Vista file permission problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

guyyardeni

Vista file permission problem
I'm trying to edit a file in a subfolder of 'Program Files' and get an
access denied error when trying to save. I'm logged in as a member of local
administrators group and effective permissions show that I have full
control.

What's going on?

Thx.

--
Guy Yardeni

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista file permission problem
first thing that comes to mind is
is the program currently running.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"guyyardeni" <guyyardeni@removethis.bfdmail.net> wrote in message news:ucO2oy6MHHA.4376@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
I'm trying to edit a file in a subfolder of 'Program Files' and get an
access denied error when trying to save. I'm logged in as a member of local
administrators group and effective permissions show that I have full
control.

What's going on?

Thx.

--
Guy Yardeni

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: Vista file permission problem
UAC is going on. Your token does not have Administrators in it, so you can't
edit files in Program Files without elevating first.

If you have to edit files in Program Files, do so from an elevated command
prompt.

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> first thing that comes to mind is
> is the program currently running.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "guyyardeni" <guyyardeni@removethis.bfdmail.net> wrote in message news:ucO2oy6MHHA.4376@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> I'm trying to edit a file in a subfolder of 'Program Files' and get an
> access denied error when trying to save. I'm logged in as a member of local
> administrators group and effective permissions show that I have full
> control.
>
> What's going on?
>
> Thx.
>
> --
> Guy Yardeni

BSchwarz

Jesper;108375 Wrote:
> UAC is going on. Your token does not have Administrators in it, so you
> can't
> edit files in Program Files without elevating first.
>
> If you have to edit files in Program Files, do so from an elevated
> command
> prompt.
>
> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>
> > first thing that comes to mind is
> > is the program currently running.
> >

> > mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
> >

> > "guyyardeni" <guyyardeni@removethis.bfdmail.net> wrote in message

> > I'm trying to edit a file in a subfolder of 'Program Files' and get

> an
> > access denied error when trying to save. I'm logged in as a member

> of local
> > administrators group and effective permissions show that I have

> full
> > control.
> >
> > What's going on?
> >
> > Thx.
> >
> > --
> > Guy Yardeni

He is logged on as an admin so UAC shouldn't be biting him. As was
suggested try running windows explorer as administrator.

--
BSchwarz

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: Vista file permission problem
Admins are also subject to UAC, and you cannot elevate Explorer to be a full
admin. It will always be limited as long as UAC is enabled.

"BSchwarz" wrote:

> Jesper;108375 Wrote:
> > UAC is going on. Your token does not have Administrators in it, so you
> > can't
> > edit files in Program Files without elevating first.
> >
> > If you have to edit files in Program Files, do so from an elevated
> > command
> > prompt.
> >
> > "mikeyhsd" wrote:
> >
> > > first thing that comes to mind is
> > > is the program currently running.
> > >

> > > mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
> > >

> > > "guyyardeni" <guyyardeni@removethis.bfdmail.net> wrote in message

> > > I'm trying to edit a file in a subfolder of 'Program Files' and get

> > an
> > > access denied error when trying to save. I'm logged in as a member

> > of local
> > > administrators group and effective permissions show that I have

> > full
> > > control.
> > >
> > > What's going on?
> > >
> > > Thx.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Guy Yardeni
> > >

> He is logged on as an admin so UAC shouldn't be biting him. As was
> suggested try running windows explorer as administrator.
>

> --
> BSchwarz

guyyardeni

Re: Vista file permission problem
Solved it. Turns out that Vista protects the Program Files directory so even
though I was listed as an administrator and the effective permissions looks
correct, I needed to take ownership of the files, give myself rights to them
and then it worked fine.

--
Guy Yardeni

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Admins are also subject to UAC, and you cannot elevate Explorer to be a
> full
> admin. It will always be limited as long as UAC is enabled.
>
> "BSchwarz" wrote:
>

>> Jesper;108375 Wrote:
>> > UAC is going on. Your token does not have Administrators in it, so you
>> > can't
>> > edit files in Program Files without elevating first.
>> >
>> > If you have to edit files in Program Files, do so from an elevated
>> > command
>> > prompt.

>> > an
>> > of local
>> > full

>> He is logged on as an admin so UAC shouldn't be biting him. As was
>> suggested try running windows explorer as administrator.
>>

>> --
>> BSchwarz

=?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgQnJ1c2g=?=

Re: Vista file permission problem
Hello,

As Jesper pointed out, any program that you do not elevate through a
"Windows needs your permission to continue" prompt does not get to use your
group membership into administrators [among other restrictions]; non-elevated
programs, therefore, will not be able to access files in ways that you only
have access to through your group membership as an administrator.

As you found out, changing the permissions on the resource to specifically
grant you access will allow non-administrative programs to access that
resource without prompting; however, it is important to note that this will
signifigantly reduce the effectiveness of the Windows Vista security
mechanisms when applied to system folders, such as program files.

- JB
Gerry Hickman

Jimmy Brush wrote:

> As you found out, changing the permissions on the resource to specifically
> grant you access will allow non-administrative programs to access that
> resource without prompting; however, it is important to note that this will
> signifigantly reduce the effectiveness of the Windows Vista security
> mechanisms when applied to system folders, such as program files.

It's also a bad strategy for anyone who has to work on hundreds of
computers, and computers they don't own. We need a simple way to do
these tasks without having to change the default permissions.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)