Without prejudice, but OneCare sucks big time

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?YWtpdGE=?=

Without prejudice, but OneCare sucks big time
Without prejudice, but OneCare sucks big time – and yes, I do realise it’s a
beta. I’m using the Vista Ultimate RTM release, and OneCare could not detect
(let alone combat) one virus and one Trojan on our testbed system. OneCare’s
tuning option removes files nilly-wily without letting the user know what it
removed. Turned out it removed system files needed by other software to run!
OneCare’s firewall (which replaces the Vista firewall) is even less
dependable / customizable, even though it offers full bothy-way protection
out of the box. OneCare’s insistence on having Automatic Updates turned on is
also rather annoying; after all the user should have the option whether s/he
wants that feature or not – and a lot of people do not want to be alerted on
a daily basis about some minor crappy updates that do little, if anything, to
improve performance or security!

Microsoft really needs to rethink its strategy and approach to all aspects
of security as a matter of priority. By attempting to block third-party
vendors from supplying solid, reliable security software, Microsoft leaves
Vista wide open to code hackers and other malware suppliers. Quite frankly,
Microsoft’s reputation for delivering reliable and trustworthy security
applications is at best very, very low! Until people can trust Vista, Vista
sales will be slower than a snail on speed!

Personally, I am running Vista Ultimate with Nod32 for anti virus
protection, and make the most out of the inbuilt firewall, which - with a bit
of tuning - is well capable of monitoring and preventing traffic in both
directions. A little free utility called “Vista Firewall Control” from
Castlecops helps tremendously in that task.

But make no mistake, as soon as other software vendors have managed to
release reliable security software products for Vista (Agnitum, Kaspersky,
AVG et al) I will definitely employ one of their firewall products, dumping
Microsoft’s Defender and firewall for good! Unfortunately Trend Micro’s beta
security package expires on 31-12-2006. Though very capable, it was a massive
resource hog (+/-170MB) and did not allow any other antivirus program on the
system, which I frankly find rather off putting!

On a final note, I find Microsoft’s behaviour utterly disgraceful. Vista is
definitely a nice step up, but Microsoft’s blatant attempt of trying to
corner the security market is not only anti-competitive, but almost criminal,
given Microsoft’s poorer then poor history of OS security!

Let’s hope justice will be served in a similar manner as when Microsoft was
told to refrain from forcing people to use just their browser, just their
media player and so on!!!

=?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=

RE: Without prejudice, but OneCare sucks big time
Obviously, you must be consuming too many drugs.

You have severely underestimating Vista, Defender and One Care Live.

If you would like experiencing using the most inferior OS on the Globe, try
using applications from Sun Microsystems. The experience will demonstrate the
secondary results from using open source code.

Then perhaps, you could be one of many employees of Sun spreading myth and
rumor for novelty. Too many of those folks spend too much time within this
forum.
--
Firewall

"akita" wrote:

> Without prejudice, but OneCare sucks big time – and yes, I do realise it’s a
> beta. I’m using the Vista Ultimate RTM release, and OneCare could not detect
> (let alone combat) one virus and one Trojan on our testbed system. OneCare’s
> tuning option removes files nilly-wily without letting the user know what it
> removed. Turned out it removed system files needed by other software to run!
> OneCare’s firewall (which replaces the Vista firewall) is even less
> dependable / customizable, even though it offers full bothy-way protection
> out of the box. OneCare’s insistence on having Automatic Updates turned on is
> also rather annoying; after all the user should have the option whether s/he
> wants that feature or not – and a lot of people do not want to be alerted on
> a daily basis about some minor crappy updates that do little, if anything, to
> improve performance or security!
>
> Microsoft really needs to rethink its strategy and approach to all aspects
> of security as a matter of priority. By attempting to block third-party
> vendors from supplying solid, reliable security software, Microsoft leaves
> Vista wide open to code hackers and other malware suppliers. Quite frankly,
> Microsoft’s reputation for delivering reliable and trustworthy security
> applications is at best very, very low! Until people can trust Vista, Vista
> sales will be slower than a snail on speed!
>
> Personally, I am running Vista Ultimate with Nod32 for anti virus
> protection, and make the most out of the inbuilt firewall, which - with a bit
> of tuning - is well capable of monitoring and preventing traffic in both
> directions. A little free utility called “Vista Firewall Control” from
> Castlecops helps tremendously in that task.
>
> But make no mistake, as soon as other software vendors have managed to
> release reliable security software products for Vista (Agnitum, Kaspersky,
> AVG et al) I will definitely employ one of their firewall products, dumping
> Microsoft’s Defender and firewall for good! Unfortunately Trend Micro’s beta
> security package expires on 31-12-2006. Though very capable, it was a massive
> resource hog (+/-170MB) and did not allow any other antivirus program on the
> system, which I frankly find rather off putting!
>
> On a final note, I find Microsoft’s behaviour utterly disgraceful. Vista is
> definitely a nice step up, but Microsoft’s blatant attempt of trying to
> corner the security market is not only anti-competitive, but almost criminal,
> given Microsoft’s poorer then poor history of OS security!
>
> Let’s hope justice will be served in a similar manner as when Microsoft was
> told to refrain from forcing people to use just their browser, just their
> media player and so on!!!

