IE7 protected mode

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?YWtpdGE=?=

IE7 protected mode
IE7 in Vista RTM build 6.6000 shows in its status bar “Internet | Protected
Mode Off”, even though I have protected mode enabled (which it is anyway by
default) as confirmed in Internet Tools | Security.

Now then, which one am I to trust/believe, IE7’s status bar message or the
Tools | Security checked settings?

Or is this just another bug in a buggy OS/browser??

Is there another way to confirm whether protected mode is on or of?

Any help and light on this one would be much appreciated.
=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbEQ=?=

RE: IE7 protected mode

"akita" wrote:
> Or is this just another bug in a buggy OS/browser??

you're another stupid user disabled the UAC.
DON'T BE STUPID! DON'T DISABLE IT!
=?Utf-8?B?YWtpdGE=?=

RE: IE7 protected mode
"BillD" wrote:

> you're another stupid user disabled the UAC.
> DON'T BE STUPID! DON'T DISABLE IT!

Your rather insulting remark not only shows bad taste, but also a certain
lack of brainpower. Then again, that ain’t my problem, nor my fight – this I
leave in your surely all too capable hands and mind.

Oh, and just to help poor BillD out, your comment should read: “...you're
another stupid user WHO disabled the UAC...”. Strictly speaking you don’t
need the article before UAC since you are merely using an abbreviation rather
than a full/true noun. But without the interrogative, or relative, pronoun
‘who’, your abuse makes even less sense, since ‘who’ is used as a function
word to introduce a relative clause. There you go, perhaps you learned
something.

However, I’m getting back to my point:

With Vista out of the box installed, UAC is throwing up warning and/or
confirmation windows left, right and centre, even for simple every-day
actions like copy, move, paste and delete. Now that level of invasiveness is
downright stupid since it will piss off most users rather sooner than later!

I have turned UAC off simply because I couldn’t find a way to customize it.
The help files are a tad obscure, and on-line help is next to useless. Oh,
before someone shoots his/her mouth off, I’m no dumb-ass newbie if it comes
to OS’s or software, or programming for that matter. In fact I’m lecturing
various IT strands at university level.

Anyway, don’t get me wrong, I do agree that UAC is a right step in the right
direction, but it needs to be far less intrusive than in its present
incarnation – as admitted pretty much by MS (the public release due out at
end of Jan / early Feb apparently will have a less intrusive / modified
implementation of UAC).

Another thing: without more detailed (and easily accessed) explanations,
users will be left wondering what the hell UAC is doing, or what indeed it’s
good for. Again, history has shown that users will be far more likely to dump
stuff that they don’t understand, particularly if it gets in the way of
every-day work. MS needs to work a hell of a lot harder on explaining UAC
properly and detailed, and in something resembling laymen’s terms.

Oh, and BTW, why should I get used to something that forces me to click on
two, sometimes three, extra warning dialogs for even simple tasks such as
copy, move, cut and paste? That’s a downright stupid suggestion and
implementation of an otherwise good idea!

Lastly, and getting back to my initial question in this thread, if
‘Protected Mode’ in IE7 is such a good thing – of which I am as yet not 100%
convinced due to a lack of more detailed information – why pack it together
with UAC instead of implementing it directly into IE7 (where it belongs)?
Again, this present implementation seems more like an afterthought than a
proper, initially planned part of the programming structure. Then again,
proper and strategic system analysing has never appeared to be a Redmond
programming hallmark.

It’s a shame really. I DO like Vista and much applaud Microsoft’s belated
approach towards more inbuilt security as well as other measures that are
part of Vista (though it remains a crying shame that so many initially
planned great innovations of Longhorn have simply be dumped, possibly due to
a lack of competence). Still, Vista could be great, and could have been a
true alternative to XP-SP2. However, the more I use Vista, the more it
appears to be a set of great ideas bundled together in a rather odd,
confusing and conflicting manner; rather restricting the user in too many
ways (almost presuming all users are little moron children) instead of
offering an intuitive interface that allows free workflow without constant
interruptions and restrictions.

This, amongst other issues with the current crop of Vista, will
unfortunately very much delay a broad and rapid market penetration. As it
stands at present, there is very, very little incentive for users who are
running a well configured and secured XP-SP2 setup to take the plunge and
give Vista the chance it should deserve. Many users will wait for Vista SP1 –
even if this will take 12-18 months as presently expected - preferring to sit
on the sidelines to see how this Vista will develop; and how soon software
and driver vendors will recode products to allow for full Vista
compatibility, which even now remains rather limited.

Issues like the badly implemented firewall, still in development Defender,
add-on OneCare (to be paid for instead of inbuilt!) and yes, that odd UAC
implementation, will not help sales, nor inspire the trust in Vista that it
should rightly deserve

The claimed out-of-the box and all-secure Vista experience remains elusive
for the time being, or at the least crippling the user’s fun and supposedly
intuitive experience.

=?Utf-8?B?YWtpdGE=?=

RE: IE7 protected mode
"BillD" wrote:

> you're another stupid user disabled the UAC.
> DON'T BE STUPID! DON'T DISABLE IT!

FYI, and just as an add-on to my previous reply:

Turning UAC on or off seems to make no difference to the behaviour of my IE7
under this Vista RTM installation. Even with UAC turned on with all default
settings (as confirmed in Group Policies, Internet Options and in the User
Accounts CP), IE7 still shows “Internet | Protected Mode Off” even after a
couple of restarts.

So much for that theory ...

Guess it’s some sort of a bug after all ...

