"Unclassified software" warning in event viewer

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?VW5jbGUgS28=?=

"Unclassified software" warning in event viewer
Hi all,

After installation of my product Vista creates a Warning in the Event Viewer
saying that I should check the software and decide if I trust it or not.
Looked through the article "Keep Windows Vista Secure with Windows Defender"
at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...sdefender.mspx, and
it seems my software is just not in the Defender's "base", so it considers my
product as some kind of MALware, SPYware, but not as SOFTware Of course, I
trust my product, but it is not good if such Warnings will appear on the
user's side. So, could you help me with such question: how to appear in the
Defender's "base" in order it considered my product as non-danderous?

TIA.
=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: "Unclassified software" warning in event viewer
Defender considers your software unclassified. That is not the same as
considering it malware. It will only consider it as such if it is reported to
be, and Microsoft takes positive action to make it so.

"Uncle Ko" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After installation of my product Vista creates a Warning in the Event Viewer
> saying that I should check the software and decide if I trust it or not.
> Looked through the article "Keep Windows Vista Secure with Windows Defender"
> at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...sdefender.mspx, and
> it seems my software is just not in the Defender's "base", so it considers my
> product as some kind of MALware, SPYware, but not as SOFTware Of course, I
> trust my product, but it is not good if such Warnings will appear on the
> user's side. So, could you help me with such question: how to appear in the
> Defender's "base" in order it considered my product as non-danderous?
>
> TIA.

=?Utf-8?B?VW5jbGUgS28=?=

RE: "Unclassified software" warning in event viewer
Ok, what actions should I do in order Microsoft considered my software as
classified?

"Jesper" wrote:

> Defender considers your software unclassified. That is not the same as
> considering it malware. It will only consider it as such if it is reported to
> be, and Microsoft takes positive action to make it so.
>
> "Uncle Ko" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After installation of my product Vista creates a Warning in the Event Viewer
> > saying that I should check the software and decide if I trust it or not.
> > Looked through the article "Keep Windows Vista Secure with Windows Defender"
> > at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...sdefender.mspx, and
> > it seems my software is just not in the Defender's "base", so it considers my
> > product as some kind of MALware, SPYware, but not as SOFTware Of course, I
> > trust my product, but it is not good if such Warnings will appear on the
> > user's side. So, could you help me with such question: how to appear in the
> > Defender's "base" in order it considered my product as non-danderous?
> >
> > TIA.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: "Unclassified software" warning in event viewer
I'm not sure there is a sure-fire way to make that happen. Defender uses
community input to decide what is safe and what is not. I suppose if you run
your software often enough, click "yes" every time, and are a member of the
spynet community they would eventually get the picture. You can learn more
about how it all works at
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...v/default.mspx.

"Uncle Ko" wrote:

> Ok, what actions should I do in order Microsoft considered my software as
> classified?
>
> "Jesper" wrote:
>
> > Defender considers your software unclassified. That is not the same as
> > considering it malware. It will only consider it as such if it is reported to
> > be, and Microsoft takes positive action to make it so.
> >
> > "Uncle Ko" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After installation of my product Vista creates a Warning in the Event Viewer
> > > saying that I should check the software and decide if I trust it or not.
> > > Looked through the article "Keep Windows Vista Secure with Windows Defender"
> > > at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...sdefender.mspx, and
> > > it seems my software is just not in the Defender's "base", so it considers my
> > > product as some kind of MALware, SPYware, but not as SOFTware Of course, I
> > > trust my product, but it is not good if such Warnings will appear on the
> > > user's side. So, could you help me with such question: how to appear in the
> > > Defender's "base" in order it considered my product as non-danderous?
> > >
> > > TIA.

=?Utf-8?B?VW5jbGUgS28=?=

RE: "Unclassified software" warning in event viewer
Thanks, the link was very helpful!

"Jesper" wrote:

> I'm not sure there is a sure-fire way to make that happen. Defender uses
> community input to decide what is safe and what is not. I suppose if you run
> your software often enough, click "yes" every time, and are a member of the
> spynet community they would eventually get the picture. You can learn more
> about how it all works at
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...v/default.mspx.
>
> "Uncle Ko" wrote:
>
> > Ok, what actions should I do in order Microsoft considered my software as
> > classified?
> >
> > "Jesper" wrote:
> >
> > > Defender considers your software unclassified. That is not the same as
> > > considering it malware. It will only consider it as such if it is reported to
> > > be, and Microsoft takes positive action to make it so.

old duck

RE: "Unclassified software" warning in event viewer
Hi The question is NEVER actually answered - 'HOW do I get programs
classified?' Can someone help or am I to be stuck with defender popup
windows forever???
--
Old Duck

"Uncle Ko" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After installation of my product Vista creates a Warning in the Event Viewer
> saying that I should check the software and decide if I trust it or not.
> Looked through the article "Keep Windows Vista Secure with Windows Defender"
> at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...sdefender.mspx, and
> it seems my software is just not in the Defender's "base", so it considers my
> product as some kind of MALware, SPYware, but not as SOFTware Of course, I
> trust my product, but it is not good if such Warnings will appear on the
> user's side. So, could you help me with such question: how to appear in the
> Defender's "base" in order it considered my product as non-danderous?
>
> TIA.

Jesper

RE: "Unclassified software" warning in event viewer
Click the Window button
Click "Help and Support"
In the search dialog type "SpyNet Community"

That will tell you. You join the SpyNet Community. Software is classified by
reports to the community.
---