Peter M

"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Without prejudice, but OneCare sucks big time – and yes, I do realise it’s
> beta. I’m using the Vista Ultimate RTM release, and OneCare could not
> detect
> (let alone combat) one virus and one Trojan on our testbed system. OneCare’s
> tuning option removes files nilly-wily without letting the user know what
> it
> removed. Turned out it removed system files needed by other software to
> run!
> OneCare’s firewall (which replaces the Vista firewall) is even less
> dependable / customizable, even though it offers full bothy-way protection
> out of the box. OneCare’s insistence on having Automatic Updates turned on
> is
> also rather annoying; after all the user should have the option whether
> s/he
> wants that feature or not – and a lot of people do not want to be alerted
> on
> a daily basis about some minor crappy updates that do little, if anything,
> improve performance or security!

And those forgetting they've had updates turned off and realize 6 mths later
"duh" is not exactly safe either.

> Microsoft really needs to rethink its strategy and approach to all aspects
> of security as a matter of priority. By attempting to block third-party
> vendors from supplying solid, reliable security software, Microsoft leaves
> Vista wide open to code hackers and other malware suppliers. Quite
> frankly,
> Microsoft’s reputation for delivering reliable and trustworthy security
> applications is at best very, very low! Until people can trust Vista,
> Vista
> sales will be slower than a snail on speed!

MS hasn't blocked anybody. It's not their fault that Symantec and MacAfee
are to lazy to rewrite the code for their products to run on Vista (oh and
having Norton/McAfee having to resort to rootkits and kernel hooks in order
for their AVs to run is totally irresponsible... it was time MS locked the
kernel and said "no more")

> Personally, I am running Vista Ultimate with Nod32 for anti virus
> protection, and make the most out of the inbuilt firewall, which - with a
> bit
> of tuning - is well capable of monitoring and preventing traffic in both
> directions. A little free utility called “Vista Firewall Control” from
> Castlecops helps tremendously in that task.
>
> But make no mistake, as soon as other software vendors have managed to
> release reliable security software products for Vista (Agnitum, Kaspersky,
> AVG et al) I will definitely employ one of their firewall products,
> dumping
> Microsoft’s Defender and firewall for good! Unfortunately Trend Micro’s
> beta
> security package expires on 31-12-2006. Though very capable, it was a
> massive
> resource hog (+/-170MB) and did not allow any other antivirus program on
> the
> system, which I frankly find rather off putting!
>
> On a final note, I find Microsoft’s behaviour utterly disgraceful. Vista
> is
> definitely a nice step up, but Microsoft’s blatant attempt of trying to
> corner the security market is not only anti-competitive, but almost
> criminal,
> given Microsoft’s poorer then poor history of OS security!

One Care is not free so therefore there is no anti-competitiveness involved.

> Let’s hope justice will be served in a similar manner as when Microsoft
> was
> told to refrain from forcing people to use just their browser, just their
> media player and so on!!!

Again, OneCare is not free so there's no justice to be served.