UAC and access to HKCR (Registry)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Michael Schwarz

UAC and access to HKCR (Registry)
Hi,

I have following problem: A simple file copy and COM registration tool
displays a dialog with "An unidentified program wants access to your
computer". I know that there are restricted user rights for administrators,
too, but is there any way to get rid of this messages (without having to
disable UAC)? I'm searching for something like using a certificate for this
application and put the certificate in the trusted publisher store. Using
makecert to test this doesn't work, maybe I did it wrong, is there any
step-by-step help?

Thanks for your help!

--
Best regards | Sch÷ne GrŘ▀e
Michael

Microsoft MVP - Most Valuable Professional (ASP/ASP.NET)

http://weblogs.asp.net/mschwarz/
http://www.ajaxpro.info/

Jimmy Brush

Re: UAC and access to HKCR (Registry)
Hello,

Any access to administrator-only areas such as HKLM will have to be done
from an elevated process. There is no way to specify that only that
particular application can elevate without prompting. This is to prevent
malicious applications from utilizing elevate-without-prompting applications
to elevate their own privileges.

Signing the file with a certificate may alter the appearance of the UAC
prompt (to make it appear less threatening), but it will not make the prompt
go away.

- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Michael Schwarz

Re: UAC and access to HKCR (Registry)
Hi Jimmy,

thanks for your reply.

> Signing the file with a certificate may alter the appearance of the UAC
> prompt (to make it appear less threatening), but it will not make the
> prompt go away.

I tried to put a MSI file in the Active Directory, and this MSI file could
write to the HKCR. So, is this maybe the solution to put everything in a MSI
file instead?

Michael

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: UAC and access to HKCR (Registry)
MSI files being plumbed down from AD are installed by the Windows Installer
service (I think) which is already running elevated. That is why those do not
require any kind of interaction.

If you want to you can just mark your entire installer to elevate using a
manifest file. That way you get the one prompt when you launch the installer
and after that it all runs elevated.

"Michael Schwarz" wrote:

> Hi Jimmy,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> > Signing the file with a certificate may alter the appearance of the UAC
> > prompt (to make it appear less threatening), but it will not make the
> > prompt go away.

> I tried to put a MSI file in the Active Directory, and this MSI file could
> write to the HKCR. So, is this maybe the solution to put everything in a MSI
> file instead?
>
> Michael

Alun Jones

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MSI files being plumbed down from AD are installed by the Windows
> Installer
> service (I think) which is already running elevated. That is why those do
> not
> require any kind of interaction.

Also, services don't get UAC - because a service generally has no user
interaction (which is a good thing), it will either have the right
privilege, or it won't have the right privilege to do a particular
operation.

Alun.
~~~~