Hardening Vista Firewall ?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

SD_JH843

Hardening Vista Firewall ?
Looks like Microsoft got the firewall right, I want to harden the settings.
Do
we know of any tutorials or web forums that have decent information specific
to Vista..

Thanks
SD

=?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=

RE: Hardening Vista Firewall ?

Help is on your Desktop.

Respectfully, read Vista's Help Files for obtaining more assistance and
knowledge than you could ever imagine (learned the hard method).

--
Firewall

"SD_JH843" wrote:

> Looks like Microsoft got the firewall right, I want to harden the settings.
> Do
> we know of any tutorials or web forums that have decent information specific
> to Vista..
>
> Thanks
> SD

Robert Moir

SD_JH843 wrote:
> Looks like Microsoft got the firewall right, I want to harden the
> settings. Do
> we know of any tutorials or web forums that have decent information
> specific to Vista..

"Harden" is one of those nice words that sounds good in general terms but
doesn't actually mean much in terms of getting things done. I second
FireWall2's suggestion to peruse the help files, as they're fairly good, but
beyond that you'll get better help here if you specify what it is you are
trying to do, exactly.

SD_JH843

Re: Hardening Vista Firewall ?
I've gone through the help file but find it so so. I simply want to rid the system
of unecessary communication. I probably just need to dive in and play with settings,
I got good at that with Tiny under XP.. I thought that someone may have a site
that goes through tightening up the firewall. I'm sure the default config isn't really
that good due to the fact that MS support doesn't want to many calls..

SD

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%236pFFoqNHHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> SD_JH843 wrote:
>> Looks like Microsoft got the firewall right, I want to harden the
>> settings. Do
>> we know of any tutorials or web forums that have decent information
>> specific to Vista..

> "Harden" is one of those nice words that sounds good in general terms but
> doesn't actually mean much in terms of getting things done. I second
> FireWall2's suggestion to peruse the help files, as they're fairly good, but
> beyond that you'll get better help here if you specify what it is you are
> trying to do, exactly.

Robert Moir

On 2007-01-14 05:23:11 +0000, "SD_JH843" <SD_JH843@NotForUseNet.Com> said:

> I've gone through the help file but find it so so. I simply want to rid
> the system
> of unecessary communication. I probably just need to dive in and play
> with settings,
> I got good at that with Tiny under XP.. I thought that someone may have a site
> that goes through tightening up the firewall. I'm sure the default
> config isn't really
> that good due to the fact that MS support doesn't want to many calls..

Actually, the default settings and so-on in the Windows firewall are
pretty good. Out of the box it's designed to keep the system locked
down to external intrustions and only allow internal stuff to create
exceptions as you allow (note that running an installer as admin and
clicking 'OK' on the UAC prompt is deemed to be allowing it to do
whatever it wants to your system).

As you say, MS don't want too many calls, nor bad press about their new
baby. They were getting far more bad press about previous systems being
too open and not stopping malware than they were about the firewall
being too complex. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't look, learn, figure
stuff out and tweak it to your heart's desire, of course you should.
But there isn't any immediate need to rush and do it right now or else
your computer is in trouble, if you see what I mean.

--
Robert Moir

www.rhymeswithgeek.com

SD_JH843

Re: Hardening Vista Firewall ?
Thanks Robert, it's a much improved firewall. I guess I'll dive in and see
what happens..

Thanks
SD