Domain Password Expiration - Not Being Detected

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?UnlhblRY?=

Domain Password Expiration - Not Being Detected
I am running Vista Build 6000 from MSDN and my Windows domain user account is
set to expire in less than six days if I do not change my password. When I
login to XP or 2000/2003 systems, I am given the "You have six days to
change..." popup, but I have yet to get a prompt or notification from within
Vista after multiple reboots and logins. Did this feature get removed? I
am going to test out what happens by allowing my account to expire. I
suspect I may get a prompt when my password is truly expired, but in an odd
sort of way I miss being nagged. -=R=-
RCE Defiant

Re: Domain Password Expiration - Not Being Detected
"RyanTX" <RyanTX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista Build 6000 from MSDN and my Windows domain user account
>is
> set to expire in less than six days if I do not change my password. When
> login to XP or 2000/2003 systems, I am given the "You have six days to
> change..." popup, but I have yet to get a prompt or notification from
> within
> Vista after multiple reboots and logins. Did this feature get removed?
> am going to test out what happens by allowing my account to expire. I
> suspect I may get a prompt when my password is truly expired, but in an
> odd
> sort of way I miss being nagged. -=R=-

That is just a balloon in the system tray now in Vista.

--
RCE Defiant

=?Utf-8?B?UnlhblRY?=

RE: Domain Password Expiration - Not Being Detected
Well, I now see that there is a balloon notice when I first login after
rebooting that notifies me about the password change, but it does not require
your attention. The problem I have is that the users who will be switching
to Vista this year may not see these balloons and I will be forced to
continually assist them when their accounts get locked out. Is there a
group policy setting that can force a more blatant password change prompt?
-=R=-

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: Domain Password Expiration - Not Being Detected
No, nothing built in, but I don't understand the exact problem. If the
password has expired they will still be forced to change it at logon. The
reminder is just for when the password has not expired.

I also do not understand what this has to do with account lockout.

"RyanTX" wrote:

> Well, I now see that there is a balloon notice when I first login after
> rebooting that notifies me about the password change, but it does not require
> your attention. The problem I have is that the users who will be switching
> to Vista this year may not see these balloons and I will be forced to
> continually assist them when their accounts get locked out. Is there a
> group policy setting that can force a more blatant password change prompt?
> -=R=-

Alun Jones

Re: Domain Password Expiration - Not Being Detected
Sometimes it takes a while to think up a really good password (I'm told) -
staring around the room until you see a couple of objects whose relationship
you'll remember next time you log on.

Me, I always try to make sure that I don't change my password on a Friday.
By Monday, I'll have forgotten it.

Teach your users to obey the balloons.

Alun.
~~~~

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No, nothing built in, but I don't understand the exact problem. If the
> password has expired they will still be forced to change it at logon. The
> reminder is just for when the password has not expired.
>
> I also do not understand what this has to do with account lockout.
>
> "RyanTX" wrote:
>
>> Well, I now see that there is a balloon notice when I first login after
>> rebooting that notifies me about the password change, but it does not
>> require
>> your attention. The problem I have is that the users who will be
>> switching
>> to Vista this year may not see these balloons and I will be forced to
>> continually assist them when their accounts get locked out. Is there a
>> group policy setting that can force a more blatant password change
>> prompt?
>> -=R=-

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: Domain Password Expiration - Not Being Detected
Why not write the password on a small piece of paper and stick it in your
wallet until you remember it. Then you shred/burn/eat the paper. Chances are
you protect your wallet at least as well as the data on your computer, so the
risk is not great there.

"Alun Jones" wrote:

> Sometimes it takes a while to think up a really good password (I'm told) -
> staring around the room until you see a couple of objects whose relationship
> you'll remember next time you log on.
>
> Me, I always try to make sure that I don't change my password on a Friday.
> By Monday, I'll have forgotten it.
>
> Teach your users to obey the balloons.
>
> Alun.
> ~~~~
>
> "Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No, nothing built in, but I don't understand the exact problem. If the
> > password has expired they will still be forced to change it at logon. The
> > reminder is just for when the password has not expired.
> >
> > I also do not understand what this has to do with account lockout.
> >
> > "RyanTX" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I now see that there is a balloon notice when I first login after
> >> rebooting that notifies me about the password change, but it does not
> >> require
> >> your attention. The problem I have is that the users who will be
> >> switching
> >> to Vista this year may not see these balloons and I will be forced to
> >> continually assist them when their accounts get locked out. Is there a
> >> group policy setting that can force a more blatant password change
> >> prompt?
> >> -=R=-

Detlev Rackow

Jesper schrieb:
> No, nothing built in, but I don't understand the exact problem. If the
> password has expired they will still be forced to change it at logon. The
> reminder is just for when the password has not expired.
>
> I also do not understand what this has to do with account lockout.

Jesper, this can actually create a lockout-problem, because the password
does not expire on a given day, but on a given second. If the user logs
in at i.e. 7:30 am, and the password expires at 8:20 am, he will lose
access to some programs which require windows authentification, like OE
with Exchange, ISA-proxyservers, SQL-Servers etc.

Since I worked 5 years in end-user support, I have seen a lot of users
effectively locked out by this, especially if they reacted wrong and
tried just to force their way into these applications by reentering
their password into the authentification-popup of IE.

Regards,

Detlev
=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: Domain Password Expiration - Not Being Detected
Makes a really good argument for reading what is in the dialogs, doesn't it?

I do sort of agree though. I don't really like this new design. The task bar
is WAY overloaded with crap that you don't care about. I'm running OneCare
right now and it is driving me up a wall telling me every three minutes that
it has set its firewall to restricted mode because it discovered a new
network, when in reality, it just dropped the wireless connection for me,
again.