the disk space is
> not a big problem, why don't let user install the program they want on
> their own domain? That is the real multi-user system.
>
> On Dec 21, 7:53 pm, "Jimmy Brush" <j...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This would be pretty cool. I would also like to see better support for
>> per-user installations and isolation in future versions of Windows.
>>
>> --
>> - JB
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "codefuns" <codef...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Why I must install a program with a admin user since vista has a
>> > folder&registry virtualization function?
>> > What I want is just create several user accounts, one for games, one
>> > for programs downloaded from internet, and maybe one for online
>> > shopping. And each account installs its programs in its own domain and
>> > run only in its domain. One account can't affect other account in any
>> > case, just like a sandbox. So, when an account is infected by virus or
>> > spyware, I don't need reinstall the system, but only need to delete
>> > that account and create a new one.

codefuns

Re: Can I install a program with a standard user?
Or does anyone know if there is a sandbox software? Maybe virtual
machine is a solution, but I will lost a lot of performance.