RE: Best Practices, Vista Logon Scripts

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?UmlkZXN5?=

RE: Best Practices, Vista Logon Scripts
Doug,

Did you get anywhere with this question, as I have a similar issue of UAC
asking for approval of a simple Server 2003 logon script for every user,
everytime they logon to the network and I can't see anyway to "add the logon
script as something that doesn't need approval"??

Jeremy

"Doug Walch" wrote:

> I'm interested to know if there is a Best Practices White Paper with respect
> to Vista Logon Scripts from Active Directory, addressing issues with UAC,
> mapping drives, registry keys etc. If not, there should be! TIA

Gerry Hickman

Re: Best Practices, Vista Logon Scripts
Hi Ridesy,

>> I'm interested to know if there is a Best Practices White Paper with respect
>> to Vista Logon Scripts from Active Directory, addressing issues with UAC,
>> mapping drives, registry keys etc. If not, there should be! TIA

What possible issues could there be?

If your logon script triggers UAC, it's probably a flawed logon script...

Logon scripts are for USERs only, they are not for anything that
requires administrative action.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
=?Utf-8?B?UmlkZXN5?=

Re: Best Practices, Vista Logon Scripts
Gerry,

Thanks for your two replies, but I still have the same issues:

1. The logon script just runs SBS Server 2003 "client\setup\setup.exe" and
nothing else.
2. If I have an account on a PC set-up as "Standard User" the problem is
even worse with UAC, as the same pop-up arrives, but without an admin
account/password the user can only cancel the setup.exe from running.

I am currently trying to find out what the heck the setup.exe set's up, but
I am a bit stunned that this must be a standard part of certainly SBS Server
2003 configuration and it appears it is going to be an issue with any PC
running Vista attaching to the domain.

Ridesy

"Gerry Hickman" wrote:

> Hi Ridesy,
>
> >> I'm interested to know if there is a Best Practices White Paper with respect
> >> to Vista Logon Scripts from Active Directory, addressing issues with UAC,
> >> mapping drives, registry keys etc. If not, there should be! TIA

> What possible issues could there be?
>
> If your logon script triggers UAC, it's probably a flawed logon script...
>
> Logon scripts are for USERs only, they are not for anything that
> requires administrative action.
>
> --
> Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Kerry Brown

Re: Best Practices, Vista Logon Scripts
Microsoft should have an update for SBS out soon. The setup.exe in the SBS
logon script is where SBS checks for and installs any programs, service
packs etc. that you have setup to automatically deploy to users. Typically
SP2, Outlook and IE are setup by default. The workaround is to disable the
logon script for Vista users and manage this manually until Microsoft has
the update for SBS ready.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Ridesy" <Ridesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Gerry,
>
> Thanks for your two replies, but I still have the same issues:
>
> 1. The logon script just runs SBS Server 2003 "client\setup\setup.exe" and
> nothing else.
> 2. If I have an account on a PC set-up as "Standard User" the problem is
> even worse with UAC, as the same pop-up arrives, but without an admin
> account/password the user can only cancel the setup.exe from running.
>
> I am currently trying to find out what the heck the setup.exe set's up,
> but
> I am a bit stunned that this must be a standard part of certainly SBS
> Server
> 2003 configuration and it appears it is going to be an issue with any PC
> running Vista attaching to the domain.
>
> Ridesy
>
> "Gerry Hickman" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ridesy,

>> What possible issues could there be?
>>
>> If your logon script triggers UAC, it's probably a flawed logon script...
>>
>> Logon scripts are for USERs only, they are not for anything that
>> requires administrative action.
>>
>> --
>> Gerry Hickman (London UK)

=?Utf-8?B?UmlkZXN5?=

Re: Best Practices, Vista Logon Scripts
Kerry,

Thank you for this information, look forward to SBS update!

In the meantime will disable for Vista test PC's, any hints on how to do this?

Ridesy

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Microsoft should have an update for SBS out soon. The setup.exe in the SBS
> logon script is where SBS checks for and installs any programs, service
> packs etc. that you have setup to automatically deploy to users. Typically
> SP2, Outlook and IE are setup by default. The workaround is to disable the
> logon script for Vista users and manage this manually until Microsoft has
> the update for SBS ready.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Ridesy" <Ridesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gerry,
> >
> > Thanks for your two replies, but I still have the same issues:
> >
> > 1. The logon script just runs SBS Server 2003 "client\setup\setup.exe" and
> > nothing else.
> > 2. If I have an account on a PC set-up as "Standard User" the problem is
> > even worse with UAC, as the same pop-up arrives, but without an admin
> > account/password the user can only cancel the setup.exe from running.
> >
> > I am currently trying to find out what the heck the setup.exe set's up,
> > but
> > I am a bit stunned that this must be a standard part of certainly SBS
> > Server
> > 2003 configuration and it appears it is going to be an issue with any PC
> > running Vista attaching to the domain.
> >
> > Ridesy
> >
> > "Gerry Hickman" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ridesy,

> >> What possible issues could there be?
> >>
> >> If your logon script triggers UAC, it's probably a flawed logon script...
> >>
> >> Logon scripts are for USERs only, they are not for anything that
> >> requires administrative action.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Kerry Brown

Re: Best Practices, Vista Logon Scripts
From the user screen in the SBS Server Management console double click the
user. Click on the Profile tab and remove or change the entry for the logon
script.