Does Vista need extra software for security?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Stan Kay

Does Vista need extra software for security?
Within a short while of adopting Windows XP Pro I experienced a series of
security issues (viruses, Trojans etc) and so quickly searched for Security
software. I eventually adopted Zone Alarm Security Suite and have used it
without problems for a few years.

Now to the point of this question. I moved to Windows Vista Ultimate on the
30th November 2006 and, perhaps luckily, have encountered no problems. So,
my question is:-

1.. with the built in extra security do I really need other software such
as Zone Alarm (current version does not work with Vista but a compatible
version is promised soon.
2.. If I do need extra security software can anyone please offer any
experience based suggestions?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kerry Brown

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
The built in firewall in Vista is more than adequate. You do need antivirus
software. You may need antispyware software.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Within a short while of adopting Windows XP Pro I experienced a series of
> security issues (viruses, Trojans etc) and so quickly searched for
> Security software. I eventually adopted Zone Alarm Security Suite and
> have used it without problems for a few years.
>
> Now to the point of this question. I moved to Windows Vista Ultimate on
> the 30th November 2006 and, perhaps luckily, have encountered no problems.
> So, my question is:-
>
> 1.. with the built in extra security do I really need other software such
> as Zone Alarm (current version does not work with Vista but a compatible
> version is promised soon.
> 2.. If I do need extra security software can anyone please offer any
> experience based suggestions?

Jeff

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
Stan,

Kerry is right-grab a good av thats Vista compatable;most are now.
I use Avast-it's free, and never have had any issues-no bugs(so far)
It's at www.avast.com
if ya want it-
The Home Edition is free

Jeff

"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Within a short while of adopting Windows XP Pro I experienced a series of
> security issues (viruses, Trojans etc) and so quickly searched for
> Security software. I eventually adopted Zone Alarm Security Suite and
> have used it without problems for a few years.
>
> Now to the point of this question. I moved to Windows Vista Ultimate on
> the 30th November 2006 and, perhaps luckily, have encountered no problems.
> So, my question is:-
>
> 1.. with the built in extra security do I really need other software such
> as Zone Alarm (current version does not work with Vista but a compatible
> version is promised soon.
> 2.. If I do need extra security software can anyone please offer any
> experience based suggestions?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
The windows Vista firewall is more than adequate. Of course you do need anti
virus cover and there are a few 'free' ones around, AVG anti virus
(www.free.grisoft.com) is one Avast (www.avast.com) is another.
Spyware/malware cover is catered for in Ultimate with the built in Windows
defender software.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Within a short while of adopting Windows XP Pro I experienced a series of
> security issues (viruses, Trojans etc) and so quickly searched for
> Security software. I eventually adopted Zone Alarm Security Suite and
> have used it without problems for a few years.
>
> Now to the point of this question. I moved to Windows Vista Ultimate on
> the 30th November 2006 and, perhaps luckily, have encountered no problems.
> So, my question is:-
>
> 1.. with the built in extra security do I really need other software such
> as Zone Alarm (current version does not work with Vista but a compatible
> version is promised soon.
> 2.. If I do need extra security software can anyone please offer any
> experience based suggestions?

Jeremy

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
I started using Zone Alarm a number of years ago, and have since stopped
using it. It actually modifies the stack, which I don't like. The built
in firewall should be more than adequate especially if you are behind a
router which I would recommend to anyone.

"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Within a short while of adopting Windows XP Pro I experienced a series of
> security issues (viruses, Trojans etc) and so quickly searched for
> Security software. I eventually adopted Zone Alarm Security Suite and
> have used it without problems for a few years.
>
> Now to the point of this question. I moved to Windows Vista Ultimate on
> the 30th November 2006 and, perhaps luckily, have encountered no problems.
> So, my question is:-
>
> 1.. with the built in extra security do I really need other software such
> as Zone Alarm (current version does not work with Vista but a compatible
> version is promised soon.
> 2.. If I do need extra security software can anyone please offer any
> experience based suggestions?

Stan Kay

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
Many thanks guys for very helpful feedback. It reinforces my own view that
all I really need with Vista is antivirus software.