Jeff

Re: IE7 protected mode
akita,

IE7 protected mode working fine here,
not buggy at all.

UAC is annoying at first, when you're installing lots of stuff, I'll agree,
UAC isn't bad, once you're done installing stuff, if applications are
designed for Vista, ya usually never see it.

And in my experience, the Vista firewall is working fine,
without paying for a 3rd party firewall.
Which actually, is saying lots,
XP's sucked bad.

Jeff

"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "BillD" wrote:
>
>> you're another stupid user disabled the UAC.
>> DON'T BE STUPID! DON'T DISABLE IT!

> FYI, and just as an add-on to my previous reply:
>
> Turning UAC on or off seems to make no difference to the behaviour of my
> IE7
> under this Vista RTM installation. Even with UAC turned on with all
> default
> settings (as confirmed in Group Policies, Internet Options and in the User
> Accounts CP), IE7 still shows “Internet | Protected Mode Off” even after a
> couple of restarts.
>
> So much for that theory ...
>
> Guess it’s some sort of a bug after all ...

John Barnett MVP

Re: IE7 protected mode
IE 7.0 does need UAC enabled for protected mode to work. If you disable UAC
you lose protected mode.
In actual fact, even with UAC enabled, i have had protected mode turn itself
off on some sites. Unfortunately i haven't found out why it does this. I
also bugged the problem of protected mode turning itself off during the beta
test of Vista, but the problem still persists even though i haven't disabled
UAC.
As Jeff say UAC is annoying at first but after a while you do get used to
it. It hasn't caused me any sleepless nights:-)

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

> IE7 in Vista RTM build 6.6000 shows in its status bar “Internet |
> Protected
> Mode Off”, even though I have protected mode enabled (which it is anyway
> by
> default) as confirmed in Internet Tools | Security.
>
> Now then, which one am I to trust/believe, IE7’s status bar message or the
> Tools | Security checked settings?
>
> Or is this just another bug in a buggy OS/browser??
>
> Is there another way to confirm whether protected mode is on or of?
>
> Any help and light on this one would be much appreciated.

Jeff

Re: IE7 protected mode
John,

ssshhhhh
If Jimmy B hears I said that-
I'll never here the end of it-lol

:-o

Jeff

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> IE 7.0 does need UAC enabled for protected mode to work. If you disable
> UAC you lose protected mode.
> In actual fact, even with UAC enabled, i have had protected mode turn
> itself off on some sites. Unfortunately i haven't found out why it does
> this. I also bugged the problem of protected mode turning itself off
> during the beta test of Vista, but the problem still persists even though
> i haven't disabled UAC.
> As Jeff say UAC is annoying at first but after a while you do get used to
> it. It hasn't caused me any sleepless nights:-)
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> IE7 in Vista RTM build 6.6000 shows in its status bar “Internet |
>> Protected
>> Mode Off”, even though I have protected mode enabled (which it is anyway
>> by
>> default) as confirmed in Internet Tools | Security.
>>
>> Now then, which one am I to trust/believe, IE7’s status bar message or
>> the
>> Tools | Security checked settings?
>>
>> Or is this just another bug in a buggy OS/browser??
>>
>> Is there another way to confirm whether protected mode is on or of?
>>
>> Any help and light on this one would be much appreciated.

John Barnett MVP

Re: IE7 protected mode
Oh dear, Jeff. I'm disappointed. I was just about to plaster the quote over
the front page of my websites:-) Damn! :-)

--

"Jeff" <S.Cerevisiae@duh.edu> wrote in message
> John,
>
> ssshhhhh
> If Jimmy B hears I said that-
> I'll never here the end of it-lol
>
> :-o
>
> Jeff
>
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> IE 7.0 does need UAC enabled for protected mode to work. If you disable
>> UAC you lose protected mode.
>> In actual fact, even with UAC enabled, i have had protected mode turn
>> itself off on some sites. Unfortunately i haven't found out why it does
>> this. I also bugged the problem of protected mode turning itself off
>> during the beta test of Vista, but the problem still persists even though
>> i haven't disabled UAC.
>> As Jeff say UAC is annoying at first but after a while you do get used to
>> it. It hasn't caused me any sleepless nights:-)
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
>> this mail/post..
>>
>> "akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> IE7 in Vista RTM build 6.6000 shows in its status bar “Internet |
>>> Protected
>>> Mode Off”, even though I have protected mode enabled (which it is anyway
>>> by
>>> default) as confirmed in Internet Tools | Security.
>>>
>>> Now then, which one am I to trust/believe, IE7’s status bar message or
>>> the
>>> Tools | Security checked settings?
>>>
>>> Or is this just another bug in a buggy OS/browser??
>>>
>>> Is there another way to confirm whether protected mode is on or of?
>>>
>>> Any help and light on this one would be much appreciated.

Alun Jones

Re: IE7 protected mode
"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> IE7 in Vista RTM build 6.6000 shows in its status bar "Internet |
> Protected
> Mode Off", even though I have protected mode enabled (which it is anyway
> by
> default) as confirmed in Internet Tools | Security.

I don't suppose you went searching Microsoft's site at all, did you?

Here's one link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...t_malware.mspx
"Protected Mode is enabled by default in Internet Explorer 7 for all
security zones except the Trusted Sites zone."

So, UAC or not, a site in the Trusted Sites zone is exempt from Protected
Mode, which is why you will find sites in your Trusted Sites zone open in a
different IE window from sites outside the Trusted list.

Alun.
~~~~

Jimmy Brush

Re: IE7 protected mode