EFS with Smartcard

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Lukas Dvorak

EFS with Smartcard
hello,

does anybody know about a link to a detailed technical description of the
EFS smartcard support?

Certainly, this could work by directly using the s/c key, but as I suppose,
it would be quite slow, so that I suppose, there is a more complex solution
to the problem, isn't it?

Luk.

=?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=

RE: EFS with Smartcard

Have you tried using Vista's Help and Support Files?

If not, there you will locate more knowledge regarding Vista than you could
ever imagine (learned the hard method).
--
Firewall

"Lukas Dvorak" wrote:

> hello,
>
> does anybody know about a link to a detailed technical description of the
> EFS smartcard support?
>
> Certainly, this could work by directly using the s/c key, but as I suppose,
> it would be quite slow, so that I suppose, there is a more complex solution
> to the problem, isn't it?
>

> Luk.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0IEhvZmZlciBbTVNGVF0=?=

RE: EFS with Smartcard
EFS in Vista does work directly with a smart card. The performance of
encryption and decryption operations is very close to what it is for software
certificates.

Vista's Help and Support has a page titled "Use a smart card for file
encryption" which gives the basics for how to set your EFS key to a
certificate on your smart card and also how to create an EFS certificate on
your smart card. The creation process can take 1-2 minutes because of the
time needed for key generation. Additional information about EFS in Vista is
at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...ata.mspx#EGJAC.

Thanks.
Pat

"Lukas Dvorak" wrote:

> hello,
>
> does anybody know about a link to a detailed technical description of the
> EFS smartcard support?
>
> Certainly, this could work by directly using the s/c key, but as I suppose,
> it would be quite slow, so that I suppose, there is a more complex solution
> to the problem, isn't it?
>

> Luk.

sflow is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: EFS with Smartcard
Although this seems to be an old thread, I'd like to suggest a link for those who chance upon this post and that are interested in EFS with smart card support;

IPSURE | Hands-On | EFS (Encrypting File System) and Using Smart Cards with EFS

Thanks