UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGhkdWx1dGg=?=

UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives.
My 2 SATA drives cannot be accessed with UAC turned on. They appear normal in
every way in Disk Management, I just cannot display the directory with UAC
on. They were originally setup using XP sp2.
Roscoe

Re: UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives.
I guess you should consider turning UAC off then if you want access to your
SATA drives.

"Smithduluth" <Smithduluth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 2 SATA drives cannot be accessed with UAC turned on. They appear normal
> in
> every way in Disk Management, I just cannot display the directory with UAC
> on. They were originally setup using XP sp2.

Kerry Brown

Re: UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives.
"Smithduluth" <Smithduluth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 2 SATA drives cannot be accessed with UAC turned on. They appear normal
> in
> every way in Disk Management, I just cannot display the directory with UAC
> on. They were originally setup using XP sp2.

What SATA controller are they hooked up to? Are they in a RAID array? Do you
have any other hard drives installed? Did you upgrade from XP or was it a
clean install? Do you have any utilities running that may be causing this?
Antivirus? Encryption? Disk utility? Disk imaging program?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Jimmy Brush

Re: UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives.
Is Windows installed on those drives? What error do you receive? Do you
receive the error when double-clicking on the drive or double-clicking on a
folder inside of the drive? Have you changed default security permissions on
the drives/folders in the past?

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

David A. Lessnau

Re: UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives.
Do they show up at all under Windows Explorer? If so, can you right-click
on them, select Properties | Security and see what "Group or user names" are
there and what permissions they have? Also, if it's possible, you could
consider going from there to the Advanced button and making sure the
Administrators and System have their (hopefully) Full permissions inherited
down through "This folder, subfolders and files." Ditto, I believe, for you
(whatever your profile name is).

"Smithduluth" <Smithduluth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 2 SATA drives cannot be accessed with UAC turned on. They appear normal
> in
> every way in Disk Management, I just cannot display the directory with UAC
> on. They were originally setup using XP sp2.

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGhkdWx1dGg=?=

Re: UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys; The problem was permissions on the 2
drives... SATA had nothing to do with it... I added the user "Everyone" with
read/execute/list permissions to both drives and that took care of it...
(Probably is not the best security, but a fix for now.) They both have
previous Vista beta installs on them which may have messed things up. I
obviously need to do more studying of Vista features....

"David A. Lessnau" wrote:

> Do they show up at all under Windows Explorer? If so, can you right-click
> on them, select Properties | Security and see what "Group or user names" are
> there and what permissions they have? Also, if it's possible, you could
> consider going from there to the Advanced button and making sure the
> Administrators and System have their (hopefully) Full permissions inherited
> down through "This folder, subfolders and files." Ditto, I believe, for you
> (whatever your profile name is).
>

> "Smithduluth" <Smithduluth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My 2 SATA drives cannot be accessed with UAC turned on. They appear normal
> > in
> > every way in Disk Management, I just cannot display the directory with UAC
> > on. They were originally setup using XP sp2.

David A. Lessnau

Re: UAC prevents access to my 2 SATA drives.
I had some weird permissions problems on the data on my external drive, too
(nothing as serious as yours was). If you're willing to take the time and
risk, you could copy everything from one of the drives to the other,
reformat the now-copied-drive in Vista, and then copy (not move --
apparently moving across partitions doesn't cause the files to inherit their
new home's permissions) those files back to the drive. The permissions
"ought" to be properly set. You could then do the same for the other drive.

Make sure you have backups 7 ways from Sunday if you do such a thing.