seek free online virus scan best suite for Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Alberta H K

seek free online virus scan best suite for Vista
Seeking free online virus scan, best suited and specifically for Vista.

Some popular online free scanners I have been at CA web site are very good.
But not for Vista.

Thank you.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: seek free online virus scan best suite for Vista
Windows OneCare:
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

Learn about Windows Live OneCare:
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-...fo/default.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Alberta H K" wrote:

Seeking free online virus scan, best suited and specifically for Vista.

Some popular online free scanners I have been at CA web site are very good.
But not for Vista.

Thank you.

Kayman

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:30:05 -0800, Alberta H K wrote:

> Seeking free online virus scan, best suited and specifically for Vista.

On-line scanners are the most unsafe and next to useless. Because by the
time you've started your infected Windows and connected to the Internet via
this infected code base, and start to look for scanning sites through
infected DNS, you are almost certain to have the malware perfectly
positioned to overrule your attempts to clean it. Also, you have to use IE
on very low security setting - ActiveX is required. Many users will lower
security in the Internet Zone to use the service and then forget to set the
Internet Zone back to highest possible security level, which is the only
way that IE should be set.
What happens if active malware is found? Don't expect that the on-line
scanner will do anything about it. Most of them are just just marketing
tools for selling you their products. Quite often, malware removal on the
NT based OS (Win 2K and XP) is far from easy. Sometimes a resident AV can
deal with it in Safe Mode.

David's Multi-AV is safer, because you don't have to be online to use it,
and it can be used in Safe Mode.

Download David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL:
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/siche...ning_tool.html

The web site is in German but the MULTI_AV scanning tool is in English.
Anyway, go down to near of the bottom of the page and you'll see a box
titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool". You'll see: Download
von www pctipp.ch and the link to download:
>> Multi_AV Scanning Tool 5.01 (679.88KB) -

Once you've clicked this link, it will bring to:
http://www.pctipp.ch/index.cfm?pid=1411&pk=28470.

You will have to wait for a few seconds or so and the 'Download file'
window should appear - just follow the prompts to download Multi_AV.exe

If however the 'Download file' window does not appear don't panic, don't
click, don't do anything, just look for:
Der Download started in wenigen Sekunden automatisch.
Fall nicht, klicken Sie bitte -hier-.

Translated to English:
The download process is going to start in a few seconds.
If not, click -here-.

This should be pretty self-explanatory.

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
Ignore the links displayed within this site as they are not valid anymore
and have not yet been updated to current status.
Alberta H K

Re: seek free online virus scan best suite for Vista
This oneCare is not free. Its just 30 days free trail, then fee. Its not
like TrendMicro's House call we can use free online everyday.

> Windows OneCare:
> http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm
>
> Learn about Windows Live OneCare:
> http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-...fo/default.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Alberta H K" wrote:
>
> Seeking free online virus scan, best suited and specifically for Vista.
>
> Some popular online free scanners I have been at CA web site are very
> good.
> But not for Vista.
>
> Thank you.

Alberta H K

Re: seek free online virus scan best suite for Vista
I can see you post this German AV everywhere.
But, NO Vista.

"Kayman" <kaymanNoSpam@operamail.com> wrote in message
news:113485fxvwdka$.1fvtuxgqn974n$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:30:05 -0800, Alberta H K wrote:
>
>> Seeking free online virus scan, best suited and specifically for Vista.

> On-line scanners are the most unsafe and next to useless. Because by the
> time you've started your infected Windows and connected to the Internet
> via
> this infected code base, and start to look for scanning sites through
> infected DNS, you are almost certain to have the malware perfectly
> positioned to overrule your attempts to clean it. Also, you have to use IE
> on very low security setting - ActiveX is required. Many users will lower
> security in the Internet Zone to use the service and then forget to set
> the
> Internet Zone back to highest possible security level, which is the only
> way that IE should be set.
> What happens if active malware is found? Don't expect that the on-line
> scanner will do anything about it. Most of them are just just marketing
> tools for selling you their products. Quite often, malware removal on the
> NT based OS (Win 2K and XP) is far from easy. Sometimes a resident AV can
> deal with it in Safe Mode.
>
> David's Multi-AV is safer, because you don't have to be online to use it,
> and it can be used in Safe Mode.
>
> Download David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL:
> http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/siche...ning_tool.html
>
> The web site is in German but the MULTI_AV scanning tool is in English.
> Anyway, go down to near of the bottom of the page and you'll see a box
> titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool". You'll see: Download
> von www pctipp.ch and the link to download:
>>> Multi_AV Scanning Tool 5.01 (679.88KB) -

> Once you've clicked this link, it will bring to:
> http://www.pctipp.ch/index.cfm?pid=1411&pk=28470.
>
> You will have to wait for a few seconds or so and the 'Download file'
> window should appear - just follow the prompts to download Multi_AV.exe
>
> If however the 'Download file' window does not appear don't panic, don't
> click, don't do anything, just look for:
> Der Download started in wenigen Sekunden automatisch.
> Fall nicht, klicken Sie bitte -hier-.
>
> Translated to English:
> The download process is going to start in a few seconds.
> If not, click -here-.
>
> This should be pretty self-explanatory.
>
> Additional Instructions:
> http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
> Ignore the links displayed within this site as they are not valid anymore
> and have not yet been updated to current status.

Alberta H K

Re: seek free online virus scan best suite for Vista
I can see you post this German AV everywhere.
But this version 5.01, NO Vista.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:52:22 -0800, Alberta H K wrote:

> I can see you post this German AV everywhere.
> But this version 5.01, NO Vista.

"If you are using Vista, you must run elevated."
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV
--
Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
(Benjamin Franklin)
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Alberta H K wrote:
> Seeking free online virus scan, best suited and specifically for Vista.
>
> Some popular online free scanners I have been at CA web site are very
> good. But not for Vista.
>
> Thank you.

Counting on scanners is a big mistake. You are closing the barn door
after the horses have left.....

There are so many decent, free AV softwares out there, why take the risk??

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Uri

RE: seek free online virus scan best suite for Vista
Hi ,

try onecare.live.com

but why use an online safety scan ?

one of the best anti virus and protection software programs around is avast
, especially the -pro- www.avast.com

an other good simple basic tool is the new advanced defender , read
essentials from microsoft
http://microsoft-security-essentials.en.softonic.com/

have a nice day