Can I turn off userid/password login screen for workgroup computers?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

MrMikeH

Can I turn off userid/password login screen for workgroup computers?
I have a home LAN and am running Vista RTM on one of the boxes. Under XP,
there was no authentication required when going between computers for file
or printer sharing. Now under Vista, it is asking for a userid and password
every time one of the workgroup computers tries to get to the Vista machine.
I don't want computers on my LAN to have to enter a userid and password, so
is there anyway to turn that off?

Thanks,
--
Mike

Serdar KALIN

Re: Can I turn off userid/password login screen for workgroup computers?
hi mike

Click Control Panel\User Accounts and then click "turn user accaunt control
on or of"

i hope solved your problem

--
Thanx
Serdar KALIN
"MrMikeH" <MrMikeH@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a home LAN and am running Vista RTM on one of the boxes. Under XP,
>there was no authentication required when going between computers for file
>or printer sharing. Now under Vista, it is asking for a userid and password
>every time one of the workgroup computers tries to get to the Vista
>machine. I don't want computers on my LAN to have to enter a userid and
>password, so is there anyway to turn that off?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Mike

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: Can I turn off userid/password login screen for workgroup comp
No, this almost certainly is unrelated to UAC. The only impact UAC has on
remote access scenarios is if you are trying to access the files using an
account that is a local admin on the Vista box and the ACL on the file has
only Administrators in it. Local accounts get a filtered token when used
remotely to a Vista machine. If that is your case you can disable that
functionality without turning off UAC and disabling seven years of progress
in security.

How did you configure file sharing on the Vista machine? The reason you did
not get a prompt going from XP to XP was that you had an account with a
matching username and password on both computers. I would suspect that you
are logged on to the XP machines as "Administrator". That account is disabled
on Vista. Therefore, when your XP machine says "I'm the Administrator" Vista
says "great, but I don't know of any 'Administrator'".

To solve this problem you need to either create matching accounts and
matching passwords on all your computers, or create an account on the Vista
machine that has a password, and then save that user name and password on the
XP machines. Then you will not get asked for authentication again.