Removing bitlocker partition

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Tony Linguini

Removing bitlocker partition
Is there a way to remove the bitlocker partition after installing Vista? Can
I use the method from Vista Clues but in reverse? What are the downfalls?
Thanks in advance.
Tony

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: Removing bitlocker partition
Not sure about what the method is from Vista Clues, but you can just use the
Disk Management portion of the Computer Management snap-in. You would delete
the BitLocker partition and then right-click the other partition and select
expand.

WARNING: all this assumes you have already made the main partition active
and copied the boot files over there. If not you will soon become familiar
with the recovery features in Vista.

"Tony Linguini" wrote:

> Is there a way to remove the bitlocker partition after installing Vista? Can
> I use the method from Vista Clues but in reverse? What are the downfalls?
> Thanks in advance.
> Tony

Jamie Hunter [MS]

Re: Removing bitlocker partition
The big caveat is in Jesper's warning below. The reason why the BitLocker
team is providing a configuration tool is because of the pitfalls of
manually moving boot files. To do it correctly there is a number of entries
in BCD that must be edited as well as the physical move of the boot files.
In study, we found this too dangerous.

For anyone reading this who are installing & configuring BitLocker, I
*strongly* recommend either:
(1) Partitioning the system before installing Vista, or
(2) Waiting for the configuration tool rather than moving boot files
manually.

Did BitLocker cause problems for you Tony? Are you running out of disk space
that merging the partitions is important?
-
Jamie Hunter [MS]

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure about what the method is from Vista Clues, but you can just use
> the
> Disk Management portion of the Computer Management snap-in. You would
> delete
> the BitLocker partition and then right-click the other partition and
> select
> expand.
>
> WARNING: all this assumes you have already made the main partition active
> and copied the boot files over there. If not you will soon become familiar
> with the recovery features in Vista.
>

> "Tony Linguini" wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to remove the bitlocker partition after installing Vista?
>> Can
>> I use the method from Vista Clues but in reverse? What are the downfalls?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Tony

Tony Linguini

Re: Removing bitlocker partition
Not problems, but my board is not TPM compliant. I tested and used bitlocker
without TPM, but this is my desktop and I am going to use it on the new
tablet that I am ordering. I will wait for the tool, or maybe buy a larger
hard drive and re-install. Thanks for the info.
Tony