remote access Vista through RDC?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Polaris

remote access Vista through RDC?
Hi Experts:

I have been trying to make my Vista remotely accessible through Remote
Desktop Connection from a Windows XP, both machines are on the same subnet
and can ping each other, but not successful. I have turned off the Vista
Firewall, turned on all terminal services and remote access related
services. What am I missing?

Thanks in Advance!
Polaris

Synapse Syndrome

Re: remote access Vista through RDC?
"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Experts:
>
> I have been trying to make my Vista remotely accessible through Remote
> Desktop Connection from a Windows XP, both machines are on the same subnet
> and can ping each other, but not successful. I have turned off the Vista
> Firewall, turned on all terminal services and remote access related
> services. What am I missing?

From a earlier post from bassie``:

http://www.tweakvista.eu/show_tweak.php?tweak=114

ss.

Re: remote access Vista through RDC?

You might benefit from installing the latest RDC client if you haven't
already.

Colin T
"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Experts:
>
> I have been trying to make my Vista remotely accessible through Remote
> Desktop Connection from a Windows XP, both machines are on the same subnet
> and can ping each other, but not successful. I have turned off the Vista
> Firewall, turned on all terminal services and remote access related
> services. What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in Advance!
> Polaris

Polaris

Got it .. Re: remote access Vista through RDC?
Thanks guys for your help. I also forgot to make changes on Control Panel -
Systems - Remote Settings ...

Polaris
"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Experts:
>
> I have been trying to make my Vista remotely accessible through Remote
> Desktop Connection from a Windows XP, both machines are on the same subnet
> and can ping each other, but not successful. I have turned off the Vista
> Firewall, turned on all terminal services and remote access related
> services. What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in Advance!
> Polaris

Nick Savoiu

Re: Got it .. Re: remote access Vista through RDC?
I have a similar problem getting from XP --RDP--> Vista.

I have:

1. Remote Desktop set to "Any version of RD"

2. RDP 6.0 installed on XP

3. Firewall on with RDP excepted or no firewall

still I cannot connect. If I reboot the Vista machine in XP then I can
connect XP -> XP just fine so I don't think it's anything in the LAN setup.

When the firewall is on, I can see the RDP packets being dropped even though
a rule allowing RDP is enabled in all profiles.

More so the firewall seems to turn itself off at random even though the
network setup has not changed.

What's weird is that even if the firewall is off I cannot ping the Vista
machine.

Vista has been very frustrating for me from the get go...

Any ideas?

Nick

> Thanks guys for your help. I also forgot to make changes on Control
> Panel - Systems - Remote Settings ...
>
> Polaris
> "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Experts:
>>
>> I have been trying to make my Vista remotely accessible through Remote
>> Desktop Connection from a Windows XP, both machines are on the same
>> subnet and can ping each other, but not successful. I have turned off the
>> Vista Firewall, turned on all terminal services and remote access related
>> services. What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance!
>> Polaris

Rick Rogers

Re: Got it .. Re: remote access Vista through RDC?
Hi,

Click start, type FIREWALL and choose the second one from the menu (not the
advanced version). Go to the General tab, make sure "Block all incoming
connections" is not checked. If it is, all exceptions are ignored and any
attempt at RDP will not go through. While there, recheck the exceptions tab
to make sure RDP is indeed enabled.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Hi,

Hi Rick,

> Click start, type FIREWALL and choose the second one from the menu (not
> the advanced version). Go to the General tab, make sure "Block all
> incoming connections" is not checked.

No.

>If it is, all exceptions are ignored and any attempt at RDP will not go
>through. While there, recheck the exceptions tab to make sure RDP is indeed
>enabled.

And no. :|

I'm at wits' end on this.

Nick

> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Nick Savoiu" <edu_uci_ics@_savoiu_> wrote in message
>>I have a similar problem getting from XP --RDP--> Vista.
>>
>> I have:
>>
>> 1. Remote Desktop set to "Any version of RD"
>>
>> 2. RDP 6.0 installed on XP
>>
>> 3. Firewall on with RDP excepted or no firewall
>>
>> still I cannot connect. If I reboot the Vista machine in XP then I can
>> connect XP -> XP just fine so I don't think it's anything in the LAN
>> setup.
>>
>> When the firewall is on, I can see the RDP packets being dropped even
>> though a rule allowing RDP is enabled in all profiles.
>>
>> More so the firewall seems to turn itself off at random even though the
>> network setup has not changed.
>>
>> What's weird is that even if the firewall is off I cannot ping the Vista
>> machine.
>>
>> Vista has been very frustrating for me from the get go...
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks guys for your help. I also forgot to make changes on Control
>>> Panel - Systems - Remote Settings ...
>>>
>>> Polaris

Jimmy Brush

Re: Got it .. Re: remote access Vista through RDC?
Hello,

Do not have any third-party security software installed that may be
affecting things?

- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Nick Savoiu

Re: Got it .. Re: remote access Vista through RDC?
I have OneCare Beta. But I've selected "All computers, including those on
the Internet" for Remote Desktop under Advanced Firewall settings.

What's weird is that even if I drop all the firewalls I think can't connect.

Nick

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Do not have any third-party security software installed that may be
> affecting things?
>

> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Nick Savoiu

Re: Got it .. Re: remote access Vista through RDC?
Just for "fun" I installed Vista again on a different partition on the same
machine. This time I did no install OneCare Beta.

Guess what? Remote Desktop works like a charm.

Nick