BIZZARE!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWQ=?=

BIZZARE!
I have Windows Vista Business edition. I am attempting to setup putty for
ssh access to computers at work. All other non-Vista computers on my network
can use it without issue. I have the same issue when the Vista machine is
connected directly to the internet so I have eliminated the router. Under
Vista I can ssh to some
computers (3 out of 8). I set up a simple web page on the machines I can’t
get to and under Vista I am able to view that page with IE7 but I can’t
access them with Firefox. I am able to ping and trace route to all those
servers and telnet
seems to work from the command line under Vista. Why is Vista blocking
certain ip’s
under certain applications.
Mike C.

Re: BIZZARE!
If you could give a detailed description of your network, maybe we could
help you out. However, it seems like it could be possible that when you
plugged the system to the public internet, the firewall profile has switched
to something more restrictive. If you go to start, run, and then wf.msc, you
can turn off the firewall.

If turning off the firewall does resolve it, find out what you need to
unblock so it doesn't happen again. if it doesn't resolve it, put a detailed
network layout here and maybe we can help you out.

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Vista Business edition. I am attempting to setup putty for
> ssh access to computers at work. All other non-Vista computers on my
> network
> can use it without issue. I have the same issue when the Vista machine is
> connected directly to the internet so I have eliminated the router. Under
> Vista I can ssh to some
> computers (3 out of 8). I set up a simple web page on the machines I can’t
> get to and under Vista I am able to view that page with IE7 but I can’t
> access them with Firefox. I am able to ping and trace route to all those
> servers and telnet
> seems to work from the command line under Vista. Why is Vista blocking
> certain ip’s
> under certain applications.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWQ=?=

Re: BIZZARE!
To test this theory I turned off the firewall and then
disabled the service. I also have disabled "windows defender." The OS is
doing something it shouldn't.

Network is just a basic home network. Four computers behind a netgear
router. All wired with a gigabit switch. My Linux box has no issue, neither
does my Media Center or WinXP Pro boxes. I have definitely narrowed it down
to Vista.