"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Within a short while of adopting Windows XP Pro I experienced a series of
> security issues (viruses, Trojans etc) and so quickly searched for
> Security software. I eventually adopted Zone Alarm Security Suite and
> have used it without problems for a few years.
>
> Now to the point of this question. I moved to Windows Vista Ultimate on
> the 30th November 2006 and, perhaps luckily, have encountered no problems.
> So, my question is:-
>
> 1.. with the built in extra security do I really need other software such
> as Zone Alarm (current version does not work with Vista but a compatible
> version is promised soon.
> 2.. If I do need extra security software can anyone please offer any
> experience based suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
Hello Stan,

Are you using Vista's BitLocker and Vista's Encrypted File System (EFS) ?

Perhaps it's just me, because I practice very safe browing, but personally,
I'm not convinced third party anti-virus applications are really needed or
necessary while using BitLocker and EFS.

What could a hacker or virus attack if they try attacking an 256 Encrypted
Firewall? Maybe I'm over looking something, but don't think so.
--
Firewall

"Stan Kay" wrote:

> Many thanks guys for very helpful feedback. It reinforces my own view that
> all I really need with Vista is antivirus software.
>

> "Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Within a short while of adopting Windows XP Pro I experienced a series of
> > security issues (viruses, Trojans etc) and so quickly searched for
> > Security software. I eventually adopted Zone Alarm Security Suite and
> > have used it without problems for a few years.
> >
> > Now to the point of this question. I moved to Windows Vista Ultimate on
> > the 30th November 2006 and, perhaps luckily, have encountered no problems.
> > So, my question is:-
> >
> > 1.. with the built in extra security do I really need other software such
> > as Zone Alarm (current version does not work with Vista but a compatible
> > version is promised soon.
> > 2.. If I do need extra security software can anyone please offer any
> > experience based suggestions?

Paul Adare

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
In article <9E1C6D5F-1E54-4ACA-8520-91B5F74B0831@microsoft.com>,
in the microsoft.public.windows.vista.security news group, =?
Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?= <FireWall2@discussions.microsoft.com>
says...

> Hello Stan,
>
> Are you using Vista's BitLocker and Vista's Encrypted File System (EFS) ?
>
> Perhaps it's just me, because I practice very safe browing, but personally,
> I'm not convinced third party anti-virus applications are really needed or
> necessary while using BitLocker and EFS.

Neither BitLocker nor EFS provide you with anything even
approaching anti-virus protection. They are technologies that
are designed for a completely different purpose.

> What could a hacker or virus attack if they try attacking an 256 Encrypted
> Firewall? Maybe I'm over looking something, but don't think so.

The firewall is not encrypted. You're really not understanding
how either BDE or EFS work. If you open a document, or an email,
or what have you that contains a virus and you're not running an
anti-virus program you're going to get infected whether or not
you're using both BDE and EFS.

Your post is really, really bad advice.

--
Paul Adare - MVP Virtual Machines
Waiting for a bus is about as thrilling as fishing,

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
In another post you stated:
"Factually, Vista’s BitLocker is indeed the newest most high tech Firewall"
Does much of your incorrect information stem from this incorrect belief of
yours?
BitLocker is not a firewall, and is not intended to replace a firewall.

You really need to read up on the tools and their purposes.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"FireWall2" <FireWall2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Stan,
>
> Are you using Vista's BitLocker and Vista's Encrypted File System (EFS) ?
>
> Perhaps it's just me, because I practice very safe browing, but
> personally,
> I'm not convinced third party anti-virus applications are really needed or
> necessary while using BitLocker and EFS.
>
> What could a hacker or virus attack if they try attacking an 256 Encrypted
> Firewall? Maybe I'm over looking something, but don't think so.
> --
> Firewall

=?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=

Re: Does Vista need extra software for security?
Paul and Jupiter,

Please understand that fully I'm aware that Vista's Firewall is -NOT-
encrypted.

As you are fully aware, BitLocker fully Encrypts the OS. EFS fully encrypts
user defined files and/or folders.

As I previously shared, I practice very safe browsing and possibly only
Charlie Russell and I are the only individuals absent a/v, and then maybe
not.

My previous Post was not ridged advice. Instead, merely sharing my views, in
respect to a/v and Vista's incredible internal applications. Actually, too
many others practice the equal application as mine.

What works for others and my self, may not work for you... have faith and
courage for respecting Microsoft's Technology. Only requires a very short
time for reformatting and re-loading Vista.

However, if a person is using many third party applications that alone
increases the potential for intruders.

Safe hex prevents hostile intruders, considering my email is auto a/v scanned.

Thanks for your comments, might consider consulting with Guru Charlie.

--
Firewall