CreateFileMapping questions

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

CharlesT

CreateFileMapping questions
The question is this (in two parts):

The CreateFileMapping API call, when used to create a globally named object,
would fail when executed from non-elevated processes in early versions of
Vista. At that time the Microsoft recommendation was to call
CreateFileMapping from an NT service when using it to great global objects,
instead of from an application. In Vista RTM, it is now the case that this
use of CreateFileMapping will succeed when run from a non-elevated process
in Vista. The questions are:

1.. Will Microsoft continue to support CreateFileMapping creating globally
named objects from non-elevated processes in Vista, including all future
updates of Vista?
2.. Is it Microsoft's recommendation still to perform a CreateFileMapping
call (to create globally named objects) from an NT service rather than an
application? If so, why?"
For further background here are two relevant posts from Microsoft discussion
forums:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...68892&SiteID=1 - this
one mentions the solution of moving CreateFileMapping to an NT service

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...27551&SiteID=1

Regards, Charles

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: CreateFileMapping questions
I thought the Global\ prefix was ignored unless the object was created within
a terminal services session. How did you test it?

The documentation (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa366537.aspx)
does not mention Vista, but it does confirm that the right to create a global
object is governed by the SeCreateGlobalPrivilege, which low admins and
ordinary users do not have. I don't see why that has been changed. It has
been that way for a long